Dr Beverley Gibbs
BEng, MBA, MA, PhD, CEng MIMMM, SFHEA
Director of Learning and Teaching (Strategy)
Senior University Teacher in Engineering Management
Department of Mechanical Engineering
The University of Sheffield
Room D234, Central Wing
Engineering Heartspace, Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 7732
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 7890
Open Office Without Appointment: Thursdays 10-11am in term time
Beverley joined the academic staff in 2015 after a 20 year career in practice as a Production Engineer, Programme Manager and Strategic Analyst in manufacturing, applied research, engineering consultancy and mining sectors. In the transition to academia, Beverley completed an MA in social research methods and a PhD in public participation with low-carbon energy technologies in Scotland. In 2013 she was appointed to a Provost’s Fellowship at UCL as a founding member of a new interdisciplinary Department in the Engineering Faculty with research and teaching responsibilities.
In the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Beverley is Director of Learning and Teaching (Strategy) whose responsibilities span accreditation, pedagogy, curriculum and employability, and she is Programme Director for 750 students on MEng and BEng Mechanical Engineering degrees. Beverley’s teaching philosophy values an active, social, empowering and inspiring learning environment that helps develop competent, reflective engineers with their own sense of purpose. She has successfully implemented numerous teaching enhancements to support these aims, and is leading a large-scale collaborative curriculum review in Mechanical Engineering.
Beverley’s teaching focuses on final year MEng and MSc students, including:
- Managing Innovation and Change
- Professional Development, and professional ethics
- Dissertation supervision on topics associated with: design philosophy and tools; open source hardware; innovation strategy; sustainability.
- Chartered Engineer and Professional Member of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Certified Management & Business Educator, Chartered Association of Business Schools
- University of Sheffield Senate Fellow, 2019 Award Recipient for Leadership in Learning and Teaching
- Leader - Research Methods special interest group, UK & Ireland Engineering Education Research Network
- Leader - ‘Pioneering Programmes and Practice in Engineering Education’ online network, AdvanceHE Connect
- Operations Board member, Sheffield Engineering Leadership Academy
- Founding member - University of Sheffield Learning & Teaching Scholarship Network (University staff)
Beverley's research interests are concentrated on critical engagement with technology and the role of engineering and engineers in society, on engineering education and understanding student learning, and on students as curriculum partners.
She has collaborated with the University of Virginia’s Department of Engineering and Society to examine and compare undergraduate interdisciplinary learning, and was co-investigator on the Nottingham TERRAIN project, helping develop a tool to cascade the teaching of responsible innovation through SET doctoral training.