Connecting to the University VPN with macOS
Follow these instructions to connect your Mac to the new University VPN.
These instructions apply to macOS 10.12 Sierra or higher (includes macOS 10.13 High Sierra, 10.14 Mojave, 10.15 Catalina and 11.x Big Sur)
NOTE: FortiClient VPN 6.2.6 should be installed on Mac systems running macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and 10.13 (High Sierra). FortiClient VPN 6.4.2 should be installed on Mac systems running 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina) and 11.x (Big Sur)
- Determine the version of macOS you are running. Select the Apple icon in the top left corner and select About This Mac
- For macOS versions 10.12 (Sierra) and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) - Download the FortiClient VPN 6.2.6 installer
- For macOS versions 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina), 11.x (Big Sur) - Download the FortiClient VPN 6.4.2 installer
- Open the downloaded file and double click Install.
- Follow the installation instructions on screen and when prompted:
Click Agree to accept the terms of the software licence agreement.
Click Move to Bin to remove the FortiClient installer, you do not need to keep it beyond this point.
- After the application is installed restart your device.
- From the Applications menu, double click on the FortiClient VPN app to open it.
- Acknowledge and accept the disclaimer.
- Select Configure VPN.
- Set VPN Type: SSL VPN.
- Set Connection Name: UoS-SSL-VPN
- Set Remote Gateway: remoteaccess.shef.ac.uk
- Ensure 'Customize port' is ticked and that the port value is set to 443.
- Click Save.
- Select UoS-SSL-VPN as VPN name.
- Enter your university username - this is the same username you log into MUSE with.
- Enter your university password - this is the same password you log into MUSE with (if you're enrolled in MFA using a hardware token please enter your university password and the passcode generated by your token in the format of password,passcode - note the comma between password and passcode). A new passcode must be generated for each VPN connection attempt.
- Press Connect.
- If you're enrolled in MFA using your mobile device - approve the login request on your mobile device.
- If you are connecting using a device running macOS Catalina 10.15 - at this point you may be presented with a message advising that an extension has been blocked. Click the message to take you to system preferences and select Allow next the message about the FortiClient application being blocked from loading. You may need to repeat steps 12 to 15 again to connect to the VPN service.
- You're now connected to the VPN.