Can someone else borrow library material for me?

Yes. In many cases where the library buildings are inaccessible to a student, the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service will arrange a Library Support Worker (LSW) for you. Among other things, LSWs can borrow books on your behalf. If you are an external user or wish to nominate your own LSW, please email

We will give your LSW a Library Support Worker card. Your LSW will never need to use your UCard, but they could be asked to provide proof of their own identity.

What is a Library Support Worker card?

A Library Support Worker card shows a copy of your UCard number. Your LSW can ask Library staff to issue books to this card. Alternatively, if you are happy for your LSW to know your UCard PIN, they can borrow items using the Library self-issue machines.
Please note that reserved items can only be collected from Libraries, other than the IC, during staffed hours. LSWs who are not registered members of the University can only access the Libraries during staffed hours. Details of staffed and self-service hours are available at Library sites

What if my UCard / Library card has to be replaced?

If your UCard/Library card has to be replaced and it has a new number, please email and we will provide a new Library Support Worker card.

What if I no longer employ my Library Support Worker?

Please inform us immediately by emailing

How can I contact you?

If you would like further information or wish to comment on any aspect of the service for disabled and dyslexic customers, please contact us by: