Connecting Windows 8 to eduroam Wireless Network
To connect your Windows 8 computer to eduroam:
- Connect to the wired network and download the Sheffield installer from
Connect to eduroam from Windows 8 at Sheffield
- Run the installer
- When prompted, provide your username followed by @sheffield.ac.uk and your password
- Click wireless icon in the taskbar and select eduroam
- Click Connect
You will connect to eduroam and can browse the web.
To connect Windows 8 to eduroam use the instructions below.
- From the new Metro Start screen press Desktop.
- Right-click on the wireless icon in the bottom right of the desktop and select "Open Network and Sharing Centre".
- Select "Setup a new connection or network".
- Select "Manually connect to a wireless network" and click 'Next'.
- Enter the following details:
Network name: eduroam
Security type: WPA2-Enterprise
Encryption type: AES
- Click 'Next'.
- Click 'Change connection settings'.
- Select the 'Security tab'.
- Click 'Settings'.
- Tick the box labelled 'Connect to these servers' and type 'eduroam.shef.ac.uk' in the box below.
- In the 'Trusted Root Certification Authorities:' window tick the box labelled "AddTrust External CA Root".
- Click 'OK'.
- Click 'Advanced Settings'.
- Tick the box labelled 'Specify authentication mode' and select 'User authentication' from the dop down menu.
- Click 'OK', 'OK' again and 'Close'
You are now ready to connect.
- Click on the wireless signal icon in the bottom right of the desktop.
- Select 'eduroam' and press 'Connect'.
- When asked enter your University username with "@sheffield.ac.uk" appended and your University password.
- Click 'OK'.
You should now be connected to the eduroam wireless network.