Dr Theodore Hanein
PhD, MSc, BSc
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Research Associate (PDRA) in Materials Chemistry
+44 114 222 5464
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Theo joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in 2016 as a Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA) in Materials Chemistry, working with Dr Hajime Kinoshita and Professor John Provis.
His work currently focuses on smart, green, and circular material solutions and processes.
- May 2016 – current: Research associate (post-doc) in materials chemistry, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield, UK.
- October 2012 – November 2016: PhD researcher, School of Engineering, University of Aberdeen, UK. Thesis: “Development of a novel calcium sulfoaluminate cement production process”.
- September 2011 – September 2012: MSc in Refinery Design and Opertion (Advanced process design), School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science, University of Manchester, UK.
- September 2005 – July 2011: BSc in Chemical Engineering, University of Balamand, Lebanon.
- September 2005 – July 2010: BSc in Chemistry, University of Balamand, Lebanon.
- PhD Chemical Engineering (Cement Technology)
- MSc Advanced Process Design and Integration (Refinery Design and Operation)
- BSc Chemical Engineering
- BSc Chemistry
- Research interests
Theo’s main research interest is in reducing the energy consumption and carbon footprint associated with the manufacture of cement (the building material). His research areas include:
- Cement formulation
- Clinker production
- Concrete technology
- Computational thermodynamics
- Molten salts chemistry
- Materials characterization
- Alkaline water technology
- Process design, optimization, and scale-up
- Advanced selective dissolution
- Heat transfer in rotary kilns
Current research projects
- Low temperature decarbonisation of limestone
- Thermodynamics of cement clinkering
- Production of calcium sulfoaluminate cement from industrial side streams
- Acceleration of M-S-H cement formation for the encapsulation of nuclear waste and stabilisation of heavy metals
- Production of cement clinkers containing Cl, Mg, and S
- Recycling concrete from destroyed and decommissioned buildings
- Production of the various calcium carbonate polymorphs from limestone rock
- Low energy alternative to the Solvay process for Na2CO3 manufacture
- Producing cement clinker assemblages in the system : CaO-SiO2-Al2O3-SO3-CaCl2-MgO. Cement and Concrete Research, 144.
- Pyro processing cement kiln bypass dust : enhancing clinker phase formation. Construction and Building Materials, 259.
- Estimation of standard molar entropy of cement hydrates and clinker minerals. Cement and Concrete Research, 136. View this article in WRRO
- Thermodynamic data for cement clinkering. Cement and Concrete Research, 132. View this article in WRRO
- Production and properties of ferrite-rich CSAB cement from metallurgical industry residues. Science of the Total Environment, 712. View this article in WRRO
- Alite calcium sulfoaluminate cement: chemistry and thermodynamics. Advances in Cement Research, 31(3), 94-105. View this article in WRRO
- Carbon footprint of calcium sulfoaluminate clinker production. Journal of Cleaner Production, 172, 2278-2287. View this article in WRRO
- Pilot scale production of novel calcium sulfoaluminate cement clinkers and development of thermal model. Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 122, 68-75.
- Advances in clinkering technology of calcium sulfoaluminate cement. Advances in Cement Research, 29(10), 405-417. View this article in WRRO
- Enthalpy of formation of ye’elimite and ternesite. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry. View this article in WRRO
- Stability of ternesite and the production at scale of ternesite-based clinkers. Cement and Concrete Research, 98, 91-100. View this article in WRRO
- One-dimensional steady-state thermal model for rotary kilns used in the manufacture of cement. Advances in Applied Ceramics, 116(4), 207-215. View this article in WRRO
- Phase Compatibility in the System CaO–SiO₂–Al₂O₃–SO₃–FE₂O₃ and the Effect of Partial Pressure on the Phase Stability. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 56(9), 2341-2349. View this article in WRRO
- Production of belite calcium sulfoaluminate cement using sulfur as a fuel and as a source of clinker sulfur trioxide: pilot kiln trial. Advances in Cement Research, 28(10), 643-653. View this article in WRRO
- Activity of Highly Dispersed Co/SBA-15 Catalysts (Low Content) in Carbon Black Oxidation. Physics Procedia, 55, 231-236.
Conference proceedings papers
- On cement clinker assemblages containing alinite, calcium sulfoaluminate and calcium aluminates. LowC3 2020. University of Kentucky, Centre for Applied Energy Research, 5 October 2020 - 6 October 2020.
- View this article in WRRO Continuous production of alinite in a laboratory-scale rotary kiln. 40th CCSC. Sheffield, 31 August 2020 - 4 September 2020.
- View this article in WRRO Interaction of Na2CO3 and Ca(OH)2 in aqueous system for mild activation of clay materials. 40th CCSC. Sheffield, 31 August 2020 - 4 September 2020.
- View this article in WRRO The effect of sodium carbonate on the formation of magnesium silicate hydrate. 40th CCSC, 31 August 2020 - 4 September 2020.
- Production of M-S-H cement using talc mine tailings as a source of magnesia. 4oth CCSC Sheffield
- View this article in WRRO Acceleration of M-S-H gel formation through the addition of alkali carbonates. Proceedings of the 15th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement
- View this article in WRRO Interaction of strontium chloride solution with calcium aluminate phosphate (CAP) system. 39th Cement and Concrete Science Conference 2019 Proceedings (pp 135-137). Bath, UK, 9 September 2019 - 10 September 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Alternative raw materials for the production of calcium sulfoaluminate cement: ladle slag and phosphogypsum. Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Innovation in Low-Carbon Cement & Concrete Technology. London, 24 June 2019 - 26 June 2019.
- View this article in WRRO On the Sustainable Development of Cement. YRF-IV, 9 April 2018 - 9 April 2018.
- View this article in WRRO Molten salt synthesis of compounds related to cement. Concrete for the Modern Age: Developments in materials and processes (pp 286-297), 20 November 2017 - 22 November 2017.
- Prospects for manufacturing cement compounds in molten salt fluxed systems. 37th Cement and Concrete Science Conference, 11 September 2017 - 12 September 2017.
- Validation of a one-dimensional kiln heat transfer model against a pilot kiln. 37th Cement and Concrete Science Conference, 11 September 2017 - 12 September 2017.
- Optimising calcium sulfoaluminate cements. 37th Cement and Concrete Science Conference, 11 September 2017 - 12 September 2017.
- Lowering the carbon footprint and energy consumption of cement production: A novel Calcium SulfoAluminate cement production process. 1st International Conference on Grand Challenges in Construction Materials, 17 March 2016 - 18 March 2016.
- 1D thermal model of rotary kilns used in cement production. 35th Cement and Concrete Science Conference, 26 August 2015 - 28 August 2015.
- Thermodynamic data of ye’elimite (C4A3$ ) for cement clinker equilibrium calculations. 35th Cement and Concrete Science Conference, 26 August 2015 - 28 August 2015.