Dr Ihtesham ur Rehman
BSc, MSc, PhD
Reader in Biomedical Material
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5946
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
Address: The Kroto Research Institute
North Campus, University of Sheffield, Broad Lane, Sheffield, S3 7HQ
Ihtesham ur Rehman was appointed as a Reader in Biomedical Materials in the Department of Materials Sciences and Engineering. He has BSc and MSc degrees in Chemistry and a Doctorate in Biomaterials from the Department of Materials, Queen Mary University of London (QMUL). After a long career at the Interdisciplinary Research Centre (IRC) in Biomedical Materials, QMUL, he joined the Department of Materials Sciences and Engineering in January 2011 and is part of the Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Group based within the Kroto Research Institute. Ihtesham is a recognised authority on spectroscopy of biomaterials and biological molecules.
Ihtesham is the Founder and Executive Director of Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Biomedical Materials (IRCBM), CIIT, Lahore, Pakistan and visiting professor at the King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia .
His personal highlights include:
- Invited to speak at the higher education and research forum held at Kings College London on the invitation of Qatar National Research Fund (January 2015)
- Keynote lecture: 4th International Symposium on Biomedical Materials: Translation and commercialisation, (December 2014)
- Plenary lecture: Spectroscopy of caner tissues and cell lines, European applied spectroscopy meeting, organised by Thermo Nicolet, University of Naples, Italy (2013)
- Keynote lecture: NanoMED 2012 - International Conference on Nanotechnology in Medicine (2012)
- Keynote lecture: 3rd International Symposium on Biomedical Materials Recent Advances and Challenges, (December 2012)
- Invited to speak at south Asia regional dialogue meeting and conduct a workshop organised by British Council in Islamabad, Pakistan (December 2010)
- Keynote lecture; 3rd International conference on “Assessing Quality in Higher Education" (December 2010)
- A live interview (one hour discussion forum) on Pakistan State TV, "Higher Education in Pakistan" (December 2010)
- Plenary lecture, 2nd International Symposium on Biomedical Materials: Current Research and Future Signposting, Pakistan (July 2010)
Ihtesham's research interests are multidisciplinary and the focal point of his research has been on dental and biomaterials, the identification and understanding of the fundamental mechanisms by which chemical responses are mediated by nano- to micro-scale variations in biomaterials, with the main emphasis on the development of synthetic inorganic bone and dental analogue materials and characterisation of natural tissues.
Professional activities and recognition
Dr Rehman presented a series of webinars to illustrate how Raman spectroscopy is a powerful research tool to identify biochemical changes related to chemical pathway to the progression of cancer:
IU. Rehman, Z. Movasaghi, S. Rehman
Z. Movasaghi, S. Rehman and IU. Rehman. Raman Spectroscopy Can Detect and Monitor Cancer at Cellular Level: Analysis of Resistant and Sensitive Subtypes of Testicular Cancer Cell Lines; Applied Spectroscopy Reviews; DOI: http://dx.doi.10.1080/05704928.2012.684818 ; pages 571-581 Volume 47, Issue 7, (2012)
MN. Ali, and IU. Rehman. An Auxetic structure configured as oesophageal stent with potential to be used for palliative treatment of oesophageal cancer; development and in vitro mechanical analysis; Journal Of Materials Science-Materials In Medicine Volume: 22 Issue: 11 Pages: 2573-2581; DOI: http://dx.doi.10.1007/s10856-011-4436-y (2011)
J.A. Darr, A.A. Chaudhry, H. Yan, K. Gong, F. Inam, G. Viola, M.J. Reece, J.B.M. Goodall, IU. Rehman, F.K. McNeil-Watson, J.C.W. Corbett and J.C. Knowles. High Strength Nano-grained and Translucent Hydroxyapatite Monoliths via Continuous Hydrothermal Synthesis and Optimized Spark Plasma Sintering; Journal: Acta Biomaterialia, 7, 791-799, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2010.09.029 (2011).