Dr Frank Hopfgartner
- Steering committee member of the Information Retrieval Special Interest Group of The Chartered Institute for IT (BCS IRSG, since 2017).
- Member of the editorial board of the Information Processing & Management Journal (Elsevier, since 2016).
- Guest editor of special issues on gamification, quantified self, and lifelogging of the International Journal of Online Information Review, User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal (UMUAI), and International Journal of Human-Computer Studies (2018).
- Organiser of the living lab CLEF NewsREEL (News Recommendation Evaluation Lab) in which researchers can develop news recommendations and have them tested by millions of users in real-time (2014–17).
- Co-Organiser of the evaluation task NTCIR Lifelog, focusing on different methods of retrieval and access of lifelogging data (2015–19).
- 25+ invited talks, e.g., at National Archives of The Netherlands, Nankai University, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Film studios Babelsberg.
- Keynotes and invited talks at conferences and workshops, e.g., at FIRE’16 in Kolkata, India, CBRecSys@RecSys’15 in Vienna, Austria, Living Labs for IR Challenge Workshop 2014, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, MediaEval’13 in Barcelona, Spain.
- Co-organiser of 30+ workshops and tutorials at major conferences, e.g., on gamification (ACM SIGIR, ECIR, ACM CHI PLAY), quantified self (ACM UbiComp, ACM UMAP, ACM Hypertext, IEEE BIBM), lifelogging (ACM CHIIR, ACM Multimedia, IEEE ICME), news recommendation and retrieval (ACM RecSys, ECIR), real-time data processing and living lab evaluation (ACM RecSys, ECIR, IEEE ICME), and personalization and user modelling (ACM SIGIR, IIiX, UMAP).
- Involved in the organisation of various conferences, including iConference’18 (Poster Chair), MMM’17 (Demo Chair), HealthWear’16 (General Chair), MMM’14 (Special Session Chair), ICMR’14 (Proceedings Chair), MMM’12 (Demo Chair).
- Member of the technical programme committees of all major conferences in the fields of information access (e.g., SIGIR, WWW, CIKM, ECIR, RecSys, IUI, CLEF, TPDL, ESWC) and multimedia (e.g., ACM MM, ICME, ICMR, MMM, MMSys). Moreover, frequent reviewer for various leading journals in the fields.
- Expert reviewer for various research funding bodies including COST Action, EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council), DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), NSERC (Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada), FWF (Austrian Science Fund).
- Examiner of PhD dissertations submitted to TU Berlin, University of Glasgow, Queen’s University, Glasgow Caledonian University, and other universities
- Steering committee member of the CLEF 2015 and 2016 Living Labs for Information Retrieval evaluation campaign.
- Member of the advisory board of the FP7 CrowdRec project (2015, 2016).
- Fellow of the Zukunftsbrücke programme of Mercator Stiftung, BMW Foundation and The All-China Youth Federation (since 2017).
- Alumni of the Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst.