Dr Vanessa Hearnden
Lecturer in Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 215 7098
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
Address: Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Kroto Research Institute, University of Sheffield, Broad Lane, Sheffield, S3 7HQ
Vanessa Hearnden joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering in 2015 as Lecturer in Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering. Vanessa’s undergraduate degree was in Biomedical Science; she then obtained her PhD in Tissue Engineering from the University of Sheffield in 2011. Dr Hearnden previously worked as a post doc in the Medical School and School of Clinical Dentistry where she gained experience of both lab based studies and clinical research.
Dr Hearnden is currently chair of the White Rose Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Group (BiTEG) and on the committee for the Tissue and Cell Engineering Society (TCES).
Dr Hearnden’s research focuses on tissue engineering as a tool to both understand the fundamentals of disease processes and to develop novel diagnostic and treatment strategies. With expertise in primary cell biology and three dimensional cell biology Dr Hearnden’s work focuses on developing regenerative medicine strategies to improve soft tissue wound healing.
Dr Hearnden is Course Director for the MEng Biomaterials Science and Engineering degree and teaches on the following degree courses:
She teaches on modules including: "Tissue structure and function", "The Biology and Chemistry of Living Systems" and "Tissue Engineering Approaches to Failure in Living Systems". Dr Hearnden also delivers sessions in which students develop transferable skills such as scientific writing, statistics and ethical decision making. Dr Hearnden is a personal tutor for Bioengineering students in all years.
- Postulkova H, Nedomova E, Hearnden V, Holland C & Vojtova L (2019) Hybrid hydrogels based on polysaccharide gum karaya, poly(vinyl alcohol) and silk fibroin. Materials Research Express, 6(3). View this article in WRRO
- Babrnáková J, Pavliňáková V, Brtníková J, Sedláček P, Prosecká E, Rampichová M, Filová E, Hearnden V & Vojtová L (2019) Synergistic effect of bovine platelet lysate and various polysaccharides on the biological properties of collagen-based scaffolds for tissue engineering: Scaffold preparation, chemo-physical characterization, in vitro and ex ovo evaluation. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 100, 236-246.
- Hearnden V, Murdoch C, D'Apice K, Duthie S, Hayward NJ & Powers HJ (2018) Oral human papillomavirus infection in England and associated risk factors: a case-control study.. BMJ Open, 8(8). View this article in WRRO
- Hearnden V, Powers HJ, Elmogassabi A, Lowe R & Murdoch C (2018) Methyl-donor depletion of head and neck cancer cells in vitro establishes a less aggressive tumour cell phenotype. European Journal of Nutrition, 57(4), 1321-1332. View this article in WRRO
- Grayson A , Hearnden VL, Bolt R, Jebreel A, Colley HE & Murdoch C (2018) Use of a Rho kinase inhibitor to increase human tonsil keratinocyte longevity for three-dimensional, tissue engineered tonsil epithelium equivalents. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 12(3), e1636-e1646. View this article in WRRO
- Boadi J, Fernandes J, Mittar S, Hearnden V, Lu Z, MacNeil S, Thornhill MH, Murdoch C, Hunter KD & Matcher SJ (2015) Imaging of 3D Tissue-Engineered Models of Oral Cancer Using 890 and 1300 nm Optical Coherence Tomography. Sovremennye tehnologii v medicine, 7(1), 60-68. View this article in WRRO
- Murdoch C, D'Apice K, Brown B, Hearnden V, Speight P, Hegarty A, Healey J, Highfield P, Tidy J & Thornhill M (2014) Use of electrical impedance spectroscopy to detect malignant and potentially malignant oral lesions. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 9, 4521-4521. View this article in WRRO
- Colley HE, Hearnden V, Avila-Olias M, Cecchin D, Canton I, Madsen J, MacNeil S, Warren N, Hu K, McKeating JA , Armes SP et al (2014) Polymersome-mediated delivery of combination anticancer therapy to head and neck cancer cells: 2D and 3D in vitro evaluation.. Mol Pharm, 11(4), 1176-1188.
- Sorrell I, Shipley RJ, Hearnden V, Colley HE, Thornhill MH, Murdoch C & Webb SD (2014) Combined mathematical modelling and experimentation to predict polymersome uptake by oral cancer cells. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology, and Medicine, 10(2), 339-348. View this article in WRRO
- Murdoch C, Speight PM, D'Apice K, Hearnden V, Hegarty A, Tidy J, Healey J, Brown B & Thornhill MH (2013) Use of Impedance Spectroscopy to Detect Potentially Malignant Oral Lesions. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, 116(3), e201-e201.
- Moharamzadeh K, Colley H, Murdoch C, Hearnden V, Chai WL, Brook IM, Thornhill MH & Macneil S (2012) Tissue-engineered oral mucosa.. J Dent Res, 91(7), 642-650.
- Hearnden V, Sankar V, Hull K, Juras DV, Greenberg M, Kerr AR, Lockhart PB, Patton LL, Porter S & Thornhill MH (2012) New developments and opportunities in oral mucosal drug delivery for local and systemic disease. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 64(1), 16-28.
- Smith LE, Hearnden V, Lu Z, Smallwood R, Hunter KD, Matcher SJ, Thornhill MH, Murdoch C & MacNeil S (2011) Evaluating the use of optical coherence tomography for the detection of epithelial cancers in vitro.. J Biomed Opt, 16(11), 116015. View this article in WRRO
- Sankar V, Hearnden V, Hull K, Juras DV, Greenberg MS, Kerr AR, Lockhart PB, Patton LL, Porter S & Thornhill M (2011) Local drug delivery for oral mucosal diseases: challenges and opportunities.. Oral Dis, 17 Suppl 1, 73-84.
- Colley HE, Hearnden V, Jones AV, Weinreb PH, Violette SM, MacNeil S, Thornhill MH & Murdoch C (2011) Development of tissue-engineered models of oral dysplasia and early invasive oral squamous cell carcinoma. British Journal of Cancer, 105(10), 1582-1592. View this article in WRRO
- Murdoch C, Reeves KJ, Hearnden V, Colley H, Massignani M, Canton I, Madsen J, Blanazs A, Armes SP, Lewis AL , Macneil S et al (2010) Internalization and biodistribution of polymersomes into oral squamous cell carcinoma cells in vitro and in vivo.. Nanomedicine (Lond), 5(7), 1025-1036.
- Massignani M, Canton I, Sun T, Hearnden V, Macneil S, Blanazs A, Armes SP, Lewis A & Battaglia G (2010) Enhanced fluorescence imaging of live cells by effective cytosolic delivery of probes.. PLoS One, 5(5), e10459. View this article in WRRO
- Picard C, Hearnden V, Massignani M, Achouri S, Battaglia G, MacNeil S & Donald A (2010) A micro-incubator for cell and tissue imaging. BioTechniques, 48(2), 135-138.
- Hearnden V, Lomas H, Macneil S, Thornhill M, Murdoch C, Lewis A, Madsen J, Blanazs A, Armes S & Battaglia G (2009) Diffusion studies of nanometer polymersomes across tissue engineered human oral mucosa.. Pharm Res, 26(7), 1718-1728.
- Moharamzadeh K, Colley H, Hearnden V & Murdoch C (2017) Tissue-engineered models of oral soft tissue diseases, Biomaterials for Oral and Dental Tissue Engineering (pp. 245-255). Elsevier
- Akbari Z, Almeida L, Almela T, Amdjadi P, Amrollahi P, Ansari S, Bader R, Baghaban Eslaminejad M, Bardsley K, Bencharit S , Bindal P et al (2017) List of contributors, Biomaterials for Oral and Dental Tissue Engineering (pp. xiii-xvii). Elsevier
- Hearnden V, MacNeil S & Battaglia G (2011) Tracking nanoparticles in three-dimensional tissue-engineered models using confocal laser scanning microscopy. (pp. 41-51).
Conference proceedings papers
- Roman S, Mangir N & Hearnden V (2016) Angiogenic potential of adipose derived stem cells compared to the stromal vascular fraction. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 32(Supp 4) (pp 40-40) View this article in WRRO
- Grayson A, Hearnden VL, Colley H, Bolt R, Jabreel A & Murdoch C (2016) Isolation and immortalisation of tonsillar keratinocytes for three-dimensional tissue engineered tonsil mucosal models. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 31(Suppl 1) (pp 20-20), 28 June 2016 - 1 July 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Boadi J, Byers RA, Fernandes J, Mittar S, Hearnden V, Lu Z, MacNeil S, Thornhill M, Murdoch C, Hunter KD , McKechnie A et al (2016) 1300 nm and 890 nm OCT images of oral cancer tissue engineered models and biopsy samples offer complimentary performance (Conference Presentation). Photonic Therapeutics and Diagnostics XII, 13 February 2016 - 18 February 2016.
- Murdoch C, Thornhill MH, Fang H-Y, Hearnden V & Colley HE (2012) CXCL12/CXCR4 axis mediates recruitment of monocytes to oral cancer spheroids. ORAL DISEASES, Vol. 18 (pp 8-8)
- Colley HE, Hearnden V, Wayakanon K, Cecchin D, Armes S, Battaglia G, Murdoch C & Thornhill MH (2012) Tissue engineered models of oral disease for the study of a novel drug delivery system. ORAL DISEASES, Vol. 18 (pp 7-7)
- Colley HE, Hearnden V, Cecchin D, Armes S, Battaglia G, Murdoch C & Thornhill MH (2012) Polymersomes - a Novel Drug Delivery System for the Delivery of Chemotherapeutic Agents to Oral Cancer Cells. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER, Vol. 48 (pp S254-S254)
- Hearnden V, Rehman IU, MacNeil S, Murdoch C, Thornhill MH, Hunter K & Colley HE (2012) Investigation of Raman Spectroscopy and Optical Coherence Tomography to Aid in Diagnosis of Oral Cancer. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CANCER, Vol. 48 (pp S287-S287)
- Sorrell I, Webb SD, Shipley RJ, Hearnden VL, Colley HE & Murdoch C (2012) Abstract 4918: Modeling polymersome delivery of anticancer therapeutics. Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Colley HE, Hearnden V, Murdoch C, Armes S, Battaglia G & Thornhill MH (2010) Using polymersomes to deliver chemotherapeutic agents to oral cancer cells. ORAL DISEASES, Vol. 16(6) (pp 527-527)
- Hearnden V, Smith L, Colley H, Thornhill M, Murdoch C, Smallwood R, Matcher S & MacNeil S (2010) Using tissue-engineered oral cancer models to evaluate non-invasive diagnostic technologies. ORAL DIS, Vol. 16(6) (pp 518-518)
- Hearnden V, Battaglia G, MacNeil S, Murdoch C & Thornhill M (2009) Penetration of polymersome drug and gene delivery nanoparticles into in vitro models of head and neck cancer and tissue engineered oral mucosa. ORAL ONCOLOGY (pp 66-66)
- Hearnden V, Battaglia G, Murdoch C, Thornhill M & MacNeil S (2008) Imaging of polymersome penetration into 3D tissue engineered models of oral mucosa and head and neck cancer. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 16(SUPPL. 3) (pp 58)