PhD Grant scheme for the 74th Annual RILEM Week in Sheffield
This grant aims to support young researchers working in lower- and middle-income countries, who otherwise may not be able to attend the RILEM Annual Week.
Application for the grant is open to PhD students or recently graduated (after 1st January 2019) PhDs who are:
- under the age of 35;
- residing in any of the countries where a special discount RILEM membership fee is applicable. Please refer to the RILEM webpage for a complete list of these countries.
- who are presenting an accepted abstract at the conference.
This call offers eight (8) grants.
The winners will be asked to write an extended abstract and will be asked to present their work as an oral presentation at the conference.
Winners will be offered the following by RILEM:
- A lump sum of up to €1500, to cover travel costs to the location of the 74th RILEM Annual Week, Sheffiled – UK, and subsistence costs to participate in the event;
- Registration at the conference, including the gala dinner and all social events;
- 3-year RILEM membership;
- the opportunity to have a highlighted presentation during a conference session;
- the opportunity to have a formal meeting and photographs with the RILEM presidency at the conference.
Winners will be announced and briefly presented at the gala event (banquet dinner) of the conference.
The winners will be selected by an international jury on the basis of:
- the technical quality of the abstract submitted;
- a one-page supporting statement to be prepared and submitted by the applicant, explaining how the RILEM PhD Grant will enhance their career development and prospects, including future participation in RILEM activities;
- the ambition of RILEM to support equality, diversity and inclusion in terms of personal characteristics, geographical distribution of awardees, and research subject areas within the RILEM fields of interest.
Applicants should first submit their abstract via the standard route (by email to RILEM2020@Sheffield.ac.uk), and will receive an abstract reference number by return email. This needs to be completed before the conference abstract submission deadline. Once the abstract reference number is assigned, the applicants must email again to RILEM2020@Sheffield.ac.uk, before 1 March 2020, with the following information:
Subject line: RILEM PhD Grant Application – [name of applicant] – Abstract ID #[abstract reference]
Attached: i) one-page personal statement (PDF or DOCX formats), ii) abstract as submitted and iii) a supporting letter from the PhD supervisor for PhD students, OR a certificate that indicates the date on which the PhD degree was awarded, for recently graduated PhDs.
Awardees will be notified as promptly as possible, leaving sufficient time before the RILEM Annual Week to allow organisation of the necessary visa to visit the UK, and the planning of the journey to Sheffield.