Testing and consultancy services
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering has considerable expertise in materials science, spanning traditional materials such as metal alloys and nuclear materials, advanced ceramic, magnetic, and functional materials and devices, and biomaterials and polymers. The Department also has expertise in surface and Nano-engineering,
Centres of Excellence (searchable on our website) include :
- Immobilisation Science Laboratory
- Institute for Microstructural & Mechanical Engineering: The University of Sheffield (IMMPETUS)
- Mercury Centre for Innovative Materials & Manufacturing
- Centre for Advanced Magnetic Materials & Devices
- Ceramics & Composites Laboratory
- Leonardo Centre for Tribology and Surface Technology
- Sorby Centre for Electron Microscopy
We can offer a suite of electron microscopy, chemical analysis, mechanical testing, and material fabrication facilities, operated by experienced technicians under the guidance of world experts in materials science & engineering. Our research facilities attract a variety of world-leading industry partners, and we are in a position to offer formal consultations, general advice, or to engage in long term collaborations.
To ascertain the most relevant research group to address your enquiry within the department, please complete the short form below. Alternatively, an email address and telephone number are provided below if you wish to have an informal discussion.
Please submit completed form or email Dr. Neil Lowrie or call 0114 222 5506 to discuss