Professor Tamara Hervey
School of Law
Jean Monnet Professor of European Union Law
+44 114 222 6723
Full contact details
School of Law
I studied at Glasgow and Sheffield, and held academic posts at Durham, Manchester and Nottingham Law Schools, before joining Sheffield in 2007. I enjoy integrating research with teaching and learning, and one of the things I particularly like about being a Professor is working with students on research projects (both mine and theirs).
- PhD, University of Sheffield
- LLB (Hons), University of Glasgow
- Research interests
I am currently working in three broad areas:
- Transnational, global and comparative health law;
- Equality and Diversity; and
- Legal Education
I am Principal Investigator of Health Governance after Brexit, an ERSC-funded project that investigates the effects of Brexit on health and the NHS and compares the views of legal and policy experts with those of 'ordinary people' in towns in Northern Ireland and the north of England. We want to know what post-Brexit NHS people will regard as legitimate, and who should be held accountable for delivering that.
I am collaborating with UK, EU and North American - based scholars, policy-makers, practitioners, across disciplines. I am one of the Co-investigators on the Jean Monnet network on EU health law and policy in comparative contexts, with Katherine Fierlbeck (Dalhousie). I am working on patient and professional autonomy, human rights, and trans-national law on cross-border trade, with Laura Robinson (student intern), Anniek de Ruijter (Amsterdam), Mary Ziegler (Florida State) and Rebecca Gomperts (‘Women on Web’). David Orentlicher (Las Vegas) and I are working on a major project on comparative health law, to be published by OUP.
Following the 23 June 2016 referendum, I am contributing to understanding the UK’s future legal relationships with the EU, in particular its implications for health law and policy, both within the UK and within the remainder of the EU. I served as Specialist Advisor to the House of Lords Inquiry on Crossborder Care after Brexit, and I am retained as a Specialis Adviser to the House of Commons Health and Social Care Committee. My take on EU health law’s history and legacy appears in Stanton, et al, eds, Pioneering Healthcare Law: Essays in Honour of Margaret Brazier (Routledge, 2016).
I’m interested in several dimensions of equality and diversity. I worked with Bryan Coleman (Director Sheffield Disability Support), Harriet Cameron, (specialist in specific learning difficulties), Sabrina Rahman (student intern) on the Equality Act’s ‘reasonable adjustments’ duties of HE institutions. I ran a multi-faceted project on Equality and Diversity in Legal Education, including collaboration with the Legal Education Research Network (LERN). This project involved co-producing both learning & teaching materials and research with several postgraduate and undergraduate students,.
I have published on internationalisation and legal education; and on clinical legal education. I ran a project on the effects of Brexit on legal education, including two workshops, and a special issue of the Journal The Law Teacher.
- European Union Health Law: Themes and Implications. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Research Methodologies in EU and International Law. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Health Systems Governance in Europe. Cambridge University Press.
- Health law and the European Union. Cambridge Univ Pr.
- European Social Law and Policy. Longman.
- Justifications for Sex Discrimination in Employment. MICHIE.
- View this article in WRRO Research Handbook on EU Health Law and Policy. Edward Elgar.
- The EU Charter of Fundamental Rights: A Commentary. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- The EU Charter of Fundamental Rights: A Commentary. Oxford: Hart Pub Limited.
- The EU Charter of Fundamental Rights: A Commentary. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- European Law and New Health Technologies. OUP Oxford.
- European Law and New Health Technologies. Oxford: OUP.
- European Law and New Health Technologies. Oxford: OUP.
- European Union Health Legislation. Maklu.
- Health Systems Governance in Europe. Cambridge Univ Pr.
- Economic and Social Rights Under the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. Hart Publishing.
- Sex Equality Law in the European Union. John Wiley & Son Ltd.
- Oxford Handbook of Comparative Health Law. Oxford University Press.
- Risks to health and the NHS in the post-Brexit era. BMJ, 369.
- More competences than you knew? The web of health competences for Union action in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. European Journal of Risk Regulation. View this article in WRRO
- Health law and policy, devolution and Brexit. Regional Studies. View this article in WRRO
- ADEA‐ADEE Shaping the Future of Dental Education III: From interprofessional education to transprofessional learning: Reflections from dentistry, applied linguistics, and law. Journal of Dental Education, 84(1), 105-110. View this article in WRRO
- Mary Guy, competition policy in healthcare: Frontiers in insurance-based and taxation-funded systems. Edinburgh Law Review, 24(1), 154-156. View this article in WRRO
- Assessing the health effects of a “no deal” Brexit. British Medical Journal (BMJ), 2019(366). View this article in WRRO
- Brexit and the law school : from vacillating between despair and hope to building responsibility and community. The Law Teacher, 53(2), 221-229. View this article in WRRO
- Equality law obligations in higher education: reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act 2010 in assessment of students with unseen disabilities. Legal Studies. View this article in WRRO
- Equality Law Obligations in Higher Education: reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act 2010 in assessment of students with unseen disabilities. Legal Studies. View this article in WRRO
- How will Brexit affect health services in the UK? An updated evaluation. The Lancet, 393(10174), 949-958. View this article in WRRO
- Abortion by telemedicine in the European Union.. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. View this article in WRRO
- Reciprocal healthcare arrangements after Brexit. BMJ, 363(8176). View this article in WRRO
- The immediate futures of health law after Brexit: Law, ‘a-legality’ and uncertainty. Medical law international, 18(2-3), 65-109. View this article in WRRO
- Health, transatlantic trade, and President Trump's populism : what American Patients First has to do with Brexit and the NHS. The Lancet, 392(10145), 447-450. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO New labour laws in old member states: Trade union responses to European enlargement. European Law Review, 43(3), 464-466.
- View this article in WRRO The Fairness Project: Doing what we can, where we are. Journal of International and Comparative Law, 5(1), 181-216.
- Threats to internationalised legal education in the twenty-first century UK. The Law Teacher. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Neither ‘bolt-on’ nor ‘built-in’ : benefits and challenges of developing an integrated skills curriculum through a partnership model. Journal of Learning Development in Higher Education, 13.
- Amending the EU Withdrawal Bill: a safeguard for health. The Lancet, 391(10121), 638-639. View this article in WRRO
- How will Brexit affect health and health services in the UK? Evaluating three possible scenarios. The Lancet, 390(10107), 2110-2118. View this article in WRRO
- A place in the sun? Healthcare rights of retired UK citizens in Spain post-Brexit. Health Economics, Policy and Law, 12(3), 297-307. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Abortion by telemedicine in Northern Ireland: patient and professional rights across borders. Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly, 68(1), 1-33.
- Telling stories about European Union Health Law: The emergence of a new field of law. Comparative European Politics, 15(3), 352-369. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Now I understand what you were trying to do, I see that this was the best module I had at University”: Student Learning Expectations Reviewed Eight Years Later. European Journal of Current Legal Issues, 22(3).
- Brexit and health services. Clinical medicine, 16(2), 101-102. View this article in WRRO
- ‘All About That Bass’? Is non-ideal-weight discrimination unlawful in the UK?. Modern Law Review, 79(2), 248-282. View this article in WRRO
- Reflecting on ‘Supporting health systems in Europe: added value of EU actions?’. Health Economics Policy and Law, 485-489. View this article in WRRO
- Law and the Regulation of Medicines. Medical Law Review, 22(1), 151-153.
- Regulatory 'desirables' for new health technologies. Medical Law Review, 21(1), 1-38.
- Health law and policy in the European Union. The Lancet, 381(9872), 1135-1144.
- Regulatory 'Desirables' for New Health Technologies.
- Coming into line: The EU's Court softens on cross-border health care. Health Economics, Policy and Law, 8(1), 1-5.
- The role of the European court of justice in the Europeanization of communicable disease control: driver or irrelevance?. J Health Polit Policy Law, 37(6), 977-1000.
- Mapping the role of official bioethics advice in the governance of biotechnologies in the EU: The European Group on Ethics' Opinion on commercial cord blood banking. SCIENCE AND PUBLIC POLICY, 39(1), 105-117.
- Healthcare and the Lisbon Strategy.
- Contextualising the Regulation of Health Technologies. Law, Innovation and Technology, 4(2).
- Editorial: Contextualising the Regulation of Health Technologies. Law Innovation and Technology, 4(2), 113-121.
- Long-term care for older people and EU Law: The position in England and Scotland. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 34(1), 105-124.
- COMPETITION-BASED REFORM OF THE NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE IN ENGLAND: A ONE-WAY STREET?. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HEALTH SERVICES, 42(2), 213-217.
- Incentivising innovation or supporting other interests? European regulation of orphan medicinal products.. Med Law Rev, 19(1), 123-131.
- The impacts of European Union law on the health care sector: institutional overview. Eurohealth, 16(4), 5-7.
- View this article in WRRO The European Union, Its Court of Justice, and “Super-Stewardship” in Public Health. Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly, 62(5), 633-658.
- Book Review: Integrating Welfare Functions into EU Law – From Rome to Lisbon. European Journal of Social Security, 12(2), 167-168.
- Book Review: Neergaard, Nielsen, Roseberry (eds) Integrating Welfare Functions into EU Law – from Rome to Lisbon. European Journal of Social Security.
- “Adjudicating in the Shadow of the Informal Settlement”?: The Court of Justice of the European Union, “New Governance” and Social Welfare. Current Legal Problems, 63, 92-152.
- Reducing harm from alcohol. BRIT MED J, 338.
- Calling time: the United Kingdom must tackle the problem of cheap alcohol. British Medical Journal, 338.
- Case C-303/06 coleman v. attridge law and steve law judgment of the ECJ 17 july 2008; judgment of the employment tribunal, London, 30 september 2008. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 31(3), 309-319.
- The Advocate General and EC Law. MOD LAW REV, 71(5), 844-850.
- The European Union's governance of health care and the welfare modernization agenda. REGUL GOV, 2(1), 103-120.
- Legal Research Methods in EU and International Law: Research Notes Part 2. Journal of Contemporary European Research, 4(1), 48-51.
- Legal Research Methods in EU and International Law: Research Notes Part 3. Journal of Contemporary European Research, 4(3), 240-243.
- Ethical EU Law: The influence of the European Group on Ethics in Science and New Technologies. European Law Review, 33(6), 803-842.
- The Construction of a Healthier Europe: Lessons from the Fight Against Cancer. Wisconsin International Law Journal, 26, 804-843.
- Freedom to provide health care services within the EU: An opportunity for Hybrid Governance. Columbia Journal of European Law, 13(3), 623-649.
- Freedom to Provide Health Care Services within the EU: An Opportunity for a Transformative Directive. Columbia Journal of European Law.
- Legal Research Methods in EU and International Law: Research Notes Part 1. Journal of Contemporary European Research, 3(2), 161-165.
- The Current Legal Framework on the Right To Seek Health Care Abroad in the European Union. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies, 9, 261-286.
- New Governance Responses to Health Care Migration in the EU: The EU Guidelines on Block Purchasing. Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law, 14(3), 303-333.
- EU law and national health policies: Problem or opportunity?. Health Economics, Policy and Law, 2(1), 1-6.
- EU Law and National Health Policies: Problem or Opportunity. Health, Economics, Policy and Law, 1(4), 1-6.
- The European Union and the Governance of Stem Cell Research. Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law, 12(1), 11-48.
- Law, health and the European Union. Legal Studies, 25(2), 228-259.
- Law, Health and the European Union. Legal Studies, 25, 200-231.
- The European Union and the governance of stem cell research. Maastricht Journal, 12, 3-40.
- Thirty Years of EU Sex Equality Law: Looking backwards, looking forwards. Maastricht Journal, 12, 307-327.
- The European Union and Cultural Diversity: A Missed Opportunity?. European Yearbook of Minority Issues, 2, 43-62.
- EC law on Justification for Sex Discrimination in Working Life. Bulletin of Comparative Labour Relations, 48, 103-152.
- Mapping the Contours of European Union Health Law and Policy. European Public Law, 69-105.
- Community and national competence in health after - Tobacco advertising. COMMON MKT LAW REV, 38(6), 1421-1446.
- Up in Smoke: Community (anti) tobacco law and policy. European Law Review, 26, 101-125.
- Regulation of genetically modified products in a multi-level system of governance: Science or citizens?. Review of European Community and International Environmental Law, 10(3), 321-333.
- Survey on Employment and Social Law 1999-2000. Yearbook of European Law, 20, 297-330.
- Annotation of Case C-106/96 United Kingdom v Commission (Poverty IV). Common Market Law Review(36), 1079-1090.
- Yves Jorens and Bernt Schulte, eds., European Social Security Law and Third Country Nationals. European Journal of Migration and Law, 1(1), 163-165.
- Sex Equality as Substantive Justice’; review of Fredman, Women and the Law and McColgan, Just Wages for Women. Modern Law Review, 62, 614-622.
- Annotation of Case C-409/95 Hellmut Marschall. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law(20), 333-352.
- Limiting Part-Timers' Rights:Biggs v Somerset County Council  IRLR 203Limiting Part-Timers' Rights: Biggs v Somerset County Council  IRLR 203. International Journal of Discrimination and the Law, 3(1), 68-77.
- Women, work and care: Women's dual role and double burden in EC sex equality law. J EUR SOC POLICY, 8(1), 43-63.
- Sex Equality in Social Protection: New Institutionalist Perspectives on Allocation of Competence. European Law Journal, 4(2), 196-219.
- Softening the approach to quotas: Positive action after Marschall. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 20(3), 333-352.
- Annotation of Case C-178/94 Hellmut Marschall. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 20, 333-352.
- Survey on Employment and Social Law 1998. Yearbook of European Law, 18, 613-657.
- Sex Equality in Social Protection: New Institutionalist Perspectives on Allocation of Competence. European Law Journal, 4, 169-219.
- Buy baby: the European Union and regulation of human reproduction.. Oxf J Leg Stud, 18(2), 207-233.
- Annotation of Case C-178/94 Dillenkofer. Industrial Law Journal(25).
- Francovich Liability Simplified. Industrial Law Journal, 26(1), 74-79.
- Survey on Employment and Social Law 1996-1997. Yearbook of European Law, 17, 435-490.
- The rise and rise of conservatism in equal pay: annotation of Case C-400/93 Royal Copenhagen. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law(18), 107-118.
- European section. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 18(1), 107-118.
- After Francovich: State Liability and British Employment Law. Industrial Law Journal, 25, 259-285.
- Sex Equality in the Single Market: New Directions for the European Court of Justice. Common Market Law Review, 32, 443-470.
- Door opened for more effective enforcement: annotation of Case C-271/91, Marshall v Southampton and South West Hampshire Area Health Authority (No 2). Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law(16), 254-261.
- Small business exclusion in German dismissal law; annotation of Case C-189/91 Kirshammer-Hack v Sidal. Industrial Law Journal, 23(3), 267-272.
- Annotation of Case C-152/91 Neath v Hugh Steeper Ltd. Common Market Law Review(31), 1387-1397.
- Structural Discrimination Unrecognised: Jones V University of Manchester. The Modern Law Review, 57(2), 307-314.
- European section. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law, 16(2), 254-261.
- Annotation of Case C-9/91, R v Secretary of State for Social Security, ex parte EOC. Common Market Law Review(30), 653-665.
- Annotation of Case C-243/90, R v Secretary of State for Social Services, ex parte Smithson. Journal of Social Welfare and Family Law(14), 461-465.
- Justification for Indirect Sex Discrimination in Employment: European Community law and United Kingdom law Compared. International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 40, 807-826.
- Pro bono develops Pericles and plumbers: the roles of clinical legal education in contemporary European law schools. European Legal Education Journal, 1(1).
- Promoting Law Student and Lawyer Well-Being in Australia and Beyond, edited by Rachael Field, James Duffy and Colin James. Law Teacher. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Europeanising health post-crisis: Reflective commentary on Clemens et al, ‘Supporting health systems in Europe: added value of EU actions'. Health Economics, Policy and Law(49).
- Assessing the potential impact on health of the UK's future relationship agreement with the EU : analysis of the negotiating positions.. Health Economics, Policy and Law. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Brexit and biobanking: GDPR perspectives In Slokenberga S, Tzortzatou O & Reichel J (Ed.), Individual Rights, Public Interest and Biobank Research - Article 89 GDPR and European Legal Responses Springer
- The past, present and future of EU Health Law In Stanton C, Devaney S & Farrell AM (Ed.), Pioneering Healthcare Law. Essays in honour of Margaret Brazier. (pp. 67-77). Abingdon: Routledge.
- Bringing the Technical into the Socio-legal: The Metaphors of Law and Legal Scholarship of a 21st Century European Union In Cowan D & Wincott D (Ed.), Exploring the 'Legal' in Socio-Legal Studies London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- The Roles of Law in a New Intergovernmentalist EU In Puetter U, Hodson D & Bickerton C (Ed.), The New Intergovernmentalism: States and Supranational Actors in the Post-Maastricht Era Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Article 35 - The Right to Health Care In Peers S, Hervey T, Kenner J & Ward A (Ed.), The EU Charter of Fundamental Rights: A Commentary (pp. 951-968). Hart Pub Limited
- EU Health Law In Barnard C & Peers S (Ed.), EU Law Oxford University Press
- Health Equality, Solidarity and Human Rights in European Union Law In Silveira A, Canotilho M & Froufe PM (Ed.), Citizenship and Solidarity in the European Union (pp. 341-366). Peter Lang
- Realism, Empiricism and Doctrine in EU legal studies: views from a common law perspective In Nielsen R & Neergaard U (Ed.), European Legal Method: Towards a new European Legal Realism (pp. 125-160). Copenhagen: DJOFPublishing.
- Re-judging Social Rights in the European Union In De Burca G, Kilpatrick C & Scott J (Ed.), Critical Legal Perspectives on Global Governance: Liber Amicroum David M Trubek (pp. 345-368). Oxford: Hart.
- A European Law of New Health Technologies? In Flear M & Farrell AM (Ed.), European Law and New Health Technologies Oxford University press
- European Law and New Health Technologies: The Research Agenda In Flear M, Farrell AM, Hervey TK & Murphy T (Ed.), European Law and New Health Technologies (pp. 1-6). Oxford University Press
- View this article in WRRO Conclusion: A European Law of New Health Technologies? In Flear M, Farrell A-M, Hervey T & Murphy T (Ed.), European Law and New Health Technologies (pp. 389-414). Oxford: OUP.
- The Defining Features of the European Union's Approach to Regulating New Health Technologies In Flear M, Hervey T, Farrell AM & Murphy T (Ed.), European Law and New Health Technologies OUP
- Enforcing community law in the member states, The European Union Handbook, Second Edition (pp. 224-233).
- Healthcare and the Lisbon Agenda In Copeland P & Papadimitriou D (Ed.), The EU's Lisbon Strategy (pp. 130-148). Palgrave Macmillan
- If only it were so simple: Public Health Services and EU Law In Cremona M (Ed.), Market Integration and Public Services in the European Union (pp. 179-250). Oxford Univ Pr
- Judicial Method of English Courts And Tribunals in EU Law Cases: A Case Study in Employment Law In Neergard U, Nielsen R & Roseberry L (Ed.), European Legal Method: Paradoxes and Revitalisation (pp. 327-375). DJØF Publishing
- Cooperation Between Health Care Authorities in the Proposed Directive on Patients' Rights in Cross-Border Healthcare In VanDeGronden JW, Szyszczak E, Neergaard U & Krajewski M (Ed.) (pp. 161-189).
- Health care and the EU: The law and policy patchwork In Mossialos E, Permanand G, Baeten R & Hervey T (Ed.), Health Systems Governance in Europe (pp. 84-133). Cambridge Univ Pr
- Public health policies In Mossialos E, Permanand G, Baeten R & Hervey T (Ed.), Health Systems Governance in Europe (pp. 231-281). Cambridge Univ Pr
- Health Systems Governance in Europe: the role of EU law and policy In Mossialos E, Permanand G, Baeten R & Hervey T (Ed.), Health Systems Governance in Europe (pp. 1-83). Cambridge Univ Pr
- The right to health in EU law In Fraser D & Almeida Rodrigues G (Ed.), Disrespect Today: Conflict Tomorrow (pp. 127-150). Nottingham: CCC Press.
- 'The Social Policy Protocol and Agreement' and 'Complaints to the Commission in Competition Law' In O'Keeffe D, Neuwahl N, Monar J & Robinson W (Ed.), Butterworths Expert Guide to the European Union Butterworths Law
- The European Union and the governance of health care In De Búrca G & Scott J (Ed.), New Governance and Constitutionalism in the EU and the US (pp. 179-210). Hart Publishing
- We don’t see a connection: the “right to health” in the EU Charter and European Social Charter In De Búrca G, De Witte B & Ogertschnig L (Ed.), Social rights in Europe (pp. 305-335). Oxford University Press, USA
- The right to health in EU law In Hervey TK & Kenner J (Ed.), Economic and Social Rights Under the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights (pp. 193-222). Hart Publishing
- The legal basis of European Community public health policy In Mossialos E, Baeten R & McKee M (Ed.), European integration and national health care policy: a challenge for social policy (pp. 23-56). PIE Peter Lang
- Enforcing European Community Law in the Member States In Gower J & Thomson I (Ed.), The European Union Handbook (pp. 224-233). Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn
- Social solidarity: a buttress against internal market law In Shaw J (Ed.), Social Law and Policy in an Evolving European Union (pp. 31-47). Hart Publishing
- Social Security: The European Union dimension In Harris NS (Ed.), Social Security Law in Context (pp. 231-256). Oxford University Press
- Putting Europe’s House in Order: racism, race discrimination and xenophobia after the Treaty of Amsterdam In O'Keeffe D & Twomey PM (Ed.), Legal Issues of the Amsterdam Treaty (pp. 329-350). Hart Publishing
- The Future of Sex Equality Law in the European Union In University College LCFTLOTEU & Trier ER (Ed.), Sex Equality Law in the European Union (pp. 399-413). Chancery
- Migrant workers and their families in the European Union: the pervasive market ideology of Community Law In Shaw J & More G (Ed.), New Legal Dynamics of European Union (pp. 91-110). Oxford University Press, USA
- A Gendered Perspective on the Right to Family Life in European Community Law In Neuwahl NA & Rosas A (Ed.), The European Union and Human Rights (pp. 221-234). Martinus Nijhoff Publishers
- Legal issues of the Barber Protocol In O'Keeffe D & Twomey P (Ed.), Legal issues of the Maastricht Treaty (pp. 329-337). London: Chancery Law Publishers.
- Which Rights, Whose Rights - The Identification and Protection of Minorities in British Law In Packer J & Myntti K (Ed.), The Protection of Ethnic and Linguistic minorities in Europe (pp. 123-144). Abo: Institute for Human Rights.
- Pioneering Healthcare Law Routledge
- Health systems governance in Europe: the role of European Union law and policy, Health Systems Governance in Europe (pp. 1-83). Cambridge University Press
- The Legal Academic’s Handbook, edited by Chris Ashford and Jessica Guth. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, xv + 236 + (glossary and index) 12pp (£32.99 paperback). ISBN: 9781137434289. Legal Studies, 37(2), 363-367.
- The Rule of Law in the Technological Age Challenges and Opportunities for the EU Collected Papers. Amsterdam Law School Research Paper.
- Book review: Alemanno and Gabbi, eds, Foundations of EU Food Law and Policy: Ten Years of the European Food Safety Authority. Common Market Law Review, 52(1), 302-303.
- Markets and vulnerable patients: health law after the 2012 act.. Med Law Rev, 22(2), 157-161. View this article in WRRO
- Special issue: Regulatory 'desirables' for Health Technologies. Medical Law Review, 21(1).
- Book Review: Hancher and Sauter, EU Competition and Internal Market Law in the Healthcare Sector. Common Market Law Review, 50, 1517-1518.
- Book Review: Jackson, Law and the Regulation of Medicines. Medical Law Review, 21, 151-153.
- Book Review: The End of Territoriality? The Impact of ECJ Rulings on British, German and French Social Policy. EUROPEAN LAW REVIEW, 36, 752-754.
- Book Review: Arnull, The European Union and its Court of Justice (Oxford: OUP, 2006). British Yearbook of International Law, 78, 511-514.
- Contributions to: The New Oxford Companion to Law.
- Book Review: Burrows and Greaves, The Advocate General and EC Law (Oxford: OUP, 2007). Modern Law Review, 71, 844-850.
- Book Review: De Schutter and Deakin, eds, Social Rights and Market Forces: Is the open coordination of employment and social policies the future of social Europe? (Brussels: Bruylant, 2005). Common Market Law Review, 43, 1198-1200.
- Special issue: Thirty years of EU sex equality law. Maastricht Journal of European and Comparative Law, 12(4).
- Book Review: Holland and Pope, EU Food Law and Policy (The Hague/London/New York: Kluwer Law International, 2004). European Law Review, 30, 760-761.
- Book Review: Witte, Vos, Hanf, eds, The Many Faces of Differentiation in EU Law (2001). Common Market Law Review, 40, 520-522.
- Book Review: Goldberg and Lonbay, eds, Pharmaceutical Medicine, Biotechnology and European Law (Cambridge: CUP, 2002). European Public Law, 9, 299-302.
- Book review: Lo Faro, Regulating Social Europe (Hart 2000). European Public Law.
- Book Review: Sheridan, EU Biotechnology Law and Practice: Regulating Genetically Modified and Novel Food Products. European Law Review, 27, 112-113.
- Book Review: Cumper and Wheatley eds Minority Rights in the ‘New Europe’ and Moon, ed Race Discrimination: Developing and Using a New Legal Framework 2001. Nottingham Human Rights Law Review, 172-180.
- Book review: Dashwood and Ward, The Cambridge yearbook of European legal studies. Journal of Common Market Studies, 38(3), 545-546.
- Book Review: Craig and de Búrca The Evolution of EU Law. European Public Law, 6, 461-466.
- Book Review: Maduro, We the Court. European Public Law, 6, 629-634.
- Book review: Ellis, EC Sex Equality Law. European Public Law(5), 149-151.
- Book Review: Jorens and Schulte eds, European Social Security Law and Third Country Nationals. European Journal of Migration and Law, 1, 163-165.
- Book Review: Burrows and Mair European Social Law. Common Market Law Review, 35, 269-290.
- Book Review: Nielsen and Szyszczak The Social Dimension of the European Union. European Law Review, 23, 103-104.
- Book Review: Sohrab, Sexing the Benefit. The Modern Law Review, 60, 453-457.
- Book Review: Kravaritou ed The Sex of Labour Law in Europe. Yearbook of European Law, 17, 703-706.
- Book Review: Vogel, Prevention at the Workplace. Journal of Common Market Studies, 309-310.
- Book Review: Houghton-James, Sexual Harassment. European Law Review, 21, 341-342.
- Book Review: Hoskyns, Integrating Gender. European Law Review, 21, 347-348.
- Book Review: Estievenart, ed Policies and Strategies to Combat Drugs in Europe. Common Market Law Review, 33, 1306-1309.
- Book review: Verwilghen M, Access to equality between men and women in the European Community. Common Market Law Review, 32(4), 1063-1065.
- Book Review: Hepple and Szyszczak, eds, Discrimination: The Limits of Law. Comparative Labor Law Journal, 16, 273-276.
- Book Review: Prechal, Directives in European Community Law. European Public Law, 1, 669-671.
- Research group
Areas of research supervision
- European Union Law
- Health Law and policy in trans-national contexts
- Discrimination Law and social rights
Title/Description Awarding Body People Involved Dates Amounts Health Law Outside the EU: Immediate, Intermediate and Long term Impacts ESRC Jean McHale (PI, Birmingham); Mark Flear (Co-I, QUB); Tamara Hervey (Co-I, Sheffield) 1 May 2017 - 1 November 2018 £209,989.25 Brexit and the (Northern) Law School Society of Legal Scholars Michael Dougan (York); Tamara Hervey (Sheffield); Charlotte O’Brien (York) June 2017 £750.00
- Teaching interests
I have taught in the areas in which I research for over 25 years. In modules and programmes that I have developed, students learn from the latest research, some of which is my own. For instance Advanced EU Law includes work I have published on the EU's future relationship with the UK.
An example of my teaching-led research came from supervising PhD and MA/LLM students. Noting that law students are often uncertain about the theory and methods that inform their research projects, I developed and delivered with colleagues a workshop for students to build their confidence in preparing their dissertations, and a module on Legal Research Methods for PhD students. From these, a successful AHRC application led to two regional workshops and a book Research Methodologies in EU and International Law (Hart, 2011).
I also integrate research with the undergraduate curriculum. I regularly work with one or more (paid) student interns on my research. Recent student work has supported charities such as Cancer Research UK, as well as creating a blog on comparative health law and database of health law researchers across two continents. Collaborative student work for Kidney Care UK was chosen to be showcased at the Houses of Parliament. Collaborative student work on clinical legal education was published in the inaugural issue of the European Journal of Legal Education. I have inspired student inquiry (leading to sole or co-authored publications) through successful applications for undergraduate summer internships since 2004, for example, Laura Robinson's prize-winning project on women’s rights.
- Teaching activities
I teach a range of modules reflecting my expertise in legal systems and method, European Union law, comparative law, and legal research methods.
- Professional activities
- Honorary Member of the Faculty of Public Health 2019-
- Principal Fellow HEA 2016-
- Fellow, Academy of Social Sciences 2012-
- University of Sheffield Senate Award for sustained excellence in learning and teaching 2011
- Member of Advisory Editorial Board of Health Economics, Policy and Law 2005-Associate Editor 2016-
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
- ‘Health “Brexternalities”: The Brexit effect on health and healthcare outside the EU’, for Faculty of Law, University of Amsterdam, 18 February 2020
- ‘Patients’ rights post-Brexit’ staff seminar for Cambridge Centre for European Legal Studies, University of Cambridge, 30 October 2019
- ‘Biobanking, data protection and Brexit’ for The Health of the Future: Perspectives and New Challenges of Health Law Bologna, Italy, 18-19 October 2019
- ‘Lessons from Brexit: internal reflections’ for Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference University of Central Lancashire, 4 September 2019
- ‘Brexit and health law: disruption and disparities’ for Healthcare disparities, disruptive healthcare technologies and the patient in Europe, University of Manchester, 12-15 June 2019 https://www.law.manchester.ac.uk/connect/events/healthcare-disparities/
- ‘Health “Brexternalities”: The Brexit effect on health and healthcare outside the EU’, for Jean Monnet network workshop, Copenhagen, Denmark, 10 June 2019
- ‘Health “Brexternalities”: The Brexit effect on health and healthcare outside the EU’, for inaugural Northern/Ireland Health Law and Ethics Network, Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin 30 May 2019
- ‘Inter-professional education: learning from other disciplines’, with Steve Walsh (University of Newcastle School of Education) and James Field (University of Sheffield Dental School), for Shaping the Future of Dental Education conference hosted by Association for Dental Education in Europe and American Dental Education Association, Brescia, Italy, 25-27 April 2019
- Roundtable panellist on ‘Brexit, Law and Society’ for Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference Leeds 3-5 April 2019
- ‘EU law protections for non-ideal weight discrimination?’ for The European Union as Protector and Promoter of Equality, Saarland University, Germany 28-30 March 2019
- ‘Brexit and Health Law’, Centre for Health Law, Policy and Ethics, University of Ottawa, 7 March 2019