Room Bookings for Student Societies

Student Union societies and sports clubs may request to use teaching rooms or other University spaces on campus for their meetings and activities. Bookings should be made by one of the society committee members – the Activities Zone of the Students’ Union provides a list of committee members who are eligible to make room bookings.

You will not be able to make a booking if you have not been added to the list provided by Activities Zone.

[Updated 26th October, 12:00]

We do not accept any new booking requests for the moment. It's likely to be also the case in Semester 2.

Making a booking

Information Commons

Term time - During term time you should visit the Information Desk on the 1st floor of the IC, which will be open between 11:00-14:00, Monday - Thursday only.

Vacation - During vacation time you should visit the Room Bookings office which is  based in the IT Services building at 10-12 Brunswick St, between 11:00-13:00, Monday - Thursday only.

Advance bookings - For advance bookings for the 2020-21 academic year you can come to 10 - 12 Brunswick St on Friday 12th June. The office will be open from 8:30 on this day only. Advance bookings will be confirmed in August once the draft academic timetable has been completed.

You will be asked to complete a room booking request form when making your request.

You will need to have your UCard with you to book a room.

Using a room

  • The person making the booking must attend the event
  • Please familiarise yourself with fire exits and emergency evacuation routes
  • Please cancel rooms if they are no longer required
  • Use only the space that you have booked
  • Do not exceed the capacity of the room (please see the sign in the room)
  • If you move furniture please make sure the room is returned to its default layout (see room sign)
  • Do not disturb other building users
  • Tidy up any rubbish afterwards
  • Food and drink are not permitted in University teaching spaces
  • Notify room bookings of any change to your booking

External visitors/speakers

If a speaker is not a current student or a member of staff at the University of Sheffield, we will ask for more information. We also manage events differently if your event is organised in conjunction with an organisation external to the University and/or is open to people beyond the University of Sheffield or its Students’ Union and/or is publicised externally.

If you organise an event to which members of the public are invited and/or are making a charge for attendance then there is likely to be a charge for the room.

If you have an external speaker (not a current student or member of staff – see below) then you must provide:

  • The name(s) of any speaker
  • The group/organisation that they represent
  • The title of their address to your group – the topic and an outline of its content
  • How the event will be advertised
  • Who the event will be open to – UoS students only, other students, members of the public

Information about external speakers must be provided at least 14 days in advance of your event, if we do not have 14 days’ notice then we will not accept your booking.

Current students

Please note that membership of the Students’ Union does not automatically mean that someone is a student of the University and they may therefore be regarded as an external speaker.