Dr Hajime Kinoshita
BEng MEng DEng
Senior Lecturer in Materials Chemistry
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5930
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
Hajime Kinoshita joined the Immobilisation Science Laboratory (ISL) in 2005 after his postdoctoral experiences at Department of Chemistry, The University of Manchester and at Department of Nuclear Engineering, Osaka University where he also completed his postgraduate studies. He has been working on nuclear materials, especially in the area of nuclear fuels and waste management. Before coming to the UK, he has also conducted researches at Argonne National Laboratory and Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute in the related topics.
His interests are in the environmental-friendly applications of materials, his research programmes at ISL extend from nuclear waste management to CO2 storage. His researches focus on fabrication and characterisation of oxide-based materials to improve their capacity to host aiming compounds and the compatibility of the products to the environment. Based on thermodynamics, both experimental and computational techniques are used for the research.
- Low temperature synthesis of ceramics for nuclear waste immobilisation.
- CO2 storage in recycled cementitious waste materials using molten salt media.
- Electrochemical leaching of nuclear waste forms for prediction of long-term integrity, in collaboration with collaboration with Tokyo Institute of Technology.
Professional activities and recognition
- Member, Materials chemistry committee at the institute of materials, minerals and mining (2009 ~).
- Attended MRS2007, 31st International Symposium on the Scientific Basis for Nuclear Waste Management, Sheffield, UK (2007).
- Invited lecture “Thermodynamic modelling and material properties of actinide oxide solid solutions” at International Information Exchange Meeting on Thermodynamics of Nuclear Fuels at CEA Saclay, France entitled (2006).
- H. Kinoshita, “Development of ceramic matrices for high level radioactive wastes,” in Handbook of advanced radioactive waste conditioning technologies, Ed., M. I. Ojovan, Woodhead Publishing, UK (in press).
- H. Kinoshita, M. Brewer, C. E. Talbot-Eeckelaers, N. Reeves, R. Copping, C. A. Sharrad, I. May, “High temperature behaviour of polyoxometalates containing lanthanides,” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 1107 (2008) pp. 347-354.
- H. Kinoshita, P. H. R. Borges, C. A. Utton, N. B. Milestone, C. Lynsdale, “Investigation on the immobilisation of carbon in OPC-BFS and OPC-PFA systems,” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 1107 (2008) pp. 143-150.
- H. Kinoshita, K. Kuramoto, M. Uno, S. Yamanaka, H. Mitamura, T. Banba, “Mechanical integrity of yttria-stabilized zirconia doped with Np oxide,” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 932 (2006) pp. 647-654.
- H. Kinoshita, M. Uno, S. Yamanaka, W. E. Lee, “Molten ceramic solidification during molten state processing of HLW,” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 932 (2006) pp. 655-660.
- H. Kinoshita, C. A. Sharrad, I. May and R. G. Lewin, “The effect of Uranium on the Corrosion of Stainless Steel in High Temperature Molten Salts in the Presence of Moisture,” Recent Advances in Actinide Science, The Royal Society of Chemistry (2006) pp. 134-136.
- V. A. Volkovich, I. May, C. A. Sharrad, H. Kinoshita, I. B. Polovov, A. I. Bhatt, J. M. Charnock, T. R. Griffiths and R. G. Lewin, “Uranium Specification in Molten Salts from X-Ray Absorption and Electronic Absorption Spectroscopy Measurements,” Recent Advances in Actinide Science, The Royal Society of Chemistry (2006) pp. 485-490.
- C. A. Sharrad, I. May, H. Kinoshita, A. I. Bhatt, V. A. Volkovich, I. B. Polovov, J. M. Charnock and R. G. Lewin, “Spectroscopic Investigations of Uranium Species in Alkali Chloride Molten Salts,” Recent Advances in Actinide Science, The Royal Society of Chemistry (2006) pp. 794-796.
Dr C. A. Utton (thermodynamics of nuclear materials/cementitious materials)
P. Svora (visiting researcher 2010/Technical University in Brno, Czech Republic)
P. Swift (2nd yr PhD student/phosphate modified cement)
O. Hussein (1st yr PhD student/NORM immobilisation for oil industry)
S. Ounoughi (Erasmus student 2009-2010/INSA-Lyon, France)
N. Schreven (visiting student 2009/INSA-Lyon, France)
A. Vancostenoble (visiting student 2009/INSA-Lyon, France)
G. Marchand (visiting student 2008/INSA-Lyon, France)
B. Carro (visiting student 2008/ Public University of Navarra, Spain)
C. Circhirillo (visiting student 2007/INSA-Lyon, France)
I. SanMartin (visiting student 2007/Public University of Navarra, Spain)