Dr Inna M. Gitman
BSc, MSc, PhD
European and Year Abroad Tutor
Department of Mechanical Engineering
RC09 Mappin Mining Block
Telephone: +44(0)114 2227728
Fax: +44(0)114 2227890
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Inna Gitman graduated from Perm State Technical University (Russia) in 2002; where she studied Mathematical Modelling of Systems and Processes. She was awarded her PhD in Civil Engineering from the Delft University of Technology (Netherlands) in 2006. The topic was representative volume and multi-scale modelling in quasi-brittle materials. After several postdoctoral jobs (on stochastic characterisation and reliability of saturated soils at the University of Manchester and finite elements for gradient elasticity and computational multi-scale modelling of mechanical stimulation of bone at the University of Sheffield) Dr Gitman joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering as a lecturer in 2009.
My main research interests are the modelling of solid and bio-materials. My work is mostly computational. The three main themes are Mechanics of Materials, Bio-Mechanics and Statistical & Stochastic Analysis.
Mechanics of Materials:
- Analysis of the materials behaviour within a multi-scale modelling framework using the homogenisation of Representative Volume Elements (in collaboration with Prof. Bert Sluys of Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, and Prof. Harm Askes of the University of Sheffield).
- Analysis and implementation of gradient-enriched continuum theories that can be used to capture a range of microstructure-driven phenomena such as wave dispersion, size effects and strain localisation (in collaboration with Prof. Elias Aifantis of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece, Prof. Harm Askes, and Dr Terry Bennett of the University of Sheffield).
- Analysis of the behaviour of the bone subjected to osteoporosis (in collaboration with Prof. Tim Skerry, Dr Eugene McCloskey and Dr Lang Yang).
- Modelling of bone as anisotropic continua (in collaboration with Prof. Harm Askes of the University of Sheffield, Dr Ellen Kuhl of the Stanford University, USA and Prof. Elias Aifantis of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece).
Statistical & Stochastic analysis
- Statistical analysis and stochastic characterisation of saturated soil (in collaboration with Prof. Michael A. Hicks of Delft University of Technology, Netherlands).
- Stochastic stability analysis (in collaboration with Prof. Mikhail B. Gitman of Perm State Technical University).
- 2009 Computational multi-scale modelling of mechanical stimulation of bone" funded by Wellcome Trust Value in People (principal investigator; with Dr Lang Yang and Prof. Harm Askes) Value: $68,301.
Materials under stress, MEC102
Labs for MEC113 "Solids, Liquids and Gases"
- Gitman IM (2006) Representative volumes and multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle materials. Technische Universiteit Delft.
- Gitman IM & Song Y (2018) Fibonacci sequence for modelling stop bands in random microstructure. ZAMM - Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics / Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, 98(2), 270-276. View this article in WRRO
- Gitman IM, Klyuev AV, Gitman MB & Stolbov V (2018) Multi-scale approach for strength properties estimation in functional materials. ZAMM - Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics / Zeitschrift fur Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik. View this article in WRRO
- Gitman MB, Klyuev AV, Stolbov VY & Gitman IM (2017) Complex Estimation of Strength Properties of Functional Materials on the Basis of the Analysis of Grain-Phase Structure Parameters. Strength of Materials, 49(5), 710-717. View this article in WRRO
- Song Y, Gitman I, Parnell WJ & Askes H (2017) The influence of random microstructure on wave propagation through heterogeneous media. International Journal of Fracture, 204(1), 114-120. View this article in WRRO
- Askes H & Gitman I (2017) Reducible and irreducible forms of stabilised gradient elasticity in dynamics. Mathematics and Mechanics of Complex Systems, 5(1), 1-17. View this article in WRRO
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A & Gitman I (2016) Numerical investigation of thermo-mechanical effective properties for short fibre composite. Applied Composite Materials. View this article in WRRO
- Ioannou I & Gitman I (2016) A Numerical Study on Micromechanical Aspects in Short Fiber Composites. International Journal of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 10(11), 1405-1409.
- Bagni C, Gitman I & Askes H (2015) A micro-inertia gradient visco-elastic motivation for proportional damping. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 347, 115-125. View this article in WRRO
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A, Gitman I, Soutis C & Almaadeed MA (2014) Micro-Mechanical Parameters in Short Fibre Composite. Applied Composite Materials, 21(1), 197-211.
- Askes H & Gitman I (2014) A computational mechanics perspective on long-range interactions in gradient elasticity with microinertia. J Mech Behav Mater, 23(1-2), 37-40.
- Gitman IM (2012) Anisotropic gradient elasticity for modelling bone tissue. Computational Materials Science, 52(1), 136-138.
- Gitman IM (2011) Anisotropic gradient elasticity for modelling bone tissue. Computational Materials Science.
- Gitman IM, Askes H, Kuhl E & Aifantis EC (2010) Stress concentrations in fractured compact bone simulated with a special class of anisotropic gradient elasticity. INT J SOLIDS STRUCT, 47(9), 1099-1107.
- Gitman I (2010) Gradient elasticity for modelling periprosthetic fracture at bi-material bone-implant interface. Russian Journal of Biomechanics, 4 (50)(14), 27-35.
- Askes H & Gitman IM (2009) Non-Singular Stresses in Gradient Elasticity at Bi-Material Interface with Transverse Crack. INT J FRACTURE, 156(2), 217-222.
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2008) Coupled-volume multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle material. EUR J MECH A-SOLID, 27(3), 302-327.
- Bennett T, Gitman IM & Askes H (2007) Elasticity theories with higher-order gradients of inertia and stiffness for the modelling of wave dispersion in laminates. INT J FRACTURE, 148(2), 185-193.
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2007) Representative volume: Existence and size determination. ENG FRACT MECH, 74(16), 2518-2534.
- Michelitsch TM, Gitman IM & Askes H (2007) Critical wave lengths and instabilities in gradient-enriched continuum theories. MECH RES COMMUN, 34(7-8), 515-521.
- Gitman I, Askes H & Aifantis EC (2007) Gradient elasticity with internal length and internal inertia based on the homogenisation of a Representative Volume Element. Journal of the Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, 18, 1-16.
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2007) Multiscale modelling of softening materials. Advances in Fracture and Damage Mechanics VI, 348-349, 1-4.
- Gitman IM, Gitman MB & Askes H (2006) Quantification of stochastically stable representative volumes for random heterogeneous materials. ARCH APPL MECH, 75(2-3), 79-92.
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Aifantis EC (2005) The representative volume size in static and dynamic micro-macro transitions. INT J FRACTURE, 135(1-4), L3-L9.
- Gitman MB & Gitman I (2004) A new approach to stochastic stability. DH-Stability. Computing and Applied Mechanics(2), 29-35.
- Aristov SN & Gitman IM (2002) Viscous flow between two moving parallel disks: Exact solutions and stability analysis. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 464, 209-215.
- Aristov SN & Gitman I (1998) The movement of the sticky incompressible liquid between moving parallel disks. Computing and Applied Mechanics(1), 74-77.
- Kwong MT & Gitman I () Gradient Elastic Stress Analysis for Anisotropic Bimaterial Interface with Arbitrarily Oriented Crack. International Journal of Fracture.
- Gitman I, Sluys LJ & Askes H () A coupled-volume approach to the multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle materials. Materials Science Forum, 539–543, 2582-2587.
- Askes H & Gitman IM (2010) Review and critique of the stress gradient elasticity theories of Eringen and Aifantis In Maugin GA & Metrikine AV (Ed.), Mechanics of Generalized Continua: One Hundred Years After the Cosserats (pp. 203-210). Springer Verlag
- Askes H, Gitman IM, Simone A & Sluys LJ (2008) Modelling of size effects with gradient-enriched continuum theories In Borodich F (Ed.), IUTAM Symposium on Scaling in Solid Mechanics: Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium held in Cardiff, UK, 25–29 June, 2007 (pp. 59-68). Netherlands: Springer Verlag.
- Askes H, Bennett T, Gitman IM & Aifantis EC (2008) Chapter 10: A Multi-Scale Formulation of Gradient Elasticity and Its Finite Element Implementation In Papadrakakis M & Topping BHZ (Ed.), TRENDS IN ENGINEERING COMPUTATIONAL TECHNOLOGY (pp. 189-208). SAXE-COBURG PUBLICATIONS
- Askes H, Bennett T, Gitman I & Aifantis EC (2008) A multi-scale formulation of gradient elasticity and its finite element implementation In Topping BHV & Papadrakakis M (Ed.), Trends in engineering computational technology (pp. 189-208). Stirlingshire, UK: Saxe-Coburg Pubns.
Conference proceedings papers
- Gadoury PAH, Gitman I, Smith AI & Scaife R (2017) Recovery of 3d anisotropy data from ct scans of 3d woven composites by principal component analysis. CANCOM2017
- Gadoury PAH & Gitman I (2017) Hyperdimensional offsets and polynomial refinement and integration scheme for harmonic basis function finite elements. UKACM. Birmingham,
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A & Gitman I (2014) Numerical investigation of effective thermo-mechanical properties in short fibre composites. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Mulyadi , Gitman I, Pinna C & Soutis C (2014) Modelling interaction effect of nanosilica particles on nanosilica/epoxy composite stiffness. 16th European Conference of Composite Materials. Seville, Spain
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A, Soutis C, Gitman I & Al-Maadeed MA (2012) Numerical characterisation on random glass fibre composite material. 15th European conference on composite materials. Venice, Italy
- Askes H & Gitman IM (2010) Review and Critique of the Stress Gradient Elasticity Theories of Eringen and Aifantis. MECHANICS OF GENERALIZED CONTINU A, Vol. 21 (pp 203-+)
- Askes H, Gitman IM & Bennett T (2009) Dynamic implementation of implicit gradient elasticity. Euromech Colloquium 510. Paris
- Gitman I, Bennett T & Askes H (2008) Dispersive propagation of body waves modelled with gradient elasticity. 16th UK National ACME conference (pp 122-125). Newcastle University
- Askes H, Gitman IM & Bennett T (2007) Formulation and finite element implementation of dynamically consistent gradient elasticity. 15th UK National ACME conference. Glasgow
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2007) A coupled-volume approach to the multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle materials. THERMEC 2006, Pts 1-5, Vol. 539-543 (pp 2582-2587)
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2006) Multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle material. Computational Modelling of Concrete Structures (pp 97-107)
- Gitman I (2006) Statistical Distributions in Modelling Soil Variability. 14th UK National ACME conference / 14th Irish National ISSEC conference (pp 147-150)
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2006) Multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle material. Euro-C 2006, Computational Modelling of Concrete Structures (pp 97-107). Leiden
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2005) Multi-scale modelling and representative volumes: linear-elasticity and softening. International Conference on Fracture. Turin
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2004) Representative Volume Size as a Macroscopic Length Scale Parameter. Ia-FraMCos, Fifth international conference on fracture mechanics of concrete and concrete structures, Vol. 1 (pp 483-491)
- Gitman IM, Askes H, Sluys LJ & Stroeven M (2003) Multiscale modelling of granular materials. COMPUTATIONAL MODELLING OF CONCRETE STRUCTURES (pp 67-70)
- Gitman I, Askes H, Sluys LJ & Stroeven M (2003) Multiscale modelling of granular materials. Euro-C 2003, Computational Modelling of Concrete Structures (pp 67-70). Rotterdam
- Gitman MB, Gitman I & Askes H (2003) On the stochastic stability of deformation processes. Ninth International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (pp 291-295). San Francisco, USA
- Aristov SN & Gitman I (2000) The stability analysis of the sticky incompressible liquid motion near the stagnation point. Actual Problems in Mechanics, XXVIII Summer School (pp 342-346). St. Petersburg
- Gitman I, Askes H & Aifantis EC () Gradient elasticity for anisotropic materials. Advanced Problems in Mechanics, XXXVI International Summer School Conference. 2008
- Gitman I & Askes H () Higher-order homogenisation methods for continua with internal length and internal time. 10th European Mechanics of Materials Conference (pp 129-135). 2007
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ () Size effect and Representative Volumes. ICOSSAR 2005 (pp 403-410). 2005
- Gitman I, Askes H, Sluys LJ & Lloberas Valls O () The concept of Representative Volume for elastic, hardening and softening materials. Advanced Problems in Mechanics, XXXII International Summer School Conference (pp 180-184). 2004