Mohamed (BA PhD) is a member of CFA Institute and a Reader in Finance at Sheffield University Management School. He joined Sheffield from the University of Leicester School of Management in April 2015. Mohamed is an Honorary Visiting Fellow in the Centre for Sustainable Work and Employment Futures at the University of Leicester. His major research fields are regulation, competition, innovation, performance in financial institutions; corporate finance and governance.
Teaching and Learning
Corporate Finance - MBA and MSc
Quantitative Methods Accounting and Finance - UG
Research Methods - MSc
Research Memberships and Interests
Mohamed is Honorary Visiting Fellow in the Centre for Sustainable Work and Employment Futures at the University of Leicester and a member of the Centre for Research into Accounting and Finance in Context (CRAFiC) at the University of Sheffield.
- Regulation, competition, innovation, performance and risk in financial institutions
- Corporate finance, corporate governance and executive compensation
- SMEs lending
Areas of Research Supervision
- Stress-test in financial Institutions
- Regulations, innovation, performance and risk in financial institutions
- Corporate finance, corporarte governance and executive compensation
- SMEs lending and alternative finance
Key Projects / Grants
SME Support to Growth
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) PA2
Colleagues from multiple departments at the University of Leicester
|(CI) Research Infrastructure Fund||University of Leicester||February 2014||Prof. Meryem Duygun and Prof. Peter M. Jackson||£52000|
|(PI) Research Infrastructure Fund||University of Leicester||July 2012||Prof. Meryem Duygun||£35000|
Professional Activities, Recognition and Other Information
Recent invited presentations:
- Invited Speaker - The Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey G20 2015 Turkish Presidency Conference on “G20 Global Islamic Finance: Benefits and Challenges” on 31 August – 1 September 2015 in İstanbul, Turkey.
- Invited Speaker – Finest-Bloomberg, 2014 Summer Workshop on Banking Stability: Lessons from the Global Financial Crisis, Bloomberg, London, 2nd July 2014
- Invited speaker - 3rd International Workshop on ‘Measuring Banking Performance’, School of Business and Economics, Loughborough University, 26th June 2014
- Invited speaker at the Edinburgh Business School, Staff seminar – University of Edinburgh, March, 2014
- Keynote speaker – International Symposium on Bank Efficiency and Auditing, organised by Supreme Audit Board (BPK), Bank Indonesia, and Financial Services Authority, Jakarta, Republic of Indonesia, 31st October, 2013.
- Keynote speaker - Panel on Bank Efficiency, organised by the Supreme Audit Board (BPK), Jakarta, Republic of Indonesia, 31st July, 2012.
- Invited speaker - Central Bank of Turkey and Bosphorus University, Istanbul, Turkey, December, 2011
- Invited speaker - Central Bank of Brazil, Sao Paulo, Brazil. 11-12 August, 2011
- Invited speaker - Central Bank of Turkey and Bosphorus University, Istanbul, Turkey, December, 2010.
Three Universities for Business Financial and Business Services Seminar ‘Efficiency and Productivity Improvement: A Remedy to Overcome the Recent Crisis’, Marriott Hotel, Leicester, 17th March 2009.
Memberships and Establishing International Research Networks:
- 2009 - Founding member and Vice President of International Finance and Banking Society (IFABS). IFABS is a research society which was launched in 2008. It is a prestigious and successful forum for academic researchers and policy makers with 3500 members in 60 countries. Click here for more information.
- 2009 - Member of Working Group, Institute of Finance, University of Leicester
- 2006 - Founding member the UK Efficiency and Productivity Analysis Network (UKEPAN)
- 2006 - Board member of the Association of Operational Research Societies, EURO Working Group on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (EWG PA)
Special issue guest editorship:
- Special issue in Journal of Corporate Finance on Institutions, Governance and Finance in Globally Connected Environment, with Thomas Noe (Oxford University), Sanjay Banerji (University of Nottingham) and Meryem Duygun (University of Hull) from 30th September, 2015.
- Special issue in Journal of Banking and Finance on “The Search for Financial Stability: Models, Policies and Prospects”, with Ingmar Nolte, Filipa Sá and Meryem Duygun.
- Special issue in Journal of Banking and Finance on “Rethinking Banking and Finance: Money, Markets and Models”, 2013, 37, Issue 12, 5160-5162 with Meryem Duygun, Pilar Soriano, and Emili Tortosa-Ausina.
- Special issue in International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance on “Efficiency and Risk Management of Financial Services”, with Meryem Duygun.
Other research related professional activities: As Vice-President of IFABS, Mohamed has been involved in organising major international workshops/conferences or training programmes (with Meryem Duygun and other international collaborators):
- IFABS 2015 Corporate Finance Conference on “Institutions, Governance and Finance in Globally Connected Environment”, (with Thomas Noe, Oxford University, Sanjay Banerji, University of Nottingham and Meryem Duygun, University of Hull)
- IFABS 2015 7th International Conference [in progress] to be held in collaboration with Zheijang University, China and Academy of Financial Research (China)
- IFABS 2014 6th International Conference on "Alternative Futures for Global Banking: Competition, Regulation and Reform", 18-20 June, 2014 (with Mohamed Azzim, ISCTE Business School, Portugal; Andrew Clare, Cass Business School; and Alberto Pozzolo, University of Molise, Italy) www.ifabsconference.com. Click here for more information.
- IFABS 2014 International Workshop on Bank Efficiency and Financial Stability, (in partnership with Indonesian Finance Authorities - Indonesia Supreme Audit Board (BPK), and 5 state-owned banks- Bank Mandiri, BRI, BNI, BTN and the BJB), College Court, University of Leicester, UK, 7th February, 2014. Click here for more information.
- IFABS Strategic Training Course on Bank Performance Measurement (in partnership with Indonesian Finance Authorities - Indonesia Supreme Audit Board (BPK), and 5 state-owned banks- Bank Mandiri, BRI, BNI, BTN and the BJB). 1-13 February, 2014. College Court, University of Leicester. Click here for more information.
- IFABS 2013 5th International Conference on “The Search for Financial Stability: Models, Policies and Prospects”, 26-28 June, 2013 (with University of Cambridge and University of Warwick)
- IFABS 2012 4th International Conference on “Rethinking Banking and Finance: Money, Markets, Models”, 18-20 June, 2012 (with University of Valencia and University of Jaume I)
- Research Symposium on Banking and Finance, 19th November, 2011 (with Mike Tsionas, AUEB)
- IFABS 3rd International Conference on “Financial Intermediation, Competition and Risk”, 30 June - 2 July, 2011, Rome, Italy (with University of Rome III)
- IFABS 2nd International Conference on "Global Trends in the Efficiency and Risk Management of Financial Services", July 2-4, 2010, Chania, Crete (with Technical University of Crete)
- IFABS International Conference on “Efficiency and Risk Management of Financial Services and the Financial Crisis”, 15-16 November, 2009, Leicester.
Other activities as co-organiser:
- UKEPAN International Training Workshop on DEA and SFA methodologies between 2-7 July, 2007 in order to mark the 50th anniversary of the seminal article by Farrell (1957).
- Conference to launch UKEPAN - A successful international conference which was held at the School of Management on Saturday 18 February, 2006 to launch the new UK Efficiency and Productivity Analysis Network (UKEPAN).
Key previous achievemenets and projects:
- Feasibility study San Stefano - Four Seasons Alexandria - Egypt -Residential, commercial, offices, marina and hotel complex
- Financial restructuring Nile Plaza - Four Seasons Hotel - Residential, commercial, and hotel complex in Cairo
- Financial restructuring Four Seasons Hotel Sharm El Sheikh - The finest resort in Sinai - Egypt
- Feasibility study of the extension of Al Rabwa - Residential compound
- Feasibility study of the extension of Al Rehab city - Al Rehab is the first city developed by private sector in Egypt
- Feasibility study Kempinski Nile Hotel in Cairo