Dr Inna M. Gitman
BSc, MSc, PhD, FHEA
ERASMUS and Year Abroad Coordinator
Programme Director of “Mechanical Engineering with a Semester in China”
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Tel: +44(0)114 222 7728
I graduated from Perm State Technical University (Russia) in 2002, where I studied Mathematical Modelling of Systems and Processes. In 2006, I was awarded my PhD degree in Computational Mechanics from Delft University of Technology (the Netherlands). Following postdoctoral positions at the University of Manchester and the University of Sheffield, I joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering as a Lecturer in 2009 and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2018.
My main research interests are in the modelling of solid and bio-materials. My work is mostly computational. If I were to describe my research in one sentence, it would be “understanding, controlling and optimising the behaviour of a material by understanding, controlling and optimising its micro-structure”. I also love uncertainty: realising that in the world around us most natural and man-made materials are far from being strictly deterministic and ordered, in my research I aim to incorporate this disorder and stochasticity into our models.
I work within a range of applications from man-made materials, such as concrete, composites and metals, to bio-materials, such as bones and teeth. My two main research themes are:
Mechanics of Materials
- Modelling material behaviour within a multi-scale modelling framework using concepts of homogenisation and Representative Volume Element.
- Development and implementation of microstructurally-driven gradient-enriched continuum theories.
- Modelling wave propagation through materials with periodic and random microstructure.
- Finite Element analysis within frameworks of multi-scale modelling and gradient-enriched continua.
- Statistical analysis and stochastic characterisation of materials, Fuzzy Set models and stochastic stability analysis.
- 2019: “Modelling size-dependent electro-magneto-mechanical coupling”, funded by Royal Society, International Exchanges Cost Share Programme with the National Natural Science Foundation of China, £9,120 (co-investigator).
- 2018: “Setting the Verification Standard for Adhesion Forecasting Case Studies: Stagecoach Supertram and Arriva Rail North”, funded by Railway Safety and Standards Board, £54,148 (co-investigator).
- 2018: “AFP Curvilinear Variable Stiffness Laminate Optimisation”, funded by AMRC (UK) & NRC (Canada) £68,544 & C$100,000 (co-investigator).
- 2017: “FRAMED – Fracture across Scales and Materials, Processes and Disciplines”, funded by EC Horizon 2020, €900,000 (co-investigator).
- 2011: “Adaptive Gradient Elasticity and Mechanical Stimulation in Bone Remodelling”, funded by EPSRC, £123,199 (principal investigator).
- 2010: “The influence of microstructure on wave and front propagation through heterogeneous media”, funded by the Leverhulme Trust, £228,721 (co-investigator).
- 2009: “Computational multi-scale modelling of mechanical stimulation of bone”, funded by the Wellcome Trust, £68,301 (principal investigator).
Current and completed PhD students
- Ruixuan Tu: “Methodology to estimate macroscopic strength properties of a material based on a microstructural and microdamage analysis”
- Sinan Eraslan: “Wave propagation in elasto-electromagnetic materials”
- Zakaria Alshkmak: “Patient-specific tools evaluating teeth decay”
- Pascal Gadoury: “Optimal design and manufacturing of orthotropic structures”
- Yilang Song (successfully completed in 2015): “The influence of random microstructure on wave propagation through heterogeneous media”
- Ioannis Ioannou (successfully completed in 2014): “A Study on the Numerical Characterisation of Short Fibre Composites”
- Materials under stress, MEC102
- Solid Biomechanics, MEC6430 and MEC325
- Gitman IM (2006) Representative volumes and multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle materials. Technische Universiteit Delft.
- Xu M, Gitman I & Askes H (2019) A gradient-enriched continuum model for magneto-elastic coupling: formulation, finite element implementation and in-plane problems. Computers and Structures, 212, 275-288. View this article in WRRO
- Gitman IM, Gitman MB, Stolbov VY, Batin SE & Boyarshinov DA (2019) Methodology to estimate the minimum number of experiments and key microstructural parameters in macroscopic strength properties evaluation. ZAMM ‐ Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics / Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik. View this article in WRRO
- Stratis N & Gitman IM (2018) Evaluation of model parameters in teeth stress analysis. Russian Journal of Biomechanics, 22(4), 369-381. View this article in WRRO
- Gitman IM, Klyuev AV, Gitman MB & Stolbov V (2018) Multi‐scale approach for strength properties estimation in functional materials. ZAMM - Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics / Zeitschrift fur Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, 98(6), 945-953. View this article in WRRO
- Gitman IM & Song Y (2018) Fibonacci sequence for modelling stop bands in random microstructure. ZAMM - Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics / Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, 98(2), 270-276. View this article in WRRO
- Gitman MB, Klyuev AV, Stolbov VY & Gitman IM (2017) Complex Estimation of Strength Properties of Functional Materials on the Basis of the Analysis of Grain-Phase Structure Parameters. Strength of Materials, 49(5), 710-717. View this article in WRRO
- Song Y, Gitman I, Parnell WJ & Askes H (2017) The influence of random microstructure on wave propagation through heterogeneous media. International Journal of Fracture, 204(1), 114-120. View this article in WRRO
- Askes H & Gitman I (2017) Reducible and irreducible forms of stabilised gradient elasticity in dynamics. Mathematics and Mechanics of Complex Systems, 5(1), 1-17. View this article in WRRO
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A & Gitman I (2016) Numerical investigation of thermo-mechanical effective properties for short fibre composite. Applied Composite Materials. View this article in WRRO
- Ioannou I & Gitman I (2016) A Numerical Study on Micromechanical Aspects in Short Fiber Composites. International Journal of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, 10(11), 1405-1409.
- Bagni C, Gitman I & Askes H (2015) A micro-inertia gradient visco-elastic motivation for proportional damping. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 347, 115-125. View this article in WRRO
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A, Gitman I, Soutis C & Almaadeed MA (2014) Micro-Mechanical Parameters in Short Fibre Composite. Applied Composite Materials, 21(1), 197-211.
- Askes H & Gitman I (2014) A computational mechanics perspective on long-range interactions in gradient elasticity with microinertia. J Mech Behav Mater, 23(1-2), 37-40.
- Kwong MT & Gitman I (2012) Gradient Elastic Stress Analysis for Anisotropic Bimaterial Interface with Arbitrarily Oriented Crack. International Journal of Fracture, 173(1), 79-85.
- Gitman IM (2012) Anisotropic gradient elasticity for modelling bone tissue. Computational Materials Science, 52(1), 136-138.
- Gitman IM (2011) Anisotropic gradient elasticity for modelling bone tissue. Computational Materials Science.
- Gitman IM, Askes H, Kuhl E & Aifantis EC (2010) Stress concentrations in fractured compact bone simulated with a special class of anisotropic gradient elasticity. INT J SOLIDS STRUCT, 47(9), 1099-1107.
- Gitman I (2010) Gradient elasticity for modelling periprosthetic fracture at bi-material bone-implant interface. Russian Journal of Biomechanics, 4 (50)(14), 27-35.
- Askes H & Gitman IM (2009) Non-Singular Stresses in Gradient Elasticity at Bi-Material Interface with Transverse Crack. INT J FRACTURE, 156(2), 217-222.
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2008) Coupled-volume multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle material. EUR J MECH A-SOLID, 27(3), 302-327.
- Bennett T, Gitman IM & Askes H (2007) Elasticity theories with higher-order gradients of inertia and stiffness for the modelling of wave dispersion in laminates. INT J FRACTURE, 148(2), 185-193.
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2007) Representative volume: Existence and size determination. ENG FRACT MECH, 74(16), 2518-2534.
- Michelitsch TM, Gitman IM & Askes H (2007) Critical wave lengths and instabilities in gradient-enriched continuum theories. MECH RES COMMUN, 34(7-8), 515-521.
- Gitman I, Askes H & Aifantis EC (2007) Gradient elasticity with internal length and internal inertia based on the homogenisation of a Representative Volume Element. Journal of the Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, 18, 1-16.
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2007) Multiscale modelling of softening materials. Advances in Fracture and Damage Mechanics VI, 348-349, 1-4.
- Gitman IM, Gitman MB & Askes H (2006) Quantification of stochastically stable representative volumes for random heterogeneous materials. ARCH APPL MECH, 75(2-3), 79-92.
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Aifantis EC (2005) The representative volume size in static and dynamic micro-macro transitions. INT J FRACTURE, 135(1-4), L3-L9.
- Gitman MB & Gitman I (2004) A new approach to stochastic stability. DH-Stability. Computing and Applied Mechanics(2), 29-35.
- Aristov SN & Gitman IM (2002) Viscous flow between two moving parallel disks: Exact solutions and stability analysis. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 464, 209-215.
- Aristov SN & Gitman I (1998) The movement of the sticky incompressible liquid between moving parallel disks. Computing and Applied Mechanics(1), 74-77.
- Gitman I, Sluys LJ & Askes H () A coupled-volume approach to the multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle materials. Materials Science Forum, 539–543, 2582-2587.
- Askes H & Gitman IM (2010) Review and critique of the stress gradient elasticity theories of Eringen and Aifantis In Maugin GA & Metrikine AV (Ed.), Mechanics of Generalized Continua: One Hundred Years After the Cosserats (pp. 203-210). Springer Verlag
- Askes H, Gitman IM, Simone A & Sluys LJ (2009) Modelling of Size Effects with Gradient-Enriched Continuum Theories, IUTAM Symposium on Scaling in Solid Mechanics (pp. 59-68).
- Askes H, Gitman IM, Simone A & Sluys LJ (2008) Modelling of size effects with gradient-enriched continuum theories In Borodich F (Ed.), IUTAM Symposium on Scaling in Solid Mechanics: Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium held in Cardiff, UK, 25–29 June, 2007 (pp. 59-68). Netherlands: Springer Verlag.
- Askes H, Bennett T, Gitman IM & Aifantis EC (2008) Chapter 10: A Multi-Scale Formulation of Gradient Elasticity and Its Finite Element Implementation In Papadrakakis M & Topping BHZ (Ed.), TRENDS IN ENGINEERING COMPUTATIONAL TECHNOLOGY (pp. 189-208). SAXE-COBURG PUBLICATIONS
- Askes H, Bennett T, Gitman I & Aifantis EC (2008) A multi-scale formulation of gradient elasticity and its finite element implementation In Topping BHV & Papadrakakis M (Ed.), Trends in engineering computational technology (pp. 189-208). Stirlingshire, UK: Saxe-Coburg Pubns.
Conference proceedings papers
- Gadoury PAH, Gitman I, Smith AI & Scaife R (2017) Recovery of 3d anisotropy data from ct scans of 3d woven composites by principal component analysis. CANCOM2017
- Gadoury PAH & Gitman I (2017) Hyperdimensional offsets and polynomial refinement and integration scheme for harmonic basis function finite elements. UKACM. Birmingham,
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A & Gitman I (2014) Numerical investigation of effective thermo-mechanical properties in short fibre composites. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Mulyadi , Gitman I, Pinna C & Soutis C (2014) Modelling interaction effect of nanosilica particles on nanosilica/epoxy composite stiffness. 16th European Conference of Composite Materials. Seville, Spain
- Ioannou I, Hodzic A, Soutis C, Gitman I & Al-Maadeed MA (2012) Numerical characterisation on random glass fibre composite material. 15th European conference on composite materials. Venice, Italy
- Askes H & Gitman IM (2010) Review and Critique of the Stress Gradient Elasticity Theories of Eringen and Aifantis, Vol. 21 (pp 203-210)
- Askes H, Gitman IM & Bennett T (2009) Dynamic implementation of implicit gradient elasticity. Euromech Colloquium 510. Paris
- Gitman I, Bennett T & Askes H (2008) Dispersive propagation of body waves modelled with gradient elasticity. 16th UK National ACME conference (pp 122-125). Newcastle University
- Askes H, Gitman IM & Bennett T (2007) Formulation and finite element implementation of dynamically consistent gradient elasticity. 15th UK National ACME conference. Glasgow
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2007) A coupled-volume approach to the multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle materials. THERMEC 2006, Pts 1-5, Vol. 539-543 (pp 2582-2587)
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2006) Multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle material. Computational Modelling of Concrete Structures (pp 97-107)
- Gitman I (2006) Statistical Distributions in Modelling Soil Variability. 14th UK National ACME conference / 14th Irish National ISSEC conference (pp 147-150)
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2006) Multi-scale modelling of quasi-brittle material. Euro-C 2006, Computational Modelling of Concrete Structures (pp 97-107). Leiden
- Gitman IM, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2005) Multi-scale modelling and representative volumes: linear-elasticity and softening. International Conference on Fracture. Turin
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ (2004) Representative Volume Size as a Macroscopic Length Scale Parameter. Ia-FraMCos, Fifth international conference on fracture mechanics of concrete and concrete structures, Vol. 1 (pp 483-491)
- Gitman IM, Askes H, Sluys LJ & Stroeven M (2003) Multiscale modelling of granular materials. COMPUTATIONAL MODELLING OF CONCRETE STRUCTURES (pp 67-70)
- Gitman I, Askes H, Sluys LJ & Stroeven M (2003) Multiscale modelling of granular materials. Euro-C 2003, Computational Modelling of Concrete Structures (pp 67-70). Rotterdam
- Gitman MB, Gitman I & Askes H (2003) On the stochastic stability of deformation processes. Ninth International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (pp 291-295). San Francisco, USA
- Aristov SN & Gitman I (2000) The stability analysis of the sticky incompressible liquid motion near the stagnation point. Actual Problems in Mechanics, XXVIII Summer School (pp 342-346). St. Petersburg
- Gitman I, Askes H & Aifantis EC () Gradient elasticity for anisotropic materials. Advanced Problems in Mechanics, XXXVI International Summer School Conference. 2008
- Gitman I & Askes H () Higher-order homogenisation methods for continua with internal length and internal time. 10th European Mechanics of Materials Conference (pp 129-135). 2007
- Gitman I, Askes H & Sluys LJ () Size effect and Representative Volumes. ICOSSAR 2005 (pp 403-410). 2005
- Gitman I, Askes H, Sluys LJ & Lloberas Valls O () The concept of Representative Volume for elastic, hardening and softening materials. Advanced Problems in Mechanics, XXXII International Summer School Conference (pp 180-184). 2004