Dr Dikai Guan
BEng, MEng, PhD
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
UKRI Future Leaders Fellow
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Dr Dikai Guan joined the Henry Royce Institute, Sheffield in July 2019. He completed his PhD at the University of Sheffield in November 2015 and focused on magnesium research area as a postdoc in Sheffield from 2015. His current role involves the operation and research competencies for materials characterisation using the JSM-7900F SEM/EBSD/EDX and another JXA-8530F Electron Probe Microanalyzer (EPMA).
07/2019- 06/2020 Henry Royce Institute Experimental Officer, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield
05/2015- 07/2019 Postdoctoral Research Associate in Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield
10/2011- 11/2015 PhD, the University of Sheffield, UK
09/2008- 06/2011 M. Eng. Central South University, China
09/2004-06/2008 B. Eng. Central South University, China
- Research interests
My research interests are to develop novel high performance light alloys (e.g., Mg, Al, Ti) and novel characterisation methods for several industrial sectors where light weighting is urgently required.
- Design alloys containing low-cost alloying elements only with high potential of high performance, reducing reliance on strategic metals and minimising waste in metal production.
- Develop 2-3 novel less-challenging severe plastic deformation (SPD) techniques integrated with multi-scale materials modelling to reduce grain size of light alloys
- Design simple section methods to acquire large volume of 3D microstructure information.
- Fabrication of textured (Hf0.2Zr0.2Ta0.2Cr0.2Ti0.2)B2 high-entropy ceramics. Journal of the European Ceramic Society.
- Tribological behaviour of self-lubricating Mg matrix composites reinforced with silicon carbide and tungsten disulfide. Tribology International, 146. View this article in WRRO
- In-situ Ti-6Al-4V/TiC composites synthesized by reactive spark plasma sintering : processing, microstructure, and dry sliding wear behaviour. Wear, 432-433. View this article in WRRO
- Basal slip mediated tension twin variant selection in magnesium WE43 alloy. Acta Materialia, 170, 1-14. View this article in WRRO
- Exploring the mechanism of “Rare Earth” texture evolution in a lean Mg–Zn–Ca alloy. Scientific Reports, 9. View this article in WRRO
- ω phase strengthened 1.2GPa metastable β titanium alloy with high ductility. Scripta Materialia, 162, 77-81.
- Effect of deformation twinning on crystallographic texture evolution in a Mg–6.6Zn–0.2Ca (ZX70) alloy during recrystallisation. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 774, 556-564. View this article in WRRO
- Enhancing ductility and strength of nanostructured Mg alloy by in-situ powder casting during spark plasma sintering. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 769, 71-77. View this article in WRRO
- Deformation mechanisms in a metastable beta titanium twinning induced plasticity alloy with high yield strength and high strain hardening rate. Acta Materialia, 152, 301-314. View this article in WRRO
- Segregation mediated heterogeneous structure in a metastable β titanium alloy with a superior combination of strength and ductility. Scientific Reports, 8. View this article in WRRO
- Individual effect of recrystallisation nucleation sites on texture weakening in a magnesium alloy: Part 2-shear bands. ACTA MATERIALIA, 145, 399-412. View this article in WRRO
- Individual effect of recrystallisation nucleation sites on texture weakening in a magnesium alloy: Part 2- shear bands. Acta Materialia. View this article in WRRO
- Direct observation of precipitation along twin boundaries and dissolution in a magnesium alloy annealing at high temperature. Scripta Materialia, 138, 39-43. View this article in WRRO
- Individual effect of recrystallisation nucleation sites on texture weakening in a magnesium alloy: Part 1- double twins. Acta Materialia, 135, 14-24. View this article in WRRO
- Twin recrystallization mechanisms and exceptional contribution to texture evolution during annealing in a magnesium alloy. Acta Materialia, 126, 132-144. View this article in WRRO
- On the use of cryomilling and spark plasma sintering to achieve high strength in a magnesium alloy. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 688, 1141-1150. View this article in WRRO
- New compositional design for creating tough metallic glass composites with excellent work hardening. Acta Materialia, 86, 208-215. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of pass deformation on microstructure, corrosion and electrochemical properties of aluminum alloy anodes for alkaline aluminum fuel cell applications. Metals and Materials International, 19(3), 555-561.
- Effects of Er on microstructure and corrosion properties of Mg-Nd-Zn-Zr alloy. Zhongnan Daxue Xuebao (Ziran Kexue Ban)/Journal of Central South University (Science and Technology), 43(12), 4646-4651.
- Fabrication of nano-structured super-hydrophobic film on aluminum by controllable immersing method. Applied Surface Science, 258(16), 5933-5937.
- Effect of TiO2addition on the crystallization of quenched glasses in the SiO2–Al2O3–ZrO2system. Phase Transitions, 84(11-12), 1035-1044.
- Effect of TiO2 addition on zirconia-mullite composites fabricated by in-situ controlled crystallization of Si-Al-Zr-O amorphous bulk. Journal of Central South University, 18(5), 1321-1325.
- The relation between heat treatment and corrosion behavior of Mg–Gd–Y–Zr alloy. Materials & Design, 32(3), 1194-1199.
- Effect of pass deformation in hot rolling on microstructure and electrochemical performances of Al alloy anodes. Zhongnan Daxue Xuebao (Ziran Kexue Ban)/Journal of Central South University (Science and Technology), 42(2), 323-328.
- Precipitation and its effect on age-hardening behavior of as-cast Mg–Gd–Y alloy. Materials & Design, 32(1), 361-364.
- Effect of isothermal aging on the microstructure and properties of as-cast Mg–Gd–Y–Zr alloy. Materials Science and Engineering: A, 528(3), 1589-1595.
- Effect of rolling temperature on microstructure and performances of Al-Mg-Sn-Bi-Ga-In alloy anode. Journal of the Chinese Society of Corrosion and Protection, 30(4), 295-299.
- Effect of rolling temperature and pass deformation on Al anode Al-Mg-Sn-Bi-Ga-In performances. Zhongnan Daxue Xuebao (Ziran Kexue Ban)/Journal of Central South University (Science and Technology), 41(3), 906-911.
- Effect of rolling processing on microstructure and electrochemical properties of high active aluminum alloy anode. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, 20(6), 942-949.
- Effect of annealing on performance of Al alloy anodes prepared by different rolling technologies. Corrosion and Protection, 31(3).
- Effect of rolling process and mixed rare earth on electrochemical performance of Al alloy anodes. Corrosion and Protection, 31(1), 24-28.
- Effect of nano-segregation phases on electrochemical property of high active Al alloy anode. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 188, 012022-012022.
- Effect of solution treatment on microstructure and properties of 7B04 aluminum alloy. Cailiao Rechuli Xuebao/Transactions of Materials and Heat Treatment, 28(3), 72-76.
Conference proceedings papers
- Professional activities
Scientific Organiser of Royal Microscopical Society (RMS) EBSD 2020
Organiser of Royce@Sheffield Electron Microscope Research Kit Workshop
Organising Committee of MATERIALS SCIENCE – 2020, Milan, Italy