Centre for Doctoral Training in Advanced Metallic Systems
The EPSRC and SFI Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Advanced Metallic Systems is a partnership between three internationally recognised Centres of Excellence in metallic materials and manufacturing: The Universities of Sheffield and Manchester in the United Kingdom and the I-Form Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre based in Ireland.
The Advanced Metallic Systems CDT was established in 2009 with a £6.3M investment from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) with a further £3.2M awarded in 2014. In this period (2009-2018) the Centre was hosted jointly by the Universities of Sheffield and Manchester building on their international reputation in metallic materials science and engineering research. In 2019 a further £5.4M was awarded by the EPSRC in combination with a €4M award from Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) to support I-Form, the SFI Research Centre for Advanced Manufacturing, joining the partnership.
The aim of the AMS CDT are:
- To provide a stimulating multidisciplinary training experience
- To teach topical courses that balance cutting edge technologies with fundamental principles and core concepts
- To develop professional transferable skills in leadership, business and research management
- To foster innovative, internationally leading research
- To work in partnership with industry to provide industrial experience and maintain relevance
To find out more about opportunities with the AMS CDT, visit the website: www.metallicscdt.co.uk
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.