Set up VPN on Windows
Choose your operating system below and follow the instructions to set up University VPN.
You will need to connect to the VPN every time you want to use a service that requires it. When you are not using services that require University VPN, we recommend that you disconnect from VPN.
To view the video in full screen, click the double arrow icon to the bottom right of the video screen (second from the right).
- Click on the Start menu
- Go to Settings followed by Network & Internet
- Click on VPN followed by Add a VPN connection
- Enter the following;
- VPN provider: Windows (built-in)
- Connection name: UoS
- Server name or address: vpn.shef.ac.uk
- VPN type: IKEv2
- Type of sign-in info: User name and password
- Only enter your Username and Remote Access Password if you are confident that your computer is secure and will not be shared with other people. Otherwise leave these fields blank.
- Only check the Remember my sign-in info option if you are confident that your computer is secure and will not be shared with other people. Otherwise leave this option blank.
- Press Save
- Click on Change adapter options
- Right Click UoS and select Properties
- Go to the Security tab
- Under Data Encryption, ensure Require encryption (disconnect if server declines) is selected
- Under Authentication, ensure Microsoft: Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2) (encryption enabled) is selected
- Go to the Networking tab
- Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then select Properties
- Select Advanced
- Ensure Use default gateway on remote network and Automatic metric are checked
- Go to the DNS tab
- In the DNS suffix for this connection section, enter shef.ac.uk
- Click OK to save new settings
- Click on UoS and select Connect
- When prompted enter your username and Remote Access Password.
- You are now connected to VPN.
- From the Start screen press the Windows key + W
- select Everywhere from the drop down list
- Search for, and then select, Control Panel
- From the View by drop down list (top right) select small icons
- Select Network and Sharing Center
- Select Set up a new connection or network
- Select Connect to a workplace
- Click Next
- Select "No, create a new connection"
- Click Next
- Select Use my Internet connection (VPN)
- In the Internet address box enter vpn.shef.ac.uk
- In the Destination name box enter UoS VPN
- Click Next
- To connect to the VPN press the Windows key + W and search for Network
- Select Connect to a network
- On the Networks bar select UoS VPN then the Connect button
||Microsoft ended support for the Windows 7 operating system on January 14th 2020. As of this date Windows 7 is now an unsupported platform to connect to the University of Sheffield VPN service. Please consider upgrading your device to Windows 10
To connect to VPN you will need a remote access password. Click on the link below if you need to request one.
Computer account management