We welcome visitors to the library from across the city and beyond.
External Reader categories
How to apply
Applications for library membership are done online and you will be required to upload a current passport style photograph.
Applications may take up to three weeks to process and you will be notified when your card is ready for collection.
You can select the Library site from which to collect your card; please bring photographic proof of identification and proof of your current address.
16/17 years olds will need to bring signed parental/carer consent and proof of date of birth.
SCONUL Access Band R applicants must produce a copy of their SCONUL email.
If you wish to renew your card or you require a replacement because your card has been lost or damaged, please apply online.
Access to sites:
External Readers can access these sites during staffed service hours.
- Western Bank Library
- Health Sciences Libraries
- The Diamond - Ground floor
Benefits of membership
- Use of the Library catalogue, StarPlus to check library holdings. Your membership allows reference access only
- Use of Library print collections
- Use of microform reader/printers, DVD and video players (where available)
- Use of Self-service photocopiers.
Special Collections and Archives
- Items from the Special Collections and Archives (reference use only) may be made available, subject to the approval of the Head of Special Collections, Jacky Hodgson, (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enquiries relating to the National Fairground and Circus Archive should be addressed to email@example.com or phone 0114 2227231
Access to Wi-Fi
If your home university uses Eduroam, you will be able to access the wireless internet;
- Choose your wireless icon and search for available wireless networks
- Select Eduroam and click the connect button
- When asked for your username, type it in followed by @yourhomeuniversity.ac.uk (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Provide your password and ‘Connect’
Access to e-journals
External Readers can access a large number of electronic journals from the University’s portfolio using our “Walk in Access” scheme. Access is provided via dedicated computers based in Western Bank Library and the Health Sciences Library at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the Northern General Hospital.
To register as an authorised walk-in user you must sign and agree to the code of practice (forms are available at all three sites). You are also required to provide proof of name and address and membership of the Library. Please note, access is limited to one hour per user during busy periods.