Connect a Linux device to University of Sheffield VPN
Install vpnc either building from source or using a package manager (eg. apt-get)
Edit file /etc/vpnc.conf or /etc/vpnc/default.conf as follows:
- IPSec gateway vpn.shef.ac.uk
- IPSec ID unishef
- IPSec secret unishef
- Xauth username [university username]
- Xauth password [remote access password]
Use the commands vpnc & vpnc-disconnect to manage the connection.
If you are using a Debian based Linux OS such as Ubuntu, it is also possible to use the graphical user interface to manage your VPN connection. To do this, run the following command - apt-get install network-manager-vpnc-gnome and follow the installation steps. Once the package is installed, the following configurations steps are required:
- Using the graphical user interface, go to "Settings" then "Network"
- Under VPN, select the "+" icon
- Select "Cisco Compatible VPN (vpnc)" from the Add VPN menu
- Enter the following configuration
- Name - UoS
- Gateway - vpn.shef.ac.uk
- User name - Enter your University of Sheffield username
- Group name - unishef
- Press the "Add" button
- Now test the connection by moving the slider from OFF to ON under UoS
- Enter your University of Shaffield Remote Access (RATS) Password
- Enter a group password of "unishef"
- Press connect
To connect to VPN you will need a remote access password. Click on the link below if you need to request one.