I hold a master’s degree in Information Systems from Drexel University, USA, and a Bachelor of Science in Information Systems from Imam University, KSA, where I was awarded the degree with a first honour degree. I am a lecturer in the Information Systems Department at Imam University, where I intend to teach and research in the area of Information Science besides working with local organizations in Saudi Arabia to solve problems related to Information Science.
The Role of Online Support Groups in Empowering People with Type 2 Diabetes in the United Kingdom
The overall aim of my PhD research is to investigate the influence of online support groups on patient empowerment for people with Type 2 diabetes in the UK. The study will provide insights about factors that influence patient empowerment and the treatment decisions for patients, group differences with regard to empowerment, the impact of empowerment on patients’ decisions and health.
My research interests lie in the areas of Information Science, Data Science, Computer-Mediated Communication and Health Informatics. I am keen on understanding how social networks are being used by the public and their impacts on them. I am deeply interested in knowing how humans use technology to communicate and how culture and gender influences such use.
Events and conference presentations
iConference 2018, Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, iConference 2019, MedInfo 2019.
Funding and awards
• Recipient of Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau scholarship achievement rewards.
• Recipient of Dean’s Fellowship Award at Drexel University, 2016.
• Recipient of Imam University Continuing Studies Scholarship, 2014.
• First-In-Class Award, BSc in Information Systems, Imam University, 2012.
- Almanea A, Bath P & Sbaffi L (2019) Empowering people with type two diabetes through online support groups. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 171(Suppl), 3-3. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Almanea A, Bath P & Sbaffia L (2019) Online support groups as a source of empowerment for people with type 2 diabetes. MEDINFO 2019: Health and Wellbeing e-Networks for All, Vol. 264 (pp 1893-1894). Lyons, France, 25 August 2019 - 30 August 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Almanea A, Bath P & Sbaffi L (2018) The role of online support groups in empowering people with type 2 diabetes. iConference 2018 Proceedings. Sheffield, UK, 25 March 2018 - 28 March 2018. View this article in WRRO