Dr Anthony J Bullock
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Kroto Research Institute, North Campus
Broad Lane, Sheffield S3 7HQ
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 6036
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
I joined the Tissue Engineering group in 2000 and is a senior postdoctoral research associate currently involved in interdisciplinary work in the development of a tissue engineering of skin and wound healing.
I obtained my degree in Biomedical Technology at Sheffield City Polytechnic inb 1992, my course included a year-long industrial placement which I spent at Porton Down learning cell culture and rudimentary experiments on in vitro skin models. I then reached the role of protein kinase C in calcium signalling during agonist induced platelet activation, and development of partial agonists to the IP3 receptor at the University of Bath.
My PhD in physiology which I undertook in Liverpool at the Physiological Laboratory focussed on species and developmental changes in the response to hypoxia in the smooth muscle of the ureter. I then became a research associate in Liverpool University studying the effects of bacterial infection on the human ureter.
Currently I’m working on an interdisciplinary project funded by Proctor and Gamble to investigate inflammatory cytokines and their effect on tissue engineered skin models. Data on the effects on the morphology of the developing epidermis is being used to develop an agent based computer model of human epidermis.
This interdisciplinary research incorporates the following areas:-
- Tissue engineering of skin
- Inflammation and its effects on epidermal morphology
- Agent based computer modelling
- Mangera A, Bullock AJ, Chapple CR, Macneil S. Are biomechanical properties predictive of the success of prostheses used in stress urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse? A systematic review. Neurourol Urodyn. 2011 Oct 28 (in press).
- Selim M, Bullock AJ, Blackwood KA, Chapple CR, MacNeil S. Developing biodegradable scaffolds for tissue engineering of the urethra. BJU Int. 2011, 107(2):296-302.
- Bullock AJ, Pickavance P, Haddow DB, Rimmer S, MacNeil S. Development of a calcium-chelating hydrogel for treatment of superficial burns and scalds. Regen Med. 2010, 5(1):55-64.
- Viney ME, Bullock AJ, Day MJ, MacNeil S. Co-culture of intestinal epithelial and stromal cells in 3D collagen-based environments. Regen Med. 2009, 4(3):397-406.
- Rosario DJ, Reilly GC, Ali Salah E, Glover M, Bullock AJ, Macneil S. Decellularization and sterilization of porcine urinary bladder matrix for tissue engineering in the lower urinary tract. Regen Med. 2008, 3(2):145-56.
- Bhargava S, Chapple CR, Bullock AJ, Layton C, MacNeil S. Tissue-engineered buccal mucosa for substitution urethroplasty. BJU Int. 2004 Apr; 93(6):807-11.