Terminal Access and File Transfer Methods
- Access via a web browser ( all platforms )
- Access from any Windows PC
- Access from Linux/Unix workstations
- Access from Apple/MAC workstations
- Access from any Managed Windows workstation on campus
- HPC pages on Connecting to a cluster using SSH
- Remote Access
NOTE: Terminal access by using a web browser should work on all platforms but it can sometimes be problematic due to JAVA related issues. In case the web browser method fails to operate, there are a choice of alternatives via the links above.
Transferring files to/from Bessemer & ShARC
- File transfers from any Windows PC
- File transfers from Unix/Linux platforms
- File transfers from Apple/MAC platforms
- File transfers from Managed Windows workstations in the university
NOTE: non-secure file transfer methods such as ftp from Linux and FTPexplorer from Windows will not work due to security restrictions imposed on iceberg and ShARC.
All these terminal access and file transfer methods will also work when working away from the campus. I.e. you do not normally need a vpn connection to access iceberg. However, telnet and other similar non-secure methods of access will not work. Note that a VPN connection is required to access ShARC.
Specialist High Speed Visualization Access to ShARC
As our network access speeds may not be sufficient to handle some of the graphics intensive applications, we have set up a a few dedicated GPU-enhanced iceberg and ShARC nodes that can be used for faster remote visualizations.
As these resources are limited, usage is by special application only as described in the remote-visualization document.
NOTE: user access to the GPU visualisation nodes is no longer restricted.
Please refer to the HPC pages on Hardware accelerated graphics rendering for more information.