Dr John Lang
PhD, MPhil, MBA, BSc
Senior University Teacher: Entrepreneurship, Strategy and International Business
+44 114 222 3359
Full contact details
Western Bank Villa
300-302 Western Bank
Dr John Lang is a Senior University Teacher in Executive and Professional Education, in the Sheffield University Management School (SUMS).
He is a member of the Entrepreneurship, Strategy and International Business group in SUMS.
Having worked in managerial positions industry for: The London Stock Exchange; Dun and Bradstreet; and British Telecom, in systems analysis and project management roles, he takes a pragmatic approach to management education, using serious games and simulations as teaching elements.
He has variously taught and researched at The Judge Business School, University of Cambridge; Warwick Business School, University of Warwick; Imperial College, University of London and Anglia Ruskin University.
He has supervised DBA, Masters and Undergraduate students, and enjoys both research and teaching elements of the educational experience.
Dr Lang is a graduate of the following institutions:
- PhD University of Cambridge, Judge Business school; Emmanuel College
- MPhil University of Cambridge Judge Business School
- MBA University of Bradford Management School
- BSc (Hons) University of Bradford.
In addition to the above, Dr Lang holds a PRINCE II professional practitioner qualification from the APM / OGC.
- Research interests
John’s research interests include:
- Strategic Flexibility and Ecosystems
- Late Rentierism in the GCC States linked to Cornell University (SC Johnson College of Business), INSEAD and WIPO’s Global Innovation Index research
- Simulation Based Learning
- Cognitive Rigour
- Fintech Hubs and AI as Ecosystems
- Electric Vehicle Development and Innovation
- Graphene Ecosystems.
The research is empirically based and is a mixture of private and publicly funded.
- Research group
I am interested in supervising PhD students who would like to examine issues to do with:
- Multiple fields and areas of Strategy and Ecosystems
- Promoting Cognitive Rigour using Simulations
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare
- AI and Fintech
- AI and Medtech, EV and Autonomous Vehicle Development
However, if you feel that you have a project of promise, please email me and we can discuss the possibility of taking it further.
- Teaching interests
Always practitioner focussed, John uses examples informed by his experience in industry and consultancy, using the gamut of pedagogical approaches to scaffold student learning across the laminal space from prescriptive to “liquid emergent learning” paradigms.
He believes that teaching and learning is a dialogic process especially in the andragogic learning environment of executive education, in which autodidactic learning process is an outcome.
- Professional activities
His industry experience includes working for The London Stock Exchange as a project manager and systems analyst; Dun and Bradstreet as a manager in financial management operations; British Telecomm as a manager in database operations.