Dr Mehran Samavati
Lecturer in Operational Research
Full contact details
Sheffield University Management School
Dr Samavati obtained his PhD in Operational Research (Operations Research) from University of New South Wales, Australia. Before joining University of Sheffield, he was a post-doctoral research fellow for 3.5 years at Rio Tinto Centre for Mine Automation (RTCMA), located at the University of Sydney, Australia. During his time at RTCMA, Dr Samavati conducted research for the Rio Tinto mining company (one of the world's largest and most prestigious companies in the mining industry) in the area of Mine Planning and Scheduling, Mine Automation, and Fleet Management. He developed state-of-the-art optimisation algorithms for various mine sites of the company to be used as the algorithmic core of the company's management systems. Dr Samavati has also conducted miscellaneous research projects for the mining sector, such as the analysis of a mine planning software package, called Fewzion, developed by the CommitWorks mine planning company in Australia.
- PhD - University of New South Wales
- MSc Industrial Engineering - University of Tehran
- Research interests
- Operations research
- Applied optimisation with applications to supply chain management
- Mine planning and scheduling
- Manufacturing planning and scheduling
- Energy planning
- Heuristics for integrated blending optimisation in a mining supply chain. Omega, 102373-102373.
- Production planning and scheduling in mining scenarios under IPCC mining systems. Computers & Operations Research, 115, 104714-104714.
- A new methodology for the open-pit mine production scheduling problem. Omega, 81, 169-182.
- A methodology for the large-scale multi-period precedence-constrained knapsack problem: an application in the mining industry. International Journal of Production Economics, 193, 12-20.
- A local branching heuristic for the open pit mine production scheduling problem. European Journal of Operational Research, 257(1), 261-271.
- Scheduling trucks in fruit cross docks as an open shop problem with edge colouring. International Journal of Automation and Logistics, 1(2), 140-140.
- Proactive and reactive inventory policies in humanitarian operations. Uncertain Supply Chain Management, 3(3), 253-272.
- Reconfigurable Dynamic Cellular Manufacturing System: A New Bi-Objective Mathematical Model. RAIRO - Operations Research, 48(1), 75-102.
- Satisfying the Energy Demand of a Rural Area by Considering the Investment on Renewable Energy Alternatives and Depreciation Costs. Journal of Renewable Energy, 2014, 1-8.
Conference proceedings papers
- Improvements in plan-driven truck dispatching systems for surface mining (pp 357-366)
- Open-Pit Mine Production Planning and Scheduling: A Research Agenda (pp 221-226)
- A new branching scheme for the open pit mine production scheduling problem. Proceedings - CIE 45: 2015 International Conference on Computers and Industrial Engineering
- Developing and promoting OKP production system: a JIT production planning approach. International Conference on Graphic and Image Processing (ICGIP 2011)
Theses / Dissertations
- Teaching activities
Postgraduate module: MGT6084 Logistics Systems