Dr Bhupendra Khandelwal
CEng, MBA, PhD
Low Carbon Combustion Centre
University of Sheffield,
Unit 2, Crown Works Industrial Estate
Rotherham Road, Sheffield,
S20 1AH, UK
Dr Bhupendra Khandelwal joined The University of Sheffield (Low Carbon Combustion Centre) in June 2012. He is working on combustion, emissions and performance of alternative fuel to be used in gas turbine engines and other combustion sources. He is leading combustion and emissions research areas at Low Carbon Combustion Centre. Dr. Khandelwal is working closely with large range of industries, government organisations and universities including FAA, Siemens, Rolls-Royce, UK MOD and Dstl. Prior to this position, he held a researcher position in Aerospace Engineering at Cranfield University, where he worked on gas turbine combustors. While at Cranfield University, he technically led a team of 11 MSc Researchers for project related to combustors. Dr Khandelwal completed his bachelors from India in 2008 and joined one of India’s top technical institutes, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay as a research/project engineer. He worked there for 2 years on topics related to micro combustion and spray combustion; during this time his work on combustion was widely published for various journals and conferences. While working at The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Dr Khandelwal also completed his MBA in Project Management. In addition to research, presently Dr Khandelwal is also responsible for delivering lectures, supervising MSc and PhD students on Aerospace Propulsion and Combustion in The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Sheffield.
Dr Khandelwal is a American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Member, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) Member, ASME Combustion, Fuels and Emissions committee Member and AIAA Terrestrial Energy Systems Technical Committee Member. He is also recipient of a Royal Aeronautical Society Centennial Scholar, ASME IGTI Student Scholar for two consecutive years 2011 and 2012 and the IMechE Grant along with 15 national/international scholarships/awards. He has also delivered guest lectures at different conferences including Aero India 2009. Dr Khandelwal serves as the technical area organizer for AIAA conference and as a reviewer for different scientific journals.
Dr. Khandelwal has developed three novel ideas for gas turbine combustors and is in process of getting patent granted on them. These combustors would help in decreasing emissions and fuel consumption in a gas turbine engine. His research on fuels, emissions, combustion and combustors is widely published in journals and conferences.
PhD Aerospace Engineering
MBA Project Management
BEng Mechanical Engineering
CiLT Learning and Teaching
Combustion, Micro Combustion, Gas Turbine Combustors, Alternative Fuels, PM Emissions, Gaseous Emissions, Hydrogen Combusiton, Hyrdrogen Combusters, Micro Combustors
Dr Jonathan Knapton
Mr Ihab Ahmed
Mr James Cronly
Recent Research Projects
National Jet Fuel Combustion Program
UK MOD Fuels and lubricants: reducing cost of ownership
PM Measurement Instrument Comparisions
Effect of Aromatic Species on PM Emissions and Seals Compatability
Brief List of Awards and Achievements
- Recipient of prestigious ASME IGTI Student Scholar 2011
- Recipient of prestigious ASME IGTI Student Scholar 2012
- Royal Aeronautical Society Centennial Scholar 2012
- Recipient of RAeS Grant 2011, 2012
- Recipient of IMechE Grant.
- Invited to deliver a talk at The Aero India 2009 International Seminar organized by Defence Research and Development Organization and Aeronautical Society of India.
- Khandelwal B, Lili D & Sethi V (2014) Design and study on performance of axial swirler for annular combustor by changing different design parameters. Journal of the Energy Institute, 87(4), 372-382.
- Khandelwal B, Roy S, Blakey S & Lord C (2014) Comparison of Vibrations and Emissions of Conventional Jet Fuel with Stressed 100% SPK and Fully Formulated Synthetic Jet Fuel. Aerospace, 1(2), 52-66. View this article in WRRO
- Khandelwal B, Karakurt A, Sekaran PR, Sethi V & Singh R (2013) Hydrogen powered aircraft : The future of air transport. Progress in Aerospace Sciences.
- Khandelwal B, Agarwal K, Karakurt A, Sethi V & Singh R (2012) Preliminary study of a novel gas turbine combustor concept based on hydrogen synthesis from kerosene reformation. 48th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 2012.
- Sahota GPS, Khandelwal B & Kumar S (2011) Experimental investigations on a new active swirl based microcombustor for an integrated micro-reformer system. Energy Conversion and Management, 52(10), 3206-3213.
- Khandelwal B, Bao L, Kumar KS, Sethi V & Singh R (2011) Study of hybrid diffusers for use in gas turbine combustors. SAE Technical Papers.
- Khandelwal B (2010) Future of ramjet and scramjet engine with options of using nuclear energy. Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India): Aerospace Engineering Journal, 91(NOV), 26-29.
- Khandelwal B & Kumar S (2010) Experimental investigations on flame stabilization behavior in a diverging micro channel with premixed methane-air mixtures. Applied Thermal Engineering, 30(17-18), 2718-2723.
- Khandelwal B, Deshpande AA & Kumar S () Experimental studies on flame stabilization in a three step rearward facing configuration based micro channel combustor. Applied Thermal Engineering, 58, 363-368.
Conference proceedings papers
- Matthaiou I, Khandelwal B & Antoniadou (2017) Using Gaussian Processes to model combustion dynamics. ICSV24 Conference Proceedings
- Ruslan M, Ahmed I & Khandelwal B (2016) Evaluating Effects of Fuel Properties on Smoke Emissions. Combustion, Fuels and Emissions, Vol. 4A, 13 June 2016 - 17 June 2016.
- Roy S & Khandelwal B (2015) Comparison of gaseous and particulate emissions between Jet A-1 and severely hydro-processed fuel from conventional source. 13th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference
- Khandelwal B, Roy S, Lord C & Blakey S (2014) Effect of novel alternative fuels and compositions on vibrations of a gas turbine engine. 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference 2014
- Khandelwal B, Prakash A, Hegde G, Mahmood T & Sethi V (2011) Study on nuclear energy powered novel air transport model and its feasibility study. 47th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit 2011
- Roy S, Khandelwal B & Lord CE () Influence of production pathways and sources of different fuels on Combustion Instabilities of a Gas Turbine Engine, 27 July 2015 - 29 July 2015.