Dr Simon Blakey
Low Carbon Combustion Centre
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Sheffield
Tel: 0114 222 7819
Dr Simon Blakey is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield. His first degree was Mechanical Engineering with a Modern Language (German) during which he spent a year at the Technische Universitaet Dresden, Germany. After a spell in industry, he returned to study for a PhD. His research was on the energy optimisation of the Hot Dip Galvanizing Industry, focusing on furnace design and process integration. Since 2004, Simon has worked at the Low Carbon Combustion Centre at the University of Sheffield focusing on the technical suitability of alternative and conventional fuels and fuel system hardware for the aviation sector. Simon is Director of the Low Carbon Combustion Centre, Working Group Leader on Alternative Fuels for ECATS, a European Network of Excelence for the development of sustainable fuels for the Aviation Sector and part of the University's Energy 2050 initiative. Simon manages a number of aerospace industry facing research programmes focusing on the technical suitability of alternative and conventional fuels as well as methods for the assessment of the performance of fuel system engine hardware. Simon teaches the Second Year Heat Transfer course to the Aerospace Engineering cohort.
Fuel thermal stability
- Experimental methods at range of scales
- Autoxidation of hydrocarbons
- Depsition modelling, CFD and analytical techniques
- Surface effects on deposit formation
- Research projects include the Innovate UK funded ATI SILOET II, Project 18
- Materials compatability
- Fuel suitability
- Combustion process modelling
- Research projects include JetA-1 fuels development with QER Pty and the EU ITAKA programme.
Combustion system efficiency
- Control and process integration for improved efficiency
- Appropriate scale modelling
- Burner / combustion system design and modelling
- Research projects include KTP programmes with the Wedge Group Ltd.
- Development of representative scaled down experiments
- Design of Experiments
- Research projects include the Innovate UK funded ATI SILOET II, Project 5
Karim Ansari - Effect of poisoned gases on SOFC performance
Jonathan Knapton - Pulse Detonation Engine Improvement
Philip Gadsby - Surface Roughness Effects on Deposition Formation
Matthew Dwyer - Methodologies for Automatic Hydrocarbon Autoxidation Mechanism Generation
Swapneel Roy - Hydrogen assisted combustion systems
Innovate UK - ATI - SILOET II Project 18, WP4 - Fuel System Lifing, collaboration with Rolls Royce
Innovate UK - ATI - SILOET II Project 5, WP5 - Static Seals Lifing, collaboration with Rolls Royce
Innoavte UK - KTP scheme - Digital firing
QER Pty., Austraila - JetA-1 fuel development programme
- beck S, blakey S, chin S, Nicolleau FCGA, qin N, Brown M & Wilson C (2006) The little book of thermofluids. Sheffield: University of Sheffield Dept.of Mechanical & Process Engineering.
- Alborzi E, Blakey S, Ghadbeigi H, Pinna C & Lewis C (2016) Investigation of surface deposition in a simulated fuel injector feed arm with sudden expansion/contraction. Fuel, 186, 534-543. View this article in WRRO
- Leong CC, Blakey S & Wilson CW (2016) Genetic Algorithm optimised Chemical Reactors network: A novel technique for alternative fuels emission prediction. Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, 27, 180-187. View this article in WRRO
- Akram M, Pourkashanian M, Finney K, Best T, Blakey S & Ali U (2016) Performance evaluation of PACT Pilot-plant for CO2 capture from gas turbines with Exhaust Gas Recycle. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 47, 137-150.
- Lobo P, Christie S, Khandelwal B, Blakey SG & Raper DW (2015) Evaluation of Non-volatile Particulate Matter Emission Characteristics of an Aircraft Auxiliary Power Unit with Varying Alternative Jet Fuel Blend Ratios. Energy & Fuels, 29(11), 7705-7711. View this article in WRRO
- Li H, Altaher MA, Wilson CW, Blakey S, Chung W & Rye L (2013) Quantification of aldehydes emissions from alternative and renewable aviation fuels using a gas turbine engine. Atmospheric Environment, 84, 373-379.
- Siouris S, Shepherd T, Wilson C & Blakey S (2013) Development of an Apparatus for the Degradation of Aviation Gas Turbine Lubricants. TRIBOLOGY & LUBRICATION TECHNOLOGY, 69(4), 34-+.
- Shati AKA, Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2013) An empirical solution to turbulent natural convection and radiation heat transfer in square and rectangular enclosures. Applied Thermal Engineering, 51(1-2), 364-370.
- Siouris S, Shepherd T, Wilson C & Blakey S (2013) Development of an apparatus for the degradation of aviation gas turbine Lubricants. Tribology Transactions, 56(2), 215-223.
- Lobo P, Rye L, Williams PI, Christie S, Uryga-Bugajska I, Wilson CW, Hagen DE, Whitefield PD, Blakey S, Coe H, Raper D & Pourkashanian M (2012) Impact of alternative fuels on emissions characteristics of a gas turbine engine - Part 1: Gaseous and particulate matter emissions. Environmental Science and Technology, 46(19), 10805-10811.
- Siouris S, Blakey S & Wilson CW (2012) Investigation of deposition in aviation gas turbine fuel nozzles by coupling of experimental data and heat transfer calculations. Fuel.
- Christie S, Raper D, Lee DS, Williams PI, Rye L, Blakey S, Wilson CW, Lobo P, Hagen D & Whitefield PD (2012) Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon emissions from the combustion of alternative fuels in a gas turbine engine. Environmental Science and Technology, 46(11), 6393-6400.
- Shati AKA, Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2012) A dimensionless solution to radiation and turbulent natural convection in square and rectangular enclosures. Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, 7(2), 257-279.
- Blakey S, Wilson CW, Farmery M & Midgley R (2011) Fuel effects on range versus payload for modern jet aircraft. AERONAUT J, 115(1172), 627-634.
- Shati AKA, Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2011) The effect of surface roughness and emissivity on radiator output. Energy and Buildings, 43(2-3), 400-406. View this article in WRRO
- Blakey S, Rye L & Wilson CW (2011) Aviation gas turbine alternative fuels: A review. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 33(2), 2863-2885.
- Rye L, Blakey S & Wilson CW (2010) Sustainability of supply or the planet: a review of potential drop-in alternative aviation fuels. ENERG ENVIRON SCI, 3(1), 17-27.
- Blakey S, Rowson J, Tomlinson RA, Sandham A & Yoxall A (2009) Squeezability. Part 1: a pressing issue. P I MECH ENG C-J MEC, 223(11), 2615-2625.
- Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2004) Energy consumption and capacity utilization of galvanizing furnaces. P I MECH ENG E-J PRO, 218(E4), 251-259. View this article in WRRO
- Beck SBM, Blakey SG & Chung MC (2001) The effect of wall emissivity on radiator heat output. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 22(3), 185-194. View this article in WRRO
- Wilson CW, Rye L, Blakey S, Lobo P & et al () Inadequacy of Optical Smoke Measurements for Characterisation of Non-Light Absorbing Particulate Matter Emissions from Gas Turbine Engines. Combustion Science and Technology.
- Wilson CW, Sioyris S & Shepherd T () Development of an Apparatus for the Degradation of Aviation Gas Turbine Lubricants. Tribology Transactions.
Conference proceedings papers
- Alborzi E, Blakey S, Keane T & Meijer A (2015) Construction of a reduced chemical kinetic mechanism for petroleum diesel autoxidation. IASH 2015 - 14th International Symposium on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels
- Knapton JN, Blakey SG & Niccoleau F (2015) Understanding the effects of fractal blockage geometries on flame acceleration in propane-air flames. 51st AIAA/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference
- Altaher MA, Li H, Blakey S & Chung W (2014) NMHC and VOC speciation of the exhaust gas from a gas turbine engine using alternative, renewable and conventional jet A-1 aviation fuels. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 3A
- Altaher MA, Li H, Williams P, Johnson M & Blakey S (2014) Determination of particle penetration factors in a particle transfer line for aero gas turbine engine exhaust particle measurement. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 4A
- Khandelwal B, Roy S, Lord C & Blakey S (2014) Effect of novel alternative fuels and compositions on vibrations of a gas turbine engine. 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2014
- Blakey S, Bauldreay JM, Wilson CC, Alborzi E & Liu Y (2013) Synthetic paraffinic kerosenes - Impact of composition differences on jet fuel candidate properties. 13th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2013 (pp 155)
- Altaher MA, Li H, Wilson CW, Blakey S & Chung W (2013) Particulate emissions and size distributions from renewable fuel blend for gas turbine engine. Proceedings of the 9th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, ASPACC 2013
- Blakey S, Kingdon S & Wilson CW (2013) Interaction of aromatic molecules and elastomeric materials: Seal performance and Hansen solubility parameters. 13th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2013 (pp 146)
- Mielczarek DC, Blakey S, Hughes KJ, Ingham DB, Pourkashanian M & Wilson CW (2013) Experimental and theoretical investigation of pathways to deposit formation in thermally stressed aviation fuel in the presence of nitrogenous additives. 13th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2013 (pp 230-240)
- Blakey S, Yusuf A & Wilson CW (2013) Effect of aromatic content on thermal stability of jet fuels. 13th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2013 (pp 156)
- Blakey SG, Spalton T & Wilson CW (2011) Analysis of large scale thermal stability testing. 12th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2011, Vol. 2 (pp 1149-1171)
- Liu Y, Wilson CW, Blakey SG & Theato P (2011) Investigation of elastomer compatibility with alternative fuels by mass change study, stress-relaxation test and FTIR spectroscopy. 12th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2011, Vol. 1 (pp 340-372)
- Sicard M, Starck L, Blakey S, Ancelle J, Jeuland N, Piperel A, Raepsaet B, Ser F, Spalton T & Wilson CW (2011) Evaluation of the alternative fuel thermal-oxidation stability within the European Swafea program. 12th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2011, Vol. 1 (pp 539-564)
- Alborzi E, Blakey SG, Ghadebigi H, Pinna C, Pourkashanian M & Wilson CW (2011) Analysis of the structure of deposited materials at inner surface of jet fuel injector feed arm with Optical and Scanning Electron Microscopy. 12th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2011, Vol. 2 (pp 1120-1148)
- Liu Y, Wilson CW, Blakey S & Dolmansley T (2011) Elastomer compatibility test of alternative fuels using stress-relaxation test and FTIR spectroscopy. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 1 (pp 637-647)
- Leong CC, Rye LJ, Blakey S & Wilson CW (2010) REVERSE ENGINEERING GAS TURBINE EMISSION PERFORMANCE: APPLIED TO AN AIRCRAFT AUXILIARY POWER UNIT. PROCEEDINGS OF THE ASME TURBO EXPO 2010, VOL 2, PTS A AND B (pp 389-399)
- Blakey S, Wilson CW, Farmery M & Midgley R (2009) Fuel effects on range versus payload for modern jet aircraft. 11th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2009, Vol. 1 (pp 138-167)
- Beck SMB, Grinsted SC, Blakey SG & Worden K (2004) A novel design for panel radiators. APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, Vol. 24(8-9) (pp 1291-1300)
- Blakey SG & Beck SBM (2004) The effect of combined radiation and convection on hot dip galvanizing kettle wear. APPLIED THERMAL ENGINEERING, Vol. 24(8-9) (pp 1301-1319)
- Akram M, Khandelwal B, Ubogu E, Blakey S & Wilson C () Experimental Analysis on Emission Production and Performance of Stressed 100 % SPK, Stressed Fully Formulated Synthetic Jet Fuel, Jet A-1 in a Small Gas Turbine Engine. 49th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit and 11th International Energy Conversi. San Jose, USA, 15 July 2013 - 17 July 2013.
- Wilson CW, blakey S, Chung W & Li H () INFLUENCE OF FUEL COMPOSITION, ENGINE POWER AND OPERATION MODE ON EXHAUST GAS PARTICULATE SIZE DISTRIBUTION FROM AN APU ENGINE. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Power for Land, Sea and Air GT2013(94854), 3 June 2013 - 7 June 2013.
- Fleming PJ, Mills AR, Blakey S, Wilson C & Thompson HA () Time-frequency domain incipient fault detection with application to an aviation fuel system. CM/MFPT. Dublin, 2009.
- Wu Y, Umapathy S & Blakey S () CFD Analysis of NOx Formation from Heavy Fuel Oil Combustion. 10th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers. Portugal, 7 April 2015 - 10 April 2015.
- Akram M, Blakey S & Pourkashanian M () Influence of gas turbine exhaust CO2 concentration on the performance of Post combustion carbon capture plant. Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conferen ce and Exposition. Montreal, 15 June 2015 - 19 June 2015.
- Akram M, Leong C & Blakey S () Chemical Kinetic analyses of Combustion for Carbon Capture from Gas Turbines using Exhaust Gas Recycle. 1st International Symposium on Energy Challenges and Mechanics. Aberdeen, 8 July 2014 - 10 July 2014.
- Akram M, Khandelwal B, Blakey S & Wilson CW () PRELIMINARY CALCULATIONS ON POST COMBUSTION CARBON CAPTURE FROM GAS TURBINES WITH FLUE GAS RECYCLE. ASME Turbo Expo 2013. San Antonio, 3 June 2013 - 7 June 2013.