Dr Navajyoti Samanta
School of Law
Lecturer in Commercial Law
+44 114 222 6838
Full contact details
School of Law
I joined Sheffield as lecturer in commercial law in September 2015. Much of my teaching and research is focused on empirical company law and corporate governance.
My doctoral research quantitatively investigated the long term impact of adopting shareholder primacy corporate governance on growth of financial markets in a multi-country framework. Prior to commencing my doctoral studies, I worked as an Assistant Professor at National Law University, Orissa.
- PhD, University of Sheffield
- LLM, University of Kent, Canterbury
- BA LLB (Hons.), National University of Juridical Sciences
- Research interests
- Company law and corporate governance
- Quantitative legal research
- Law and Economics
- View this article in WRRO Corporate Governance for Sustainability.
- Evolution of German corporate governance (1995-2014) : an empirical analysis. Corporate Governance. View this article in WRRO
- Evolution of corporate governance in India and its impact on the growth of the financial market: An empirical analysis (1995-2014). Corporate Governance. View this article in WRRO
- Gender, Intersectionality and Religious Manifestation Before the European Court of Human Rights. Journal of Human Rights, 18(1), 76-91. View this article in WRRO
- Corporate governance, research and development volatility and firm performance - Evidence from Spain and Ireland. Cogent Economics and Finance, 5. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO An overview of corporate governance practices in Iran : a quantitative survey of listed companies in Tehran Stock Exchange. International Company and Commercial Law Review, 28(2), 33-48.
- View this article in WRRO Utilising item response theory in computing corporate governance indices. Edinburgh Student Law Review, 2(4), 103-116.
- Copyright exhaustion in India and the USA: a comparative critique. Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice, 4(11), 827-832.
- Role of Auditors in Corporate Governance.
- Legal Safeguards of ‘Government Contracts’ In India: A Critique.
- Trial by Media - Jessica Lal Case.
- Test of Basic Structure: An Analysis.
- Agency of Necessity.
- Administrative Procedure followed in Income Tax Appellate Tribunal.
- Fiduciary Obligation in Principal Agent Relationship.
- Transplantation of Anglo-American corporate governance and its impact on financial market growth : a comparative analysis of nineteen developing countries 1995-2014. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society. View this article in WRRO
- Does regulation matter? Changes in corporate governance in China and its impact on financial market growth : an empirical analysis (1995-2014). Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society. View this article in WRRO
- Convergence to shareholder primacy corporate-governance : evidence from a leximetric analysis of the evolution of corporate-governance regulations in 21 countries, 1995-2014. Corporate Governance: The International Journal of Business in Society. View this article in WRRO
- Teaching interests
The modules I teach are:
Law of Obligations (Contract, Torts and Restitution)
The Law Relating to Private Companies
The Law Relating to Public Companies
Legal Research and Writing Skills