Affiliated White Rose Postgraduate Research members
The University of Sheffield is pleased to welcome applications for membership to the library from all White Rose Postgraduate Research students!
Postgraduate Research students from the Universities of York and Leeds can become affiliated PGR members of our library, online
Access to Library Sites:
- Western Bank Library
- Health Sciences Libraries
- Information Commons (during staffed hours)
Borrowing from the Library
- You can borrow up to 50 books, for a period of four weeks at a time.
- As long as no-one has requested your items we will keep renewing them automatically until the expiry date of your account.
- We will send you a weekly borrowing statement email to remind you which books you have out on loan and highlight any that have been requested and cannot be renewed.
- You can check your account on StarPlus, and also place requests on items.
- We no longer fine on overdue items but, if a requested item is not brought back on time then your borrower account will be blocked until the item is returned.
Special Collections and Archives
- Items from the Special Collections and Archives (reference use only) may be made available, subject to the approval of the Head of Special Collections, Jacky Hodgson, (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Enquiries relating to the National Fairground and Circus Archive should be addressed to email@example.com or phone 0114 2227231
Access to Wi-Fi
You can access your home universities wi-fi network by connecting to Eduroam https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/cics/wireless - make sure that you use your home university username and password and also add @york.ac.uk or @Leeds.ac.uk as appropriate.
Access to e-journals
Affiliated Researchers can access a large number of electronic journals from the University’s portfolio using our “Walk in Access” scheme. Access is provided via dedicated computers based in Western Bank Library and the Health Sciences Library at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the Northern General Hospital.
To register as an authorised walk-in user you must sign and agree to the code of practice (forms are available at all three sites). You are also required to provide proof of name and address and membership of the Library. Please note, access is limited to one hour per user during busy periods.
Other library benefits for Affiliated Research members
- Use of all the Library print collections
- Use of microform reader/printers, DVD and video players (where available)
- Use of Self-service photocopiers
(This scheme does not include subsidised Inter-library loan requests and any interlending should be pursued via your home institution library service.)
Applying for a library card
Applications for library membership are done online and you will be required to upload a recent passport style photograph. Apply here.
Applications may take up to three weeks to process and you will be notified when your card is ready for collection. If you wish to use the library in the meantime then please apply in person for a temporary library card which will allow you to use the library for reference while your card is being made.
You can select the Library site from which to collect your card; please bring proof of identification, proof of your current address and home institution library card. White Rose applicants are required to provide a copy of their letter of introduction.
If you wish to renew your card or you require a replacement because your card has been lost or damaged, please apply online.
If you have any enquiries, please contact the Library HelpDesk (0114) 222 7200, or visit Western Bank Library or the Health Sciences Library, Royal Hallamshire Hospital during staffed service hours.