Stephenson and Blake fonts download
The Stephenson serif font is a modified version of a design by Sheffield company Stephenson & Blake Co. Typefounders, established in 1818. At the height of Sheffield's power as a producer of steel, Stephenson & Blake was the world´s largest manufacturer of metal type.
Sir Henry Stephenson, co-owner, was one of the University's founding fathers. In 1895, he became part of a hugely important movement that saw the wealthy and the powerful join forces with the ordinary working people of the city to create a university for the good
Stephenson and its sans serif companion Blake, were chosen with the assistance of the National Type Museum in London and redrawn for us by renowned type experts House Style Graphics. In their modernised, digitised form, they are the copyright property of the University of Sheffield - our unique signature, our hallmark, our stamp.
(zip file, 293KB)
These fonts are the copyright property of the University of Sheffield and are solely for use in University documents, publications, presentations and displays.
- Other file versions are available from the design team, but you will need to provide a detailed description of why the standard versions don't meet your requirements.
- In standard applications, such as Microsoft Word and PowerPoint, the new fonts can replace any existing fonts you routinely use on your computer, such as Times and Arial.
- You can replace any serif font (eg. Times or Courier) you may currently use with Stephenson and any sans serif (eg. Arial or Helvetica) with Blake.
- PC users (Microsoft) will only see each font appear once in the font selection list (as TUOS Blake and TUOS Stephenson). Highlighting text and clicking the 'bold' or 'italic' buttons will automatically display the correct font.
Note: Do not try to italicise bold text or set italics in bold. This will cause the font to display incorrectly. To highlight and emphasise text, you may use the true italic or bold versions of the fonts, increase the point size, or colour the text.
- By downloading these fonts you are deemed to have read and accepted the University's terms and conditions of use.
|Terms and conditions||
© The University of Sheffield 2018
The Stephenson and Blake fonts are available for download to University of Sheffield staff strictly on the following terms:
|Help installing the fonts||
Managed desktop PCs
All managed desktop PCs will have the University fonts pre-installed.
Unmanaged desktop PCs
Mac users (OSX)
|University fonts: Non-aligning numbers||