Connecting to VPN on Windows
Follow these instructions to connect to the new University VPN on Microsoft Windows.
You will need to connect to the VPN every time you want to use a service that requires it. When you are not using services that require University VPN, we recommend that you disconnect from VPN.
- Download the Windows 64-bit FortiClient VPN Installer or Download the Windows 32-bit FortiClient VPN installer
How can I tell if my device is running 32-bit or a 64-bit version of Windows?
- Open the downloaded file and install FortiClient VPN.
- Launch FortiClient VPN.
- Acknowledge and accept the disclaimer.
- Select Configure VPN.
- Set VPN Type: SSL VPN.
- Set Connection Name: UoS-SSL-VPN
- Set Remote Gateway: remoteaccess.shef.ac.uk
- Set Client Certificate: None.
- Press Save.
- Select UoS-SSL-VPN as VPN name
- Enter your university username, without including @shef.ac.uk
- Enter your university password - this is the same password you use to log into eduroam and MUSE (if you're enrolled in MFA using a hardware token please enter your university password and the passcode generated by your token in the format of password,passcode - note the comma between password and passcode). A new passcode must be generated for each VPN connection attempt.
- Press Connect.
- If you're enrolled in MFA using your mobile device - approve the login request on your mobile device.
- You're now connected to the VPN.