Location: Information School, Regent Court - RC-318
Project title: A naturalistic study of how children use search engines in the primary school classroom
Supervisors: Professor Paul Clough; Professor Elaine Toms
Project description: In this PhD I hope to identify the type of search tasks that primary-age children conduct for their school work, gain an understanding of how search tasks are performed in the school environment, and discover how information found in search tasks is used.
Research interests: Information-seeking behaviour, information retrieval and human computer interaction.
Background/experience: In 1993, I started my career as an online publications co-ordinator for Donovan Data Systems (now Media Ocean), and then in 2000 moved to Futura Interactive, a new media agency, to work as a project manager delivering the design, redesign and localisation of a major ecommerce site. Between 2001 and 2006 I worked for the Port of London Authority as their Web and Communications manager, and was responsible for the development, implementation and delivery of the Port of London website and other communication technologies for the dissemination of all strategic and operational information relating to the PLA, the tidal River Thames and the Port of London.
While at The University of Sheffield I have worked as a research associate for a project on the role of interlending in public libraries and as a research assistant for two projects, The Secret Life of a Weather Datum and How People Explore Culture and Heritage Objects.
- Birdi B, Wakeling S, pinfield S & rutter S (2016) Interlending in UK public libraries: mapping the current and future landscape. Cilip Update, 43-45. View this article in WRRO
- Wakeling S, Rutter S, Birdi B & Pinfield S (2016) Interlending and resource sharing in UK public libraries: A mixed methods study. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science. View this article in WRRO
- Rutter S, Ford N & Clough P (2015) How do children reformulate their search queries?. INFORMATION RESEARCH-AN INTERNATIONAL ELECTRONIC JOURNAL, 20(1).
Conference proceedings papers
- Rutter S, Blinzler V, Ye C, Twidale MB & Wilson ML (2017) Complex search task: How to make a phone safe for a child. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1798 (pp 34-36)
- Rutter S (2014) Primary school children's single topic search over multiple search sessions: Does search evolve?. Proceedings of the 5th Information Interaction in Context Symposium, IIiX 2014 (pp 330-332)
- Hall M, Villa R, Rutter SA, Bell D, Clough P & Toms E (2013) Shefleld submission to the CHiC interactive task: Exploring digital cultural heritage. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1179
- Villa R, Clough P, Hall M & Rutter S (2013) Search or browse? Casual information access to a cultural heritage collection. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1033 (pp 19-22)
- Birdi B, Pinfield S, Wakeling S & Rutter S (2015) Investigating interlending: a scoping study of resource discovery, sharing and cooperation View this article in WRRO