I joined the University of Sheffield as a Lecturer in Spanish Law in September 2013. I am originally from Spain, where I was trained as a lawyer and where I gained my PhD in Law and Political Science (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid). I carry out an interdisciplinary research in English and Spanish in the field of Law and Politics, focusing on European constitutional jurisdictions, Constitutional Politics and Regional Integration.
- PhD in Law and Politics Science, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain)
- MA in Democracy and Government, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain)
- LLB Law, Universidad de Almería (Spain)
Teaching and Learning
I know how important a high-quality teaching is for my students. I try to combine the teaching of core and basic contents of each subject with the explanation of latest developments in the field, so that students are aware of which are the main current social and academic debates. In the Spanish law modules that I teach I reproduce the main patterns of Spanish academia so that students can get familiar with it, I stimulate debate in Spanish language and encourage participation. My aim is to get the best from my students, and for that reason I take into account what their starting point is and what their personal and social constraints are.
The modules I teach are:
|Spanish Legal Language (Convenor)||European Union Constitutional Law (Convenor)|
|Legal and Political Culture and the Spanish-Speaking World (Convenor)|
|European Union Law|
|Spanish Law and Legal System (Convenor)|
|Administrative Law and Justice|
- European Constitutional Politics
- Spanish Constitutional Politics
- Constitutional Jurisdictions
- Regional IntegrationConfigurational Analysis
Member of the Sheffield Institute of Corporate and Commercial Law and the Sheffield Centre for International and European Law research clusters.
Areas of Research Supervision
- Spanish Public Law and Politics
- European Constitutonal Law and Politics
- Configurational Analysis
- Judicial institutions and judicial decision-making
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
- Paper giver at the 1st Conference of the International Public Law Association, ICON-S (Florence), “The Judicialization of the Euro-Crisis”, 26th June 2014 (With Juan A. Mayoral)
- Paper giver at the 64th Conference of the Political Studies Association, « The Politics of Homo-Parental Adoption in the EU : A QCA approach », 15th April 2014 (With Iván Medina Iborra)
- Paper giver at the XI Congress of the Spanish Political Science Association (AECPA), “Movilizando el Poder Judicial: grupos de interés en Justicia”, 18th September 2013
- Paper giver at the QCA Expert Seminar (Université Catholique de Louvain), “Kompetenz-Kompetenz: The Micropolitics of Judicial Empowerment in the Processes of Ratification of European Union Treaties”, 3rd December 2012
- Paper giver at the Workshop “National Courts vis-à-vis EU law: new issues, theories & methods” (European University Institute): “The Last Say: Explaining Courts’ Declarations of Kompetenz-Kompetenz in the Process of Ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, 30th November 2012
|Title/Description:||The Protection of Democracy in Integration Organizations in Europe and Latin-America and the Caribbean|
|Awarding Body:||EU-LAC Foundation|
|People Involved:||Carlos Juan Closa Montero (PI), Pablo José Castillo Ortiz, José Antonio Sanahuja, Diana Tussie, Cintia Quiliconi|
|Years Funded for:||2014-2015|
Professional Activities and Recognition
- Reviewer for Revista de Estudios Políticos
- Member of the International Association for Public Law (ICON-S)
- Member of the Spanish Political Science Association (AECPA)
- Author of contributions for the newspaper El País and for ‘Contrapoder’ in Eldiario.es
- Castillo Ortiz PJ, Medina I, Álamos-Concha P & Rihoux B (2017) Análisis Cualitativo Comparado (QCA). Madrid: Centro De Investigaciones Sociológicas.
- Castillo Ortiz PJ (2015) EU Treaties and the Judicial Politics of National Courts: A Law and Politics Approach. Routledge.
- Castillo Ortiz PJ (2017) Councils of the Judiciary and Judges’ Perceptions of Respect to Their Independence in Europe. The Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, 9(2), 315-336. View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz PJ (2017) The Political De-determination of Legal Rules and the Contested Meaning of the ‘No Bailout’ Clause. Social and Legal Studies, 26(2), 249-272. View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz PJ (2017) National Higher Courts and European Integration: A Survey of Six Decades of Academic Inquiry. German Law Journal, 18(4), 800-822. View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz PJ & Medina I (2015) Paths to the recognition of homo-parental adoptive rights in the EU-27: a QCA analysis. Contemporary Politics, 22(1), 40-56. View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz PJ (2015) Framing the Court: Political Reactions to the Ruling on the Declaration of Sovereignty of the Catalan Parliament. The Hague Journal on the Rule of Law, 7(1), 27-47.
- Castillo Ortiz PJ (2015) The Contested 'Constitution' of the EU and the quest for ever-democratic constitutionalism. Panoptica. View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz P (2014) ‘Playing the Judicial Card’: Litigation Strategies during the Process of Ratification of the Lisbon Treaty. European Law Journal, 20(5), 630-648. View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz P (2013) La política judicial del tribunal constitucional en los procesos de ratificación de tratados de la Unión Europea: aproximación desde un nuevo realismo jurídico [The Judicial Politics of the Constitutional Court in the Processes of Ratification of European Union Treaties: approach from a new legal realism]. Revista de Estudios Políticos, 159.
- Castillo Ortiz PJ, Ali A & Samanta N () Gender, Intersectionality and Religious Manifestation Before the European Court of Human Rights. Journal of Human Rights. View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz P & Closa Montero (2012) National Courts and Ratification of the EU Treaties: Assessing the Impact of Political Contexts in Judicial Decisions In Evas T, Lord C & Liebert E (Ed.), Multilayered Representation in the European Union (pp. 129-155).
- Castillo Ortiz PJ, Closa C & Palestini S (2016) Regional Organisations and Mechanisms for Democracy Protection in Latin America, the Caribbean and the European Union View this article in WRRO
- Castillo Ortiz PJ (2018) Partnering for Democracy: Protecting the Democratic Order in Post-Brexit Europe. View this article in WRRO