Connecting to VPN on Chromebook
Follow these instructions to connect to the new University VPN on a Chromebook.
- Visit the Google Play store.
- Search for FortiClient VPN and download/install the app.
- Open the FortiClient VPN app.
- Allow access for camera/microphone/media.
- Set VPN name: UoS-SSL-VPN.
- Set VPN type: SSL VPN.
- The next screen will show SSL VPN Settings.
- Select Server and enter remoteaccess.shef.ac.uk and click OK.
- Click UoS-SSL-VPN to exit the settings, then click Connect.
- Enter your university username - this is the same username you log into MUSE with.
- Enter your university password - this is the same password you log into MUSE with (if you're enrolled in MFA using a hardware token please enter your university password and the passcode generated by your token in the format of password,passcode - note the comma between password and passcode). A new passcode must be generated for each VPN connection attempt.
- On the Connection Request screen, click OK.
- If you're enrolled in MFA using your mobile device - approve the login request on your mobile device.
- You are now connected to the VPN.
Note - Once you have performed the initial configuration steps above. To continue connecting to the University VPN service, you need to open the FortiClient application using the Chomebook launcher menu.