Associate Dean Education
Senior University Teacher in Management
+44 114 222 3358
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
After gaining 20 years business experience in Scottish & Newcastle Plc, HBOS Plc, BSkyB Plc and HSS Hire Ltd and running my own consultancy working closely with Edinburgh City Council and also 2 not for profit charities providing services to the public, I decided to explore a career in teaching.
The skills gained in sales management, business strategy as well as HR and Organisational Development has enabled me to provide many examples that will support the theory taught through the modules I teach on.
This experience I believe along with the theory helps to broaden the learning experience for many students.
My academic experience started in 2011 and followed my completion of a self funded MBA (Distinction) at University of Sheffield. My high grade was as a result of the synthesis and integration of theory and practice in my work and dissertation.
This interest in academia fuelled my desire to continue in this arena. I have developed a range of subject areas including Management, Project Management and Human Resource Management within the Management School.
I am currently Teaching Champion for the Management Division due to my desire to improve the experience gained by students at the school.
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO The role of technology in Assessment, Feedback and Faculty Affordances. The role of technology in Assessment, Feedback and Faculty Affordances, 5 June 2017 - 6 June 2017.
- View this article in WRRO Satisfying students needs for timely, informative feedback with the constraints and issues of time, quality and consistency. Proceedings of 24th Annual Conference (pp 59-61). online and hard copy, 28 September 2016 - 30 September 2016.
- Teaching activities
Having worked in the Learning & Development Team for many organisations many of the attendees on workshops were senior leaders and as such were well skilled and experienced business leaders.
This experience has ensured that my teaching approach is more facilitative especially in seminars and tutorials were groups sizes will encourage this.
When attending any of my sessions it is a minimal requirement for all in attendance to contribute, participate and engage with the material.
Students feedback has included “lecturer is enthusiastic and worthwhile listening to…….has helped my critical thinking…..one of my better modules in the management school…..lecturer always replied to emails….good teaching staff…interesting modules….”
My teaching has included:
- MGT134 Business Management in Context (ML)
- MGT140 Business Challenges
- MGT226 Human Resource Management
- MGT388 Accounting and Finance for Engineers
- MGT389 Project Management and Human Resource Management for Engineers (ML)
- MGT650 Human Resource Management (PG)
- MGT6122 Company project (PG) (ML)
- MGT6127 Management & Organisational Theory
- Supervision for Dissertations
ML denotes Module Leader
- Professional activities
Responsible for the strategic and academic leadership of learning, teaching and the student experience across the University of Sheffield Management School.
- Senate award for Excellence in Learning & Teaching
- Jane N Ryland Fellowship