Having graduated from Sheffield in 1984 I first qualified as a Solicitor in 1987 and worked in private practice specialising in commercial law, intellectual property, IT and internet law. I was listed as a leading professional in my field in Chambers Guide to the Legal Profession for a number of years.
On my return to academia in 2000 I first worked as a lecturer on the Legal Practice Course at the University of Sheffield where I led its Commercial Law Elective and also, for a period, its Business and Legal Practice Course. I began teaching on postgraduate commercial courses in spring 2008 and moved to teach full time on undergraduate and postgraduate law courses in September 2008.
I became a Senior University Teacher in January 2008 and currently teach contract law and commercial law subjects to undergraduate students and several postgraduate commercial law and practice based modules.
- LLB (Hons) ,The University of Sheffield, 1984
- Law Society Finals, The College of Law Chester, 1985
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy 2007
- Masters in Education, University of Sheffield, 2010
Teaching and Learning
I am passionate about the teaching and learning experience of students and in allowing access to university to students who might not traditionally consider entering higher education:
- I gained a Masters’ in Education at Sheffield with a dissertation concerning feedback;
- My teaching places an emphasis on student-centred learning with small group-work designed to both enhance the acquisition of substantive knowledge, academic and critical skills and also to allow the acquisition and practise of key transferable skills such as problem solving, team working and communication skills;
- I was the first Learning and Teaching Director for Widening Participation, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Sheffield;
- I have led two funded internationalisation projects for the School of Law to assist the transition of its overseas students into postgraduate studies in English Law;
I was both a Teaching Advocate for the School of Law and also chair of the School’s Teaching and Quality Standards Committee for a number of years.
The modules I teach are:
|Law of Contract||International Business Transactions (Convenor)|
|Sale of Goods Law||Commercial Legal Skills (Convenor)|
|Commercial Transactions (Convenor)|
|Commercial Contracts (Convenor)|
I am particularly interested in behavioural aspects of contract law and contract law in practice. In doing so I consider both classical and neo-classical theories of law but also alternative theoretical approaches to contract law such as relational contract theory and how the law does (or does not) deal with networks of contracts. I also touch on law and economics and its role in market and contracting behaviour.
In the past these interests have led to papers and presentations on good faith in long-term relational contracts. I have also undertaken some small scale empirical studies on contractual behaviour when renegotiating long term commercial contracts. I hope to return to this line of enquiry in the future.
At the moment I am working on a multi-disciplinary project funded by the White Rose University Consortium where, working with colleagues from the Universities of Sheffield, Leeds, Exeter and York, we are undertaking a critical analysis of current conceptual understandings of resilience in agri-food supply chains. My particular contribution to this project is to consider the role of contracts, governance and regulation in resilience in food supply chains.
Member of the Sheffield Institute of Corporate and Commercial Law.
Member of the University of Sheffield's Sustainable Food Futures research group.
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
- The View from the Coal Face: Good Faith in Relational Contracts, North East Regional Obligations Group, 5 July 2014, Newcastle.
Professional Activities and Recognition
- External Examiner University of Derby 2013 onwards
- External Examiner BPP Law School 2011-2014
- Law Society Appointed External Examiner for the Legal Practice Course 2006-7
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Society of Legal Scholars
- Solicitor (non-practising)
- Programme Director, LLM International Commercial Law and Legal Practice 2011 onwards
- School of Law’s Director of Widening Participation 3013 onwards
- Director of Learning and Teaching, Widening Participation, Faculty of Social Sciences, 2012 – 2014
- Member of University of Sheffield’s University Widening Participation Forum, 2012-14
- Member of University of Sheffield’s Widening Participation Research and Evaluation Unit’s Steering Group 2012-14
- Member of University of Sheffield’s Admissions and Outreach sub-committee (AOSC) 2012-14
- Member of University of Sheffield’s Working Group - Review of Foundations Programme– 2013-14
- Member of the University of Sheffield’s Senate Committee 2010-2013
- Chair of the School of Law’s Teaching Quality and Standards Committee 2009 - 2011
- Member of the School’s Teaching Quality and Standards Committee 2001 -2011
- Member of the School of Law’s Teaching Committee 2009 -2012
- Undergraduate Admissions Tutor, 2008-2012
- School of Law’s Teaching Advocate 2007 -2010
- Admissions Tutor, Legal Practice Course 2005-2008