cPanel service users

The following groups can use the cPanel service:

  • Departments
  • Research Groups
  • Staff - for personal webpages
  • Postgraduate Students - for work/academic purposes
  • Student Clubs and Societies


The Content Management System (CMS) should be used for a Department's main, public-facing web pages. cPanel may be appropriate for specific cases where the CMS cannot be used.

Research groups

The account is for University purposes. A member of staff must approve and be responsible for the account.

These accounts cover:

  • Research Groups
  • activities that do not fit the other categories
  • specially-approved external bodies


Registration is freely available for individual staff members to use cPanel for work or personal use.

Postgraduate research students

Postgraduate research students may use the service for work purposes. Registration is freely available and needs the signature of your supervisor, or another staff member.

Student clubs and societies

Student Union clubs and societies may use the cPanel service with approval from the head of Student Union IT Services or a senior member of Union staff.

Informal student groups can't use the service.

A student group that is not a Union club or society, but does have a recognised function in the University (eg within a department), can register as a group - a staff member needs to approve the application and take responsibility for the activities of the group.