Dr Jo Bates
Senior Lecturer in Information Politics and Policy
BA (Keele), MA (Nottingham), MA (Manchester Metropolitan), PhD (Manchester Metropolitan)
- Co-editor of Online Information Review journal (2016-present)
- Editorial Advisory Board for Big Data and Society
- Co-founder and co-organiser of international Data Power conference since 2015
- AHRC-funded research project - The Secret Life of a Weather Datum - cited by RCUK in their submission to the UK government inquiry on the Big Data Dilemma
- Gave oral evidence as an invited international expert on Open Government Data to a public hearing of the Canadian Federal Parliament
- Invited speaker at ERC funded Data and the City workshop organised by Prof. Rob Kitchin
- Peer reviewer of grant applications and research articles for ESRC, Big Data and Society, Policy and Internet, Social Theory and Health, Government Information Quarterly, Journal of Further and Higher Education, iConference.
- Speaker at various external events including Yorkshire and Humberside Information Governance Group, Department for Work and Pensions, White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership.
- Research has been reported by a number of media outlets, including Forbes, New Statesman, BBC Radio Sheffield.
- Advisory Board for EPSRC funded research project: Everyday Growing Cultures in the North of England: participation, citizenship and local economies