The following is a selection of recent publications. A full list can be found here.
- Twaroch FA, Brindley PG, Clough P, Jones CB, Pasley RC & Mansbridge S (2019) Investigating behavioural and computational approaches for defining imprecise regions. Spatial Cognition and Computation, 19(2), 146-171. View this article in WRRO
- Rutter S, Clough PD & Toms E (2018) How the information use environment influences search activities: a case of English primary schools. Journal of Documentation. View this article in WRRO
- Wakeling S, Clough PD, Connaway L, Sen B & Tomas D (2017) Users and uses of a global union catalog: A mixed‐methods study of WorldCat.org. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 68(9), 2166-2181. View this article in WRRO
- Haley AN & Clough PD (2017) Affective Experiences of International and Home Students During the Information Search Process. New Review of Academic Librarianship. View this article in WRRO
- Rao MAN, Stevenson & Clough PD (2016) An IR-Based Approach Utilizing Query Expansion for Plagiarism Detection in MEDLINE. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 14(4), 796-804. View this article in WRRO
- Wakeling S, Clough PD, Wyper J & Balmain A (2015) Graph Literacy and Business Intelligence: Investigating User Understanding of Dashboard Data Visualizations. Business Intelligence Journal, 20(4), 8-19. View this article in WRRO
- Rutter S, Ford N & Clough P (2015) How do children reformulate their search queries?. INFORMATION RESEARCH-AN INTERNATIONAL ELECTRONIC JOURNAL, 20(1).
- Elbedweihy KM, Wrigley SN, Clough P & Ciravegna F (2015) An overview of semantic search evaluation initiatives. Journal of Web Semantics, 30, 82-105. View this article in WRRO
- Goodale P, Clough P, Fernando S, Ford N & Stevenson M (2014) Cognitive styles within an exploratory search system for digital libraries. Journal of Documentation, 70, 970-996. View this article in WRRO
- Hall MM, Fernando S, Clough PD, Soroa A, Agirre E & Stevenson M (2014) Evaluating hierarchical organisation structures for exploring digital libraries. Information Retrieval, 17(4), 351-379. View this article in WRRO
- Nawab RMA, Stevenson M & Clough P (2014) Comparing Medline citations using modified N-grams. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 21(1), 105-110.
- Clough PD, Sanderson M & Wan-Chik R (2013) Investigating Religious Information Searching through the Analysis of a Search Engine Log. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 64(12), 2492-2506.
- Clough P & Sanderson M (2013) Evaluating the performance of information retrieval systems using test collections. Information Research, 18(2). View this article in WRRO
- Hurst P & Clough P (2013) Will we be lost without paper maps in the digital age?. Journal of Information Science, 39(1), 48-60.
- Darby P & Clough P (2013) Investigating the information-seeking behaviour of genealogists and family historians. Journal of Information Science, 39(1), 73-84.
- Sedghi S, Sanderson M & Clough P (2013) How do healthcare professionals select the medical images they need?. Aslib Proceedings, 65(1), 54-72.
- Clough P, Sanderson M, Tang J, Gollins T & Warner A (2013) Examining the limits of crowdsourcing for relevance assessment. IEEE Internet Computing, 17(4), 32-38.
- Clough PD, Aletras N & Stevenson M (2012) Computing Similarity between Items in a Digital Library of Cultural Heritage. Journal on Computing and Cultural Heritage, 5(4), 1-19.
- Wakeling S, Clough P, Sen B & Connaway LS (2012) "Readers who borrowed this also borrowed...": Recommender systems in UK libraries. Library Hi Tech, 30(1), 134-150. View this article in WRRO
- Sedghi S, Sanderson M & Clough PD (2012) How do health care professionals select medical images they need?. Aslib Proceedings, 64(4), 437-456.
- Whittaker S, Kalnikaite V, Petrelli D, Sellen A, Villar N, Bergman O, Clough P & Brockmeier J (2012) Socio-Technical Lifelogging: Deriving Design Principles for a Future Proof Digital Past. Human–Computer Interaction, 27(1-2), 37-62.
- Clough P & Stevenson M (2011) Developing a corpus of plagiarised short answers. Language Resources and Evaluation, 45(1), 5-24. View this article in WRRO
- Clough P, Tang JY, Hall MM & Warner A (2011) Linking archival data to location: a case study at the UK National Archives. Aslib Proceedings, 63(2-3), 127-147.
- Cox A, Clough P & Siersdorfer S (2011) Developing metrics to characterize Flickr groups. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 62(3), 493-506. View this article in WRRO
- Whittaker S, Bergman O & Clough PD (2010) Easy on that trigger dad: a study of long term family photo retrieval.. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 14, 31-43. View this article in WRRO
- Clough PD, Sedghi S & Sanderson M (2008) A Study on the Relevance Criteria for Medical Images. Pattern Recognition Letters, 29, 2046-2057. View this article in WRRO
- Jones CB, Purves RS, Clough PD & Joho H (2008) Modelling vague places with knowledge from the Web. International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 22(10), 1045-1065. View this article in WRRO
- Rorissa A, Clough P & Deselaers T (2008) Exploring the relationship between feature and perceptual visual spaces.. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 59, 770-784.
- Purves RS, Clough PD, Jones CB, Arampatzis A, Bucher B, Finch D, Fu G, Joho H, Syed AK, Vaid S & Yang B (2007) The design and implementation of SPIRIT: a spatially aware search engine for information retrieval on the Internet.. International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 21, 717-745. View this article in WRRO
- Clough P & Sanderson M (2006) User experiments with the Eurovision cross-language image retrieval system.. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 57, 697-708. View this article in WRRO
- Russell-Rose T & Clough P (2016) Mining search logs for usage patterns, Text Mining and Visualization: Case Studies Using Open-Source Tools (pp. 153-172).
- Clough P, Hall M, Goodale P & Stevenson (2015) Supporting Exploration and Use of Digital Cultural Heritage Materials: the PATHS Perspective In Ruthven I & Chowdhury GG (Ed.), Cultural Heritage Information Access and Management (pp. 197-220). Facet Publishing View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Otterbacher J, Checco A, Demartini G & Clough P (2018) Investigating User Perception of Gender Bias in Image Search. The 41st International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research & Development in Information Retrieval - SIGIR '18, 8 July 2018 - 12 July 2018.
- Otterbacher J, Bates J & Clough PD (2017) Competent Men and Warm Women: Gender Stereotypes and Backlash in Image Search Results. Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 6 May 2017 - 11 May 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Carterette B, Clough P, Hall M, Kanoulas E & Sanderson M (2016) Evaluating Retrieval over Sessions. Proceedings of the 39th International ACM SIGIR conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval - SIGIR '16, 17 July 2016 - 21 July 2016.
- Wakeling S, Clough P & Sen B (2014) Investigating the potential impact of non-personalized recommendations in the OPAC. Proceedings of the 5th Information Interaction in Context Symposium on - IIiX '14, 26 August 2014 - 30 August 2014.