Dr Charles Lord
BSc, MSc, PhD
Department of Mechanical Engineering
+44 114 222 7888
Full contact details
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Charles Lord is a Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield and a member of the Dynamics Research Group. He holds bachelors and masters degrees in Mechanical Engineering along with minors in Mathematics and Physics from Pittsburgh State University in the USA.
During and after the successful completion of his masters, he worked in industry on national and international Space and Defence related programmes. After working in industry, he began and completed his PhD in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield on the topic of vibrational damping for friction-based systems. His expertise focuses vibrational passive damping modelling, reduced frictional finite elements and nonlinear dynamics.
- Research interests
- friction induced vibrations
- nonlinear modal analysis
- joint dynamics
Passive damping systems
- frictional systems - layered composites, braided structures, mesh structures
- porous systems
- regenerative impact systems (bubbles)
Hybrid damping systems
- visco-elastic filled frictional systems
- adaptive and morphing systems
- coupled structures
Multiscale modelling for dynamical systems
- reduction of nonlinear systems
- element formulations for nonlinear systems
Novel composite materials
- metal matrix
- strain rate dependent matrix
Finite element for large models
- quick modal strategies - component mode synthesis, super elements
- formulation of reduced elements
- Bayesian history matching for structural dynamics applications. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 143. View this article in WRRO
- Identification of blade operational mode shapes during wear of abradable coating. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 472. View this article in WRRO
- A unifying framework for probabilistic validation metrics. Journal of Verification, Validation and Uncertainty Quantification, 4(3). View this article in WRRO
- Sparse Gaussian Process Emulators for surrogate design modelling. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 885, 18-31. View this article in WRRO
- Dynamic properties of unbonded, multi-strand beams subjected to flexural loading. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 101, 168-181. View this article in WRRO
- Project SunbYte: solar astronomy on a budget. Astronomy and Geophysics, 58(2), 2.24-2.25. View this article in WRRO
- A tangential microslip model for circularly and elliptically loaded structures. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 230(6), 900-909. View this article in WRRO
- The Mechanical Properties and the Influence of Parameters for Metallic Closed-Cell Foam Subjected to High-Strain Rates. Advanced Materials Research, 1119, 799-806. View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of Vibrations and Emissions of Conventional Jet Fuel with Stressed 100% SPK and Fully Formulated Synthetic Jet Fuel. Aerospace, 1(2), 52-66. View this article in WRRO
- Linearized material properties of nonlinear interfacial contact for layered composites. Advanced Composites Letters, 20(2), 37-40.
- The Behaviour of Naturally Debonded Composites Due to Bending Using a Meso-Level Model. Applied Composite Materials, 1-12.
- Bayesian History Matching for Forward Model-Driven Structural Health Monitoring, Model Validation and Uncertainty Quantification, Volume 3 (pp. 175-183). Springer International Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- Sequential Bayesian History Matching for Model Calibration. ASME 2019 Verification and Validation Symposium, 15 May 2019 - 17 May 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Learning of model discrepancy for structural dynamics applications using Bayesian history matching. Journal of Physics : Conference Series, Vol. 1264(1), 15 April 2019 - 17 April 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Non-traditional composites targeting high energy dissipation. 25th International Conference on Composites and Nano Engineering (ICCE-25)
- View this article in WRRO A probabilistic framework for forward model-driven SHM. Proceedings of the 9th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring (EWSHM 2018)(2018-11). Manchester, UK, 10 July 2018 - 13 July 2018.
- View this article in WRRO A multi-level uncertainty integration strategy for forward model-driven SHM. Proceedings of ISMA 2018 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD 2018 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics (pp 3681-3692)
- An Evaluation of Validation Metrics for Probabilistic Model Outputs. ASME 2018 Verification and Validation Symposium, 16 May 2018 - 18 May 2018.
- On the use of pseudo-damage to represent damage to structures in population-based Structural Health Monitoring. Proceedings of ISMA 2018 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD 2018 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics (pp 3709-3722)
- View this article in WRRO An exploratory study of the suitability of a wind turbine blade as a nonlinear demonstrator. Proceedings of ISMA 2016 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD2016 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics (pp 4069-4080)
- View this article in WRRO Experimental investigation and modeling of dynamic performance of wave springs. Proceedings of 11th International Conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics, 5 September 2016 - 7 September 2016.
- View this article in WRRO Damping of metallic wool with embedded rigid body motion amplifiers. Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Structural Control
- View this article in WRRO Mathematical and numerical evaluation of the damping behaviour for a multi-strand bar. Proceedings of 6th European Conference on Structural Control, 11 July 2016 - 13 July 2016.
- The design and manufacture of a turbine fan blade using CNT filled PEEK carbon fibre composite. 17th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics
- Vibration damping for stranded, braided structures. Euromech Colloquiam 569: Multiscale modelling of fibrous and textile materials
- View this article in WRRO The development of a damage model for the use in machine learning driven SHM and comparison with conventional SHM Methods. Proceedings of ISMA 2016 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD2016 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics (pp 3333-3346)
- Stiffness and damping of ordered frictional mesh material. ICSV 2016 - 23rd International Congress on Sound and Vibration: From Ancient to Modern Acoustics
- KEYNOTE: Vibration damping: where are we and where are we going?. 20th International Scientific Conference Vibroengineering
- A microslip model for layered structures subjected to bending. Vibroengineering Procedia, Vol. 6 (pp 341-345)
- View this article in WRRO Stiffness and loss factor of unbonded, multi-strand beams under flexural deformation. Proceedings, 2015 International Conference on Engineering Vibration (pp 1518-1529). Ljubljana, Slovenia, 7 September 2015 - 10 September 2015.
- Influence of production pathways and sources of different fuels on Combustion Instabilities of a Gas Turbine Engine. 13th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference
- Dynamic mechanical properties of woven carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastic composite. 20th International Conference on Composite Materials
- View this article in WRRO Dynamic mechanical propertis of woven carbon fibre reinforced thermoplastic composite materials. ICCM International Conferences on Composite Materials, Vol. 2015-July
- Effect of novel alternative fuels and compositions on vibrations of a gas turbine engine. 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference
- Dynamic mechanical properties of carbon nanotube-peek nanocomposite. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- A single layer constitutive model for the dynamics and vibration damping of layered built-up structures using microslip and macroslip models. Collection of Technical Papers - AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference
- Modal characteristics-based damage identification in repeating structures. Research and Applications in Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation - Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, SEMC 2013 (pp 2315-2320)
- The behavior of naturally debonded composites due to bending using a meso level model. DFC11 (Deformation and Fracture of Composites), Cambridge, DFC11 & SI5. Cambridge, UK, 13 April 2011 - 15 April 2011.
- The use of layered composites for passive vibration damping. Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, Vol. 3 (pp 289-298)
- Linearized Material Properties of Nonlinear Interfacial Contact for Layered Composites. International Conference on Interfaces & Interphases in Multicomponent Materials Conference. Sheffield, UK, 1 September 2010 - 3 September 2010.
- Linearised material properties of nonlinear interfacial contact for laminate composites. 4th Materials KTN, Societal Challenges – Material Solutions. London, 22 April 2010.
- Effective bulk properties of layered composites with 1D interfacial bonds. BSSM, New approaches for performance definition of composite materials and structures. Teddington, UK, 11 March 2010.
- EACS 2016 paper - QUANTIFICATION OF UNCERTAINTY FOR EXPERIMENTALLY OBTAINED MODAL PARAMETERS IN THE CREATION OF A ROBUST DAMAGE MODEL
- Bayesian Calibration and Bias Correction for Forward Model-driven SHM. Structural Health Monitoring 2017, 12 September 2017 - 14 September 2017. View this article in WRRO
- A tangential microslip model for circularly and elliptically loaded structures. Noise and Vibration – Emerging Technologies (NOVEM2015). Dubrovnik, Croatia, 13 April 2015 - 15 April 2015.
- The mechanical response for metallic closed-cell foam at high-strain rates. International Conference on Mechanical Properties of Materials. Barcelona, Spain, 18 December 2014 - 20 December 2014.
- Modal characteristics-based damage identification in repeating structures. 5th International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation. Cape Town, South Africa, 2 September 2013 - 4 September 2013.
- A fibre/platelet model for non-uniformly distributed randomly oriented short fibres/platelets. 26th International Conference on Composites and Nano Engineering (ICCE-26)
- Layered built-up damping elements for vibration control. Layered built-up damping elements for vibration control
- Localised strain multiplication via rigid body motion amplifiers from strain dependent vibration dampers. Localised strain multiplication via rigid body motion amplifiers from strain dependent vibration dampers
- EACS 2016 paper - Mathematical and numerical evaluation of the damping behaviour for a multi-strand bar
- EACS 2016 paper - Damping of metallic wool with embedded rigid body motion amplifiers
- Teaching activities
- MEC6009: Finite Element Analysis with ANSYS
- MEC6440: Advanced Finite Element Modelling
- MEC6016: Advanced Experiments and Modelling
- MEC326: Structural Vibrations
- AER385: Aerospace Group Design Project