Dr Steven Pattinson
Senior University Teacher in Strategy
+44 114 222 3241
Full contact details
Western Bank Villa
300-302 Western Bank
Steven Pattinson is a Senior University Teacher in Strategy at Sheffield University Management School.
He received his PhD from Teesside University. His portfolio of activities and responsibilities not only encompasses teaching and learning, but also research(both funded and contract research projects), business engagement, enterprise, employability and consultancy.
He has also supervised two doctoral students to completion. He is the case study editor for the International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation and is an editorial review board member for Industrial Marketing Management.
- Research interests
Steven’s primary research interest a focuses on entrepreneurship and innovation in science- based, high technology SMEs. He has a secondary research interest in the area of social enterprise.
He has published in leading journals including Management Learning, Journal of Management Inquiry, Industrial Marketing Management, Journal of Small Business Management, Journal of Knowledge Management, Local Economy and International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
He has worked on a number of research projects in economic development and social enterprise funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, Institute for Local Governance, Gateshead Council, National Offender Management Service (North East) and Enterprise Educators UK.
- The role of the entrepreneurial university in building an entrepreneurial ecosystem in a post conflict economy: an exploratory study of Rwanda. Thunderbird International Business Review, 62(5), 549-563.
- The Hextol Foundation : building a sustainable social enterprise business model. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation. View this article in WRRO
- Understanding effectual decision-making in a science-based business : the case of Hart Biologicals. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 20(1), 65-71. View this article in WRRO
- How to write really good research funding applications. Industrial Marketing Management, 77, 232-239. View this article in WRRO
- Book review : The business of innovation, Jay Mitra. International Small Business Journal: Researching Entrepreneurship, 36(7), 853-854. View this article in WRRO
- The “Tango Argentino” : a metaphor for understanding effectuation processes. Journal of Management Inquiry. View this article in WRRO
- Emergent coopetition from a sensemaking perspective : a multi-level analysis. Industrial Marketing Management, 68, 25-35. View this article in WRRO
- In search of innovative capabilities of communities of practice : a systematic review and typology for future research. Management Learning, 47(5), 506-524. View this article in WRRO
- Strategic thinking : intelligent opportunism and emergent strategy — the case of Strategic Engineering Services. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, 17(1), 65-70. View this article in WRRO
- Communities of practice, knowledge acquisition and innovation : a case study of science-based SMEs. Journal of Knowledge Management, 18(1), 107-120. View this article in WRRO
- Local Enterprise Agency loan funds and investment readiness in UK small firms. Local Economy: The Journal of the Local Economy Policy Unit, 29(1-2), 9-21. View this article in WRRO
- Research group
Steven is interested in supervising research projects in the areas of entrepreneurship and innovation, particularly those with a focus on science-based, high-tech SMEs or social enterprise.
- Teaching activities
As a research active, teaching focused academic, Steven recognizes the importance of providing students with a rich learning experience by using both disciplinary and pedagogic research in his teaching.
Steven views academic knowledge and practice as inseparable, with empowerment a key factor to learning, and therefore seeks to create productive learning environments using ‘real life’ case studies.