Structure-property relations in fluorite related metal oxides
Research is focussed on the synthesis and characterisation of oxide based fluorite and fluorite-related ceramic for applications in nuclear waste immobilisation. Characterisation techniques used include X-ray and electron diffraction, X-ray absorption spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. Properties of interest include chemical durability and tolerance to radiation damage.
Immobilisation of problematic radio-nuclides
Research is focussed on the design, processing and characterisation of tailored ceramic and glass wasteforms for the immobilisation of problematic long-lived radio-nuclides such as 129I, 14C, 99Tc, plutonium and uranium.
Application of novel processing techniques to ceramic and glass synthesis
Research is focussed on the application of techniques such as molten salt mediated synthesis and microwave dielectric heating to the processing of glasses and ceramics for a wide range of applications. Of particular interest is the effect of processing on material properties.
- Mohd Zul Hilmi Mayzan (Processing of glass wasteforms for 14C immobilisation)
- Daniel Backhouse (Ceramic immobilisation options for 99Tc)
- D. P. Reid, M. C. Stennett, and N. C. Hyatt, The fluorite related modulated structure of the Gd2(Zr2-xCex)O7 solid solution: an analogue for Pu, Journal of Solid State Chemistry, In Press (2012) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jssc.2011.12.039.
- J. R. A. Godinho, S Piazolo, M. C. Stennett, and N. C. Hyatt, Sintering of CaF2 pellets as nuclear fuel analogue for surface stability experiments, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 419(2011) 46-51.
- G. L. Hill, B. E. Bailey, M. C. Stennett, N. C. Hyatt, E. R. Maddrell, P. F. McMillan, and J. A. Hriljac, High-pressure and –temperature ion exchange of aluminosilicate and gallosilicate natrolite, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 133(2011) 13883-13885.
- D. P. Reid, N. C. Hyatt, M. C. Stennett, and E. R. Maddrell, Immobilising plutonium, Materials World, 19(2011) 26-28.
- M. C. Stennett, I. J. Pinnock, and N. C. Hyatt, Rapid synthesis of Pb5(VO4)3I, for the immobilisation of iodine radioisotopes, by microwave dielectric heating, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 414(2011) 352-359.
- A. T. Giddings, M. C. Stennett, D. P. Reid, E. E. McCabe, C. Greaves, and N.C Hyatt, Synthesis, structure and characterisation of the n=4 Aurivillius phase Bi5Ti¬3CrO15, Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 184(2011) 252-263.
- D. P. Reid, M. C. Stennett, B. Ravel, J. C. Woicik, N. Peng, E. R. Maddrell, and N. C. Hyatt, The structure of ion beam amorphised zirconolite studied by grazing angle X-ray absorption spectroscopy, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 268(2010) 1847-1852.
- M. C. Stennett, I. M. Reaney, G. C. Miles, D. I. Woodward, A. R. West, C. A. Kirk, and I. Levin, Dielectric and structural studies of Ba2MTi2Nb3O15 (BMNTO15, M = Bi3+, La3+, Nd3+, Sm3+, Gd3+) tetragonal tungsten bronze-structured ceramics,Journal of Applied Physics, 101(2007) 104114.
- W. E. Lee, M. I. Ojovan , N. C. Hyatt, and M. C. Stennett, Immobilisation of radioactive waste in glasses, glass composite materials and ceramics, Advances in Applied Ceramics, 105(2006) 3-12.