Social Media Security
Departmental Social Media
Many departments now choose to represent themselves on various social media platforms. This is an excellent way to promote the University however we need to ensure that these accounts are safe and secure at all times.
Accounts should be set up using a generic account and managed by a designated team within the department. Access to the accounts and any passwords should not be shared outside of this team. Use a different password per account and make sure that they are strong (visit here to see what makes a strong password) Passwords should also be changed regularly.
Also remember to:
- Ensure that the security settings have been set up correctly
- Don’t link personal and business accounts
- Be mindful of what you share
- Get rid of any accounts that are no longer in use
Personal Social Media
Social media is often the first thing a cyber criminal will use to try and get access to your personal information. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe
- Check the privacy settings of your social media accounts, don't assume the default settings are good enough
- Don't accept friend requests from people you don't know
- Be careful what personal data you share especially data such as your date of birth, home address, financial information or names of close relatives.
- Make sure you have a different password per account and make them strong