Peter Warr is an Emeritus Professor at the Institute of Work Psychology.
Areas of Expertise
- Factors influencing happiness and unhappiness
- Motivation, personality and behaviour
- Age differences in employment
- Worker happiness and unhappiness
- Motivation and engagement
- Self-employed workers’ motives and happiness
- Person-job fit
- BA, University of Cambridge
- PhD, University of Sheffield
- Spearman Medal of the British Psychological Society for distinguished research
- Presidents’ Award of the British Psychological Society for outstanding contributions to psychological knowledge
- Chartered Psychologist
- Honorary Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- Fellow of the International Association of Applied Psychology
- Fellow of the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Foreign Affiliate of the American Psychological Association
Some Recent Publications
Recent illustrations and clickable links to their content are:
Warr, P. B. (2017). Happiness and mental health: A framework of vitamins in the environment and mental processes in the person. In J. C. Quick and C. L. Cooper (Eds.), Handbook of stress and health: A guide to research and practice (pp. 57-74). London and New York: Wiley.
Warr, P. B. (2015). Are age and happiness related? The Conversation, https://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-are-age-and-unhappiness-related-49182
Warr, P. B. (2013) Jobs and job-holders: Two sources of happiness and unhappiness. In S. A. David, I.Boniwell, and A. C. Ayers (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Happiness (pp.733-750). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Warr, P. B. (2013). How to think about and measure psychological well-being. In R. R. Sinclair, M. Wang, and L. E. Tetrick (eds.), Research Methods in Occupational Health Psychology (pp. 76-90). New York and London: Routledge.
Warr, P. and Clapperton, G. (2009). The Joy of Work? Jobs, Happiness, and You. London: Routledge.
Warr, P. (2009). Environmental “vitamins”, personal judgments, work values, and happiness. Pages 57-85 in S. Cartwright and C. Cooper (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Organizational Well-being (Oxford: Oxford University Press).
Warr, P. B. (2008). Work values: Some demographc and cultural correlates. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 81, 751-775.
Warr, P. B. (2007). Work, Happiness, and Unhappiness. New York: Routledge.
Warr, P. B. (2006). Differential activation of judgments in employee well-being. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 79, 225-244.
Birdi, K.S., Warr, P.B. & Oswald, A.J. (1995). Age differences in three components of employee well-being. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 44(4), 345-373.