Dr Deepak Unune
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Deepak worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical-Mechatronics Engineering at The LNM Institute of Technology, Jaipur (India) from 2016 to 2019, researching in advanced machining processes and advanced welding processes.
He gained his PhD at Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur, India in 2016. His work was based on a relatively new field of hybrid machining processes for fabrication of micro-features in difficult-to-cut Inconel718 superalloy. The research explored several hybrid-electric discharge machining processes for fabrication of common micro-features like micro-surfaces, micro-holes, micro-channels, etc. While doing so, he experimentally demonstrated the benefits of hybridisation of different mechanism/processes in enhancing the process performance.
Teaching has been Deepak’s prime interest - he enjoys teaching and interacting with students taking subjects including Manufacturing Processes, Unconventional Machining Processes, Production Management, Operations Research, Computer-Aided Manufacturing, etc. He has 8+ years of teaching and research experience and 30+ research publications in peer-reviewed Journals and Conferences.
- Research interests
Deepak's current project work explores the application of electrical discharge machining process for enhanced osseointegration and antibacterial capabilities of β-phase Titanium Implant. This project is funded by under H2020-EU.1.3.2 with Overall budget €224 933,76. This is a multidisciplinary work and being supervised by experts: Dr Gwendolen Reilly, Dr Frederik Claeyssens, Professor Russell Goodall, and Dr Joanna Shepherd.
- Micro-machining processes
- Electro discharge machining (EDM)
- Hybrid machining processes
- Advanced machining processes
- Advanced finishing processes
- Investigating a novel Ag/ZnO based hybrid nanofluid for sustainable machining of inconel 718 under nanofluid based minimum quantity lubrication. Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 66, 313-324.
- Modeling and Nonlinear Control of a Two-Wheeled Self Balancing Human Transporter. Journal of Applied Nonlinear Dynamics, 10(1), 29-45.
- Response surface methodology and artificial neural network-based models for predicting performance of wire electrical discharge machining of inconel 718 alloy. Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing, 4(2). View this article in WRRO
- Performance investigation of integrated model of quarter car semi-active seat suspension with human model. Applied Sciences, 10(9). View this article in WRRO
- Performance comparison of dry, flood and vegetable oil based minimum quantity lubrication environments during CNC milling of Aluminium 6061. Materials Today: Proceedings, 21, 1483-1488.
- Correction to: Mathematical modeling and intelligent optimization of submerged arc welding process parameters using hybrid PSO-GA evolutionary algorithms. Neural Computing and Applications, 32(15), 11961-11961.
- Mathematical modeling and intelligent optimization of submerged arc welding process parameters using hybrid PSO-GA evolutionary algorithms. Neural Computing and Applications, 32(10), 5761-5774.
- Influence of novel water cooled ASAW process on chemical composition and impact toughness of AISI 1023 weld metal. Construction and Building Materials, 228, 116725-116725.
- Evaluation of copper-based alloy (C93200) composites reinforced with marble dust developed by stir casting under vacuum environment. Materials, 12(10). View this article in WRRO
- Accuracy and quality of micro-holes in vibration assisted micro-electro-discharge drilling of Inconel 718. Measurement, 135, 424-437.
- Experimental investigation and optimization of weld bead characteristics during submerged arc welding of AISI 1023 steel. Defence Technology, 15(1), 72-82.
- Experimental investigation on low-frequency vibration-assisted µ-ED milling of Inconel 718. Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 33(9), 964-976.
- Parametric modeling and optimization of novel water-cooled advanced submerged arc welding process. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 97(1-4), 927-938.
- ANN-NSGA-II dual approach for modeling and optimization in abrasive mixed electro discharge diamond grinding of Monel K-500. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, 21(3), 322-329.
- Investigating effects of resistance wire heating on AISI 1023 weldment characteristics during ASAW. Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 33(7), 759-769.
- Fuzzy logic-based model for predicting material removal rate and average surface roughness of machined Nimonic 80A using abrasive-mixed electro-discharge diamond surface grinding. Neural Computing and Applications, 29(9), 647-662.
- Parametric modeling and optimization for abrasive mixed surface electro discharge diamond grinding of Inconel 718 using response surface methodology. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 93(9-12), 3859-3872.
- Virtual Signal-Based Pulse Discrimination in Micro-Electro-Discharge Machining. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 139(9).
- Experimental investigation on low-frequency vibration assisted micro-WEDM of Inconel 718. Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal, 20(1), 222-231.
- An investigation on effects of amputee’s physiological parameters on maximum pressure developed at the prosthetic socket interface using artificial neural network. Technology and Health Care, 25(5), 969-979.
- Artificial neural network–based and response surface methodology–based predictive models for material removal rate and surface roughness during electro-discharge diamond grinding of Inconel 718. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 230(11), 2082-2091.
- Experimental Investigations of Abrasive Mixed Electro Discharge Diamond Grinding of Nimonic 80A. Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 31(13), 1718-1723.
- Design and Fabrication of a Strain Gauge Type 3-axis Milling Tool Dynamometer. International Journal of Materials Forming and Machining Processes, 3(2), 1-15.
- A study of multiobjective parametric optimisation of electric discharge diamond cut-off grinding of Inconel 718. International Journal of Abrasive Technology, 7(3), 187-187.
- Current status and applications of hybrid micro-machining processes: A review. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 229(10), 1681-1693.
- Modelling, simulation and validation of results with different car models using wind tunnel and Star-CCM+. Journal of Serbian Society for Computational Mechanics, 9(1), 46-56.
- Application of Taguchi Method for Determining Optimum Process Parameters of PMEDM with SiC Powder Suspended in Dielectric. i-manager's Journal on Material Science, 1(3), 37-42.
- Statistical and Regression Analysis of Vibration of Carbon Steel Cutting Tool for Turning of EN24 Steel Using Design of Experiments. International Journal of Recent advances in Mechanical Engineering, 3(3), 137-151.
- Dimensional accuracy and surface quality of micro-channels with low-frequency vibration assistance in micro-electro-discharge milling. Advances in Materials and Processing Technologies, 1-12.
- Selection of Process Parameters and Their Machine Levels for Electro-discharge Face Grinding of D2 Steel, Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering (pp. 563-569). Springer Singapore
- Evaluating the Effect of an Amputee’s Physical Parameters of Pressure on a Lower-Limb Prosthetic Socket Using a Fuzzy-Logic-Based Model, Applied Mechatronics and Mechanics (pp. 167-189). Apple Academic Press
- Selection of Molybdenum-Filled Hip Implant Material Using Grey Relational Analysis Method, Handbook of Research on Emergent Applications of Optimization Algorithms (pp. 675-692). IGI Global
- A Multiobjective Genetic-Algorithm-Based Optimization of Micro-Electrical Discharge Drilling, Handbook of Research on Emergent Applications of Optimization Algorithms (pp. 728-749). IGI Global
- Machinability of Nickel-Based Superalloys: An Overview, Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering Elsevier
Conference proceedings papers