I joined the Management School in October 2016. Prior to this, I worked at Franklin University Switzerland (Switzerland) and at the University of Cagliari (Italy). I hold a Ph.D in Development Policy and Management from the University of Manchester (UK), a MSc in Work and Industrial Relations from the University of Bologna (cum laude) and a Laurea in Work and Organisational Psychology from the University of Cagliari (cum laude).
Beside my academic work, I am also a chartered organizational psychologist with twenty years’ experience as management consultant in the public and non-profit sectors.
I am committed to providing students with engaging lectures and experiences, enabling them to challenge the taken-for-granted and stimulating critical, innovative and reflexive thinking. My lectures draw on both my research and my experience as a management consultant, and aim to be simultaneously theoretically solid, ethically sensitive and strongly relevant to practice. I also strive to make my teaching inclusive and respectful of students’ diverse identities and background. Currently I am Module Leader for MGT682 Research Methods and MGT226 Human Resource Management.
I am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
My main area of interest is management, politics and social change, focusing in particular on whether and how management theory and practice can contribute to making organisations, institutions and societies more just, equitable and sustainable. Starting from this broad interest, my research focuses predominantly (but not exclusively) on the non-profit sector in the Global South, and on exploring how civil society organisations can contribute to social justice and emancipatory transformation.
I am also interested in research on qualitative and critical research methodologies and processes and strategies to decolonize research and knowledge.
I am currently supervising:
- Rosie Westerveld (second supervisor) Partnerships among Southern and Northern NGOs
- Augusta Moore (first supervisor) Knowledge creation and exchange among Southern and Northern NGOs
- Juan Pablo Winter Sepulveda (first supervisor) Grassroots organisations in the housing sector in South Africa
I am interested in supervising qualitative research in the following areas:
- Management and social change
- NGOs/MBOs/CBOs and social justice and transformation
- Organisational change and development
- Diversity, equality and inclusiveness management and organisations.
- Ethics and justice in management and organisations.
- Decolonising management research and knowledge
A list of PhD research proposals is available here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/management/study/researchdegrees/projects
- Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA).
- Development Studies Association (DSA) Co-convenor of the NGOs in Development Study Group.
- British International Studies Association (BISA) (member of the NGO & Civil Society Working Group and of the Colonial/ Postcolonial/ Decolonial Working Group).
- Chartered member of the Italian Psychological Society.