Dr Russell Buchan
Position: Senior Lecturer in International Law
Email Address: R.J.Buchan@sheffield.ac.uk
Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 6769
Room No: EF01c Twitter: @RussellBuchan
I am a senior lecturer in international law at the University of Sheffield School of Law. I am part of the admissions team for the School’s undergraduate cours
- LLB (Hons)
Teaching and Learning
I teach predominantly in my area of research: public international law. This enables me to teach with enthusiasm and to present to my students my interpretations of international law and, if necessary, how it should be reformed. Importantly, I expect my students to participate in this process; challenging my ideas and interpretations, forcing me to reflect critically upon my research. In light of this expectation, my students are therefore expected to not just understand the law (and its application) but to engage with it normatively; what’s good about the law? What should be maintained? What should be changed? For me, this enables teaching and learning to be as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
I teach both undergraduate and postgraduate module.
The modules I teach are:
|Undergraduate||Postgraduate and MA|
|Foundations of International Law (Convenor)||Theoretical Foundations of International Organisations (Convenor)|
|Advanced Issues in International Law (Convenor)||International Law and the Use of Force (Convenor)|
|International Humanitarian Law (Convenor)|
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Criminal Law
- Cyber War
- Post Conflict Reconstruction
- International Legal and Political Theory
Member of the Sheffield Centre for International and European Law Research Cluster.
My book, International Law and the Construction of the Liberal Peace, won the American Society of International Law’s Francis Lieber Prize for an outstanding monograph in the field of armed conflict for 2014.
Areas of Research Supervision
- International Peace and Security
- International Legal Theory
- Post Conflict Reconstruction
- Cyber Security
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
Russell has presented his research at various international and national conferences. These include presentations at the Universities of: Bristol, Cambridge, Durham, Oxford, Exeter, Glasgow, Helsinki (Finland), Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Sydney (Australia), Turku (Finland) and Utrecht (Holland). I have also presented my research at the Australian National University and the Universidad de Los Andes (Colombia). I have presented my research to the Council of Europe, International Law Association, Society of Legal Scholars, Law and Society Association, Chatham House, British Institute of International and Comparative Law, Ukrainian Embassy in London, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence.
Key Projects and Grants
|Title/Description:||The Responsibility to Protect and Humanity: A Study on the Idea of Human Interconnectedness’|
|Awarding Body:||White Rose Collaboration Fund|
|Awarding Body:||A consortium of 10 academics from Universities across the United Kingdom|
|Years Funded for:||July 2013 - July 2015|
Professional Activities and Recognition
- I sit on the Editorial Board of the Journal of the Use of Force in International Law (Hart Publishing)
- Special Issue Editor of the International Community Law Review (Martinus Nijhoff)
- I sit of the Advisory Board of the International Community Law Review (Martinus Nijhoff)
- I have reviewed numerous articles and book proposals for leading Law Journals and Publishers.
- United Nations Peacekeeping operations: when can unlaw acts committed by peacekeeping forces be attributed to the United Nations. Legal Studies, 32(2), 282-301.
- Cyber Attacks: Unlawful Users of Force or Prohibited Interventions. Journal of Conflict and Security Law, 17(2).
- The International Law of Naval Blockade and Israel's Interception of the Mavi Marmara. The Netherlands International Law Review, 58(2), 209-242.