Dr Bhupendra Khandelwal
CEng, MBA, PhD, FHEA, SMAIAA
Low Carbon Combustion Centre
University of Sheffield,
Unit 2, Crown Works Industrial Estate
Rotherham Road, Sheffield,
S20 1AH, UK
Dr Bhupendra Khandelwal joined The University of Sheffield (Low Carbon Combustion Centre) in June 2012. He is working on combustion, emissions and performance of alternative fuel to be used in gas turbine engines and other combustion sources. He is leading combustion and emissions research areas at Low Carbon Combustion Centre. Dr. Khandelwal is working closely with large range of industries, government organisations and universities including FAA, Siemens, Rolls-Royce, UK MOD and Dstl. Prior to this position, he held a researcher position in Aerospace Engineering at Cranfield University, where he worked on gas turbine combustors. While at Cranfield University, he technically led a team of 11 MSc Researchers for project related to combustors. Dr Khandelwal completed his bachelors from India in 2008 and joined one of India’s top technical institutes, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay as a research/project engineer. He worked there for 2 years on topics related to micro combustion and spray combustion; during this time his work on combustion was widely published for various journals and conferences. While working at The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Dr Khandelwal also completed his MBA in Project Management. In addition to research, presently Dr Khandelwal is also responsible for delivering lectures, supervising MSc and PhD students on Aerospace Propulsion and Combustion in The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Sheffield.
Dr Khandelwal is a American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Member, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) Member, ASME Combustion, Fuels and Emissions committee Member and AIAA Terrestrial Energy Systems Technical Committee Member. He is also recipient of a Royal Aeronautical Society Centennial Scholar, ASME IGTI Student Scholar for two consecutive years 2011 and 2012 and the IMechE Grant along with 15 national/international scholarships/awards. He has also delivered guest lectures at different conferences including Aero India 2009. Dr Khandelwal serves as the technical area organizer for AIAA conference and as a reviewer for different scientific journals. He has delivered several tutorials at leading conferences including AIAA SciTech.
Dr. Khandelwal has developed three novel ideas for gas turbine combustors and is in process of getting patent granted on them. These combustors would help in decreasing emissions and fuel consumption in a gas turbine engine. His research on fuels, emissions, combustion and combustors is widely published in journals and conferences. He has delivered several invited talks at prestigious conferences and meetings which includes, UK fuels standards committee (Aviation Fuels Committee (AFC 2018)), Aero India, Coordinating Research Council (CRC), British Embassy, AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference. He has also delivered tutorials at international prestigious conferences related to alternative fuels and combustion at AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference and AIAA SciTech 2018.
PhD Aerospace Engineering
MBA Project Management
BEng Mechanical Engineering
CiLT Learning and Teaching
Combustion, Micro Combustion, Gas Turbine Combustors, Alternative Fuels, PM Emissions, Gaseous Emissions, Hydrogen Combusiton, Hyrdrogen Combusters, Micro Combustors
Dr Jonathan Knapton
Ms Lukai Zheng
Mr Ihab Ahmed
Mr Chenxing Ling
Mr Charith J Wijesinghe
Mr Bandar AA Almohammadi
Mr Huanrong Lei
Mr James Cronly
Recent Research Projects
National Jet Fuel Combustion Program
UK MOD Fuels and lubricants: reducing cost of ownership
PM Measurement Instrument Comparisions
Effect of Aromatic Species on PM Emissions and Seals Compatability
Brief List of Awards and Achievements
- Recipient of prestigious ASME IGTI Student Scholar 2011
- Recipient of prestigious ASME IGTI Student Scholar 2012
- Royal Aeronautical Society Centennial Scholar 2012
- Recipient of RAeS Grant 2011, 2012
- Recipient of IMechE Grant.
- Invited to deliver a talk at The Aero India 2009 International Seminar organized by Defence Research and Development Organization and Aeronautical Society of India.
- Ubogu EA, Cronly J, Khandelwal B & Roy S (2018) Determination of the effective density and fractal dimension of PM emissions from an aircraft auxiliary power unit. Journal of Environmental Sciences (China).
- Khandelwal B, Cronly J & Okai K (2017) Testing alternative fuels, solar-thermal systems. Aerospace America, 55(11), 64-64. View this article in WRRO
- Matthaiou I, Khandelwal B & Antoniadou I (2017) Vibration Monitoring of Gas Turbine Engines: Machine-Learning Approaches and Their Challenges. Frontiers in Built Environment, 3. View this article in WRRO
- Lobo P, Christie S, Khandelwal B, Blakey SG & Raper DW (2015) Evaluation of Non-volatile Particulate Matter Emission Characteristics of an Aircraft Auxiliary Power Unit with Varying Alternative Jet Fuel Blend Ratios. Energy & Fuels, 29(11), 7705-7711. View this article in WRRO
- Khandelwal B, Lili D & Sethi V (2014) Design and study on performance of axial swirler for annular combustor by changing different design parameters. Journal of the Energy Institute, 87(4), 372-382.
- Khandelwal B, Banjo O & Sethi V (2014) Design, evaluation and performance analysis of staged low emission combustors. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 136(10).
- Khandelwal B, Roy S, Blakey S & Lord C (2014) Comparison of Vibrations and Emissions of Conventional Jet Fuel with Stressed 100% SPK and Fully Formulated Synthetic Jet Fuel. Aerospace, 1(2), 52-66. View this article in WRRO
- Khandelwal B (2014) Reforming Technologies to Improve the Performance of Combustion Systems. Aerospace, 1(2), 67-96. View this article in WRRO
- Khandelwal B, Karakurt A, Sethi V, Singh R & Quan Z (2013) Preliminary design and performance analysis of a low emission aero-derived gas turbine combustor. Aeronautical Journal, 117(1198), 1249-1271.
- Khandelwal B, Karakurt A, Sekaran PR, Sethi V & Singh R (2013) Hydrogen powered aircraft : The future of air transport. Progress in Aerospace Sciences.
- Karakurt A, Khandelwal B, Sethi V & Singh R (2012) Study of novel micromix combustors to be used in gas turbines; using hydrogen, hydrogen-methane, methane and kerosene as a fuel. 48th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 2012.
- Khandelwal B, Agarwal K, Karakurt A, Sethi V & Singh R (2012) Preliminary study of a novel gas turbine combustor concept based on hydrogen synthesis from kerosene reformation. 48th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 2012.
- Khandelwal B, Bao L, Kumar KS, Sethi V & Singh R (2011) Study of hybrid diffusers for use in gas turbine combustors. SAE Technical Papers.
- Sahota GPS, Khandelwal B & Kumar S (2011) Experimental investigations on a new active swirl based microcombustor for an integrated micro-reformer system. Energy Conversion and Management, 52(10), 3206-3213.
- Khandelwal B, Yan M, Hegde G, Sethi V & Singh R (2011) Design procedure of a reverse flow combustor for a helicopter engine with high temperature rise. SAE Technical Papers.
- Khandelwal B, Sahota GPS & Kumar S (2010) Investigations into the flame stability limits in a backward step micro scale combustor with premixed methane-air mixtures. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 20(9).
- Khandelwal B (2010) Future of ramjet and scramjet engine with options of using nuclear energy. Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India): Aerospace Engineering Journal, 91(NOV), 26-29.
- Khandelwal B & Kumar S (2010) Experimental investigations on flame stabilization behavior in a diverging micro channel with premixed methane-air mixtures. Applied Thermal Engineering, 30(17-18), 2718-2723.
- Khandelwal B, Deshpande AA & Kumar S () Experimental studies on flame stabilization in a three step rearward facing configuration based micro channel combustor. Applied Thermal Engineering, 58, 363-368.
Conference proceedings papers
- Gill T, Zheng L, Ubogu E, Ahmed I & Khandelwal B (2017) The Effect of the Sample Line Length on Gas Turbine Emissions Measurement. ASME Proceedings | Combustion, Fuels and Emissions, Vol. Volume 1: Compressors, Fans and Pumps; Turbines; Heat Transfer; Combustion, Fuels and Emissions. American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 7 February 2018 - 8 February 2018.
- Matthaiou I, Khandelwal B & Antoniadou (2017) Using Gaussian Processes to model combustion dynamics. ICSV24 Conference Proceedings View this article in WRRO
- Matthaiou I, Khandelwal B & Antoniadou I (2016) Towards a condition monitoring scheme for combustion instability detection and fuel blends performance classification in gas turbine engines using pattern recognition and advanced machine learning. E-JOURNAL OF NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING View this article in WRRO
- Ruslan M, Ahmed I & Khandelwal B (2016) Evaluating Effects of Fuel Properties on Smoke Emissions. Combustion, Fuels and Emissions, Vol. 4A, 13 June 2016 - 17 June 2016.
- Matthaiou I, Khandelwal B & Antoniadou I (2016) Towards a condition monitoring scheme for thermoacoustic instability detection and fuel blend performance classification using machine learning. 8th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, EWSHM 2016, Vol. 4 (pp 2679-2688)
- Roy S & Khandelwal B (2015) Comparison of gaseous and particulate emissions between Jet A-1 and severely hydro-processed fuel from conventional source. 13th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference
- Khandelwal B, Roy S, Lord C & Blakey S (2014) Effect of novel alternative fuels and compositions on vibrations of a gas turbine engine. 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2014
- Shankar VSB & Khandelwal B (2013) Comparison of jet fuel produced by nonconventional sources: Manufacturing, emission and performance. 11th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference
- Karakurt A, Khandelwal B, Sethi V & Singh R (2012) Evaluation of hydrogen combustors for gas turbines. 10th Annual International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, IECEC 2012
- Khandelwal B, Sekaran PR, Karakurt A, Sethi V & Singh R (2012) A review of hydrogen as a fuel for future air transport. 48th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 2012
- Hegde GB, Khandelwal B, Sethi V & Singh R (2012) Design, evaluation and performance analysis of staged low emission combustors. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 2(PARTS A AND B) (pp 867-875)
- Khandelwal B, Prakash A, Hegde G, Mahmood T & Sethi V (2011) Study on nuclear energy powered novel air transport model and its feasibility study. 47th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 2011
- Murthy P, Khandelwal B, Sethi V & Singh R (2011) Hydrogen as a fuel for gas turbine engines with novel micromix type combustors. 47th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 2011
- Khandelwal B, Li Y, Murthy P, Sethi V & Singh R (2011) Implication of different fuel injector configurations for hydrogen fuelled micromix combustors. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 4 (pp 293-298)
- Roy S, Khandelwal B & Lord CE () Influence of production pathways and sources of different fuels on Combustion Instabilities of a Gas Turbine Engine, 27 July 2015 - 29 July 2015.
- Akram M, Khandelwal B, Ubogu E, Blakey S & Wilson C () Experimental Analysis on Emission Production and Performance of Stressed 100 % SPK, Stressed Fully Formulated Synthetic Jet Fuel, Jet A-1 in a Small Gas Turbine Engine. 49th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference & Exhibit and 11th International Energy Conversi. San Jose, USA, 15 July 2013 - 17 July 2013.
- Akram M, Khandelwal B, Blakey S & Wilson CW () PRELIMINARY CALCULATIONS ON POST COMBUSTION CARBON CAPTURE FROM GAS TURBINES WITH FLUE GAS RECYCLE. ASME Turbo Expo 2013. San Antonio, 3 June 2013 - 7 June 2013.
- Zheng L, Ahmed I, Ubogu E & Khandelwal B () Evaluation of impact on Lean Blowout Limit and ignition delay while using alternative fuels on gas turbine combustor. ISABE 2017 View this article in WRRO