Scanning on a print/copy/scan device
You can use the MFD to scan your original and then send you the electronic version, typically a PDF by email. The maximum file size you can send is 25Mb. There is no charge for scanning. You can also send your file to a usb stick.
The fast and easy way to scan to email
- Place your document either facedown on the glass place, or in the top feeder
- Choose 'scan to email' from the home screen
- To scan your document as a pdf - searchable (which will allow you to copy/paste text) to your University email account, choose 'standard scanning'. Then just press the scan button.
- If you wish to scan as an image (jpg etc.), or send to a different email address, then choose 'Advanced Scanning' or 'External-Non UoS Account'
It is also possible to scan and create OCR Office documents (.docx etc). This is done using a different menu.
- Place your paper document face down on the glass plate
- From the Home Menu screen, press the 'sharp 0SA' button twice
- Choose 'email'
- Your scan will be sent as a PDF by default, but if you wish to you can change it to .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, .RTF, JPEG or TIFF via the File Format menu.
- If you need to, change the Resolution and Colour Mode. Files that are of a higher resolution and colour will be larger in size. The maximum size for e-mail attachments is 25Mb.
- To enter a subject, tap Subject, then tap Direct Entry and type your chosen subject. Tap OK to confirm.
- To enter a file name, tap File Name, then tap Direct Entry and type your chosen subject. Tap OK to confirm.
- Next you need to enter your email address: tap Global Address Search, then tap in the search window
- Enter your username and tap the Search button
- Your email address will be displayed.
- Check that it is correct, select it, then tap OK.
- Press the START/COPY button to start your scan
- To scan a second sheet, place it on the glass plate and press the Start button again. Each sheet will be scanned and added to the same file.
- When you have scanned all your sheets tap the Read End button. Your scan will then be sent to your email address.
- Remember to Logout when you’ve finished.