If you have a disability, medical condition, or specific learning difficulty, we strongly encourage you to contact the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS). Telephone 0114 2221303: e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org
EXAMS: If you are a student who believes you require alternative arrangements for exams as a result of a disability/SpLD, you must contact the DDSS to to make sure these plans are in place by the deadline end of Week 6.
The DDSS is a confidential and friendly service which offers a range of support, including:
- Liaising with academic staff and central services about disabled students’ support needs
- Helping students to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances
- Organising support workers, e.g. note takers, readers, library support, scribes, interpreters
- Advising on specialist equipment and technology
- Referring dyslexic students for study skills support, at the English Language Teaching Centre
- Referring students who think that they might be dyslexic for diagnostic assessments with an
- Educational Psychologist
- Putting students in contact with local and national external agencies who offer support and advice to disabled people on specific issues
- Formalising alternative arrangements for examinations and assessments, e.g. extra time in examinations; reasonable adjustments to assessment tasks; or alternative assessment formats.
The Disability Liaison Officer in The Department of Mechanical Engineering is Miss Keira Sweet: email@example.com