How to Apply
To apply for postgraduate study, you will need to provide the following:
- A completed application form. Most people use our quick and easy Postgraduate Online Application Form, but if you do not have regular internet access you may apply using a paper form.
- A supporting statement of about 300 words saying why you would like to take the course, the skills and experiences you will bring to it, why you wish to study at Sheffield and how you expect it to help your future career.
- Two references. These should be supplied and signed by academic staff at institutions where you have studied previously. They must be presented on the official letter-headed paper of the relevant institution. If you have been out of education for the last two years, you can send one academic reference plus one from your current employer if you wish. Please note that for applications to the MA Librarianship course, it is preferable to supply one academic reference and one reference relating to work experience in the librarianship field.
- Proof of your undergraduate degree qualification. This should be an academic transcript or certificate. If you have yet to graduate, please send your most recent transcript, showing your results to date. If this is not written in English an official translation is required.
- English language certificates (EU and International applicants).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) / Resume.
If you would like more information about supporting documents, you can find it here
If you do not have all your documents ready, you can still apply and provide these later.
You do not need to wait for final examination results or references before you apply. The University of Sheffield can issue conditional offer letters if you have not taken your final examinations or English language qualifications.
Some of our courses require applicants to attend an interview. The interview sessions are also excellent opportunities for candidates to get the chance to meet other members of teaching staff, hear more about the programmes, meet students currently on the programmes and see the school facilities.
To apply, please use our Postgraduate Online Application Form.
To request a paper application form, please contact the University's Admissions Service.