Dr Andrew Brint
Lecturer in Operations Management
+44 114 222 3470
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
Andrew holds an MSc in Computer Science (Manchester) and a PhD in Information Studies (Sheffield).
After postdoctoral work on computer vision, Andrew joined EA Technology in 1990 and worked on a variety of research and development projects for the electricity distribution industry.
In 1998, Andrew was appointed as a lecturer in the Centre for Operational Research and Applied Statistics at the University of Salford before joining Sheffield University in 2006.
Andrews previous employment and education include; Lecturer in OR and Applied Statistics at Salford University; Research Scientist at EA Technology; Postdoctoral research in computer vision at Oxford University; PhD in Information Studies from The University of Sheffield; MSc in Computer Science from Manchester University; Mathematics degree (1st class) from Oxford University.
- Research interests
Andrew's research interests include:
- Infrastructure Asset Management – particularly with regard to electricity distribution networks
- The effects of asking and reservation prices in auctions and bargaining – especially for houses
- Operations and Supply Chain Management.
- The effect of risk aversion on the optimal project resource rate. European Journal of Operational Research. View this article in WRRO
- A win-win supply chain solution using project contracts with bargaining games. Operations Research Perspectives, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Integrating sustainable supply chain practices with operational performance: An exploratory study of Chinese SMEs. Production Planning & Control, 30(5-6), 464-478. View this article in WRRO
- Improving reverse supply chain performance: The role of supply chain leadership and governance mechanisms. Journal of Cleaner Production, 216, 42-55. View this article in WRRO
- Supply chain leadership: A systematic literature review and a research agenda. International Journal of Production Economics. View this article in WRRO
- Regional bias when benchmarking services using customer satisfaction scores. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence. View this article in WRRO
- Using grouped smart meter data in phase identification. Computers and Operations Research, 96, 213-222. View this article in WRRO
- Low voltage current estimation using AMI/smart meter data. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 99, 290-298. View this article in WRRO
- Using smart meters to estimate low-voltage losses. IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, 12(5), 1206-1212. View this article in WRRO
- Bubbles, Blind-Spots and Brexit. Risks, 5(3). View this article in WRRO
- Improving estimates of asset condition using historical data. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 1-10.
- Modelling a property's time to sale by inflating its previous selling price. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 63(6), 762-770.
- The rise, current position and future direction of asset management in utility industries.. J. Oper. Res. Soc., 60.
- Predicting a house's selling price through inflating its previous selling price.. J. Oper. Res. Soc., 60, 339-347.
- Bootstrapping to choose an estimator after sampling on two occasions. IMA J MANAG MATH, 20(1), 81-94.
- The rise, current position and future direction of asset management. 50th Annual Conference of the Operational Research Society 2008, OR50, 133-147.
- A method for generating condition histories for infrastructure items. IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, 18(1), 3-15.
- Sampling on successive occasions to re-estimate future asset management expenditure. EUR J OPER RES, 175(2), 1210-1223.
- A semi-Markov approach for modelling asset deterioration. J OPER RES SOC, 56(11), 1241-1249.
- Comparing probabilistic methods for the asset management of distributed items. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 11(2), 102-109.
- Investigating buyer and seller strategies in online auctions. J OPER RES SOC, 54(11), 1177-1188.
- Managing assets using infrequent inspections. IEE Conference Publication, 3(482).
- Sequential Inspection Sampling to Avoid Failure Critical Items Being in an at Risk Condition. The Journal of the Operational Research Society, 51(9), 1051-1051.
- Sequential inspection sampling to avoid failure critical items being in an at risk condition. J OPER RES SOC, 51(9), 1051-1059.
- Modelling the degradation of condition indices. IEE P-GENER TRANSM D, 146(4), 386-392.
- A structured approach to Asset Management within the electricity industry. Utilities Policy, 7(4), 221-232.
- Evaluating strategies for reliable distribution. IEEE COMPUT APPL POW, 11(3), 43-47.
- Use of condition information and the physical processes of failure as an aid to asset management. Proceedings of the Universities Power Engineering Conference, 2, 783-786.
- eaNSF: A simulation tool for evaluating strategies. IEE Conference Publication(438 pt 1/6).
- Intelligent systems for power distribution networks. POWER ENG J, 10(2), 81-86.
- Expert systems to support network switching. IEE Conference Publication(373 pt 4).
- STEREO MATCHING OF CURVES. IMAGE VISION COMPUT, 8(1), 50-56.
- CORRECTION. J MOL GRAPHICS, 7(4), 246-246.
- RAPID GEOMETRIC SEARCHING IN PROTEIN STRUCTURES. J MOL GRAPHICS, 7(1), 48-53.
- Upperbound procedures for the identification of similar three-dimensional chemical structures.. J Comput Aided Mol Des, 2(4), 311-320.
- CHEMICAL GRAPH MATCHING USING TRANSPUTER NETWORKS. PARALLEL COMPUT, 8(1-3), 295-300.
- IDENTIFYING 3D MAXIMAL COMMON SUBSTRUCTURES USING TRANSPUTER NETWORKS. J MOL GRAPHICS, 5(4), 200-207.
- ALGORITHMS FOR THE IDENTIFICATION OF 3-DIMENSIONAL MAXIMAL COMMON SUBSTRUCTURES. J CHEM INF COMP SCI, 27(4), 152-158.
- PHARMACOPHORIC PATTERN-MATCHING IN FILES OF 3D CHEMICAL STRUCTURES - COMPARISON OF GEOMETRIC SEARCHING ALGORITHMS. J MOL GRAPHICS, 5(1), 49-56.
- Substructure Searching in Files of Three-Dimensional Chemical Structures, Chemical Structures (pp. 131-144). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Conference proceedings papers
- Analyzing the ability of Smart Meter Data to Provide Accurate Information to the UK DNOs. CIRED - Open Access Proceedings Journal (pp 2078-2081), 12 June 2017 - 15 June 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Geospatial visualization of Smart data for improved network management. 2015 IEEE Eindhoven PowerTech, 29 June 2015 - 2 July 2015.
- A prototype model for asset management of a network structured system. SAFETY AND RELIABILITY, VOLS 1 & 2 (pp 271-276)
- KEY TECHNOLOGIES FOR DISTRIBUTION NETWORK MANAGEMENT. NEW ELECTRICITY 21: POWER INDUSTRY TECHNOLOGY AND MANAGEMENT STRATEGIES FOR THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY (pp 683-688)
- Stereo Matching of Curves. Procedings of the Alvey Vision Conference 1989
- Stereo Matching of Curves.. Alvey Vision Conference (pp 1-6)
- Stereo Matching Of Curves By Least Deformation. Proceedings. IEEE/RSJ International Workshop on Intelligent Robots and Systems '. (IROS '89) 'The Autonomous Mobile Robots and Its Applications
- Teaching interests
MGT137 and MGT138 Analysis for Decision Making:
These modules introduce a range of quantitative techniques and tools which can be used to produce useful management information within a business context, for example project evaluation using Net Present Value and Internal Rate of Return. The ability to apply this knowledge and communicate the results of their analyses in a range of business situations is taught.
MGT6046 Operations and Supply Chain Management:
This module provides knowledge of the basic concepts and techniques of Operations Management, along with an outline of some of the key concepts and techniques of Operational Research.